Brady Quinn or Chris Leak?

major

If this season is a downer, which I hope it isn't, and we're picking in the top 5 in next year's draft, would you take Quinn or Leak as the QB of the Bills?

Honestly, I hope Losman does GREAT this year and this question is a mute one. However, for fun, who would you rather have?

well if we have a top 5 pick and before we automatically say we need to draft a qb maybe we would determine why we were a top 5 picking team.......what happens if j.p. plays lights out but the defense has no pass rush???????????you dont draft a brady quinn..just because he is there...

If this season is a downer, which I hope it isn't, and we're picking in the top 5 in next year's draft, would you take Quinn or Leak as the QB of the Bills?

Honestly, I hope Losman does GREAT this year and this question is a mute one. However, for fun, who would you rather have?

744243[/snapback]

If the question is who would you rather have, I would have to go with Quinn. He plays for Weiss in a pro style offense, and at times can look very similar to Tom Brady. I look at him as a Palmer/Manning type QB.

Leak could be good but I have to look down on the way he transitioned last year in Urban Meyers offense. I don't exactly think Florida’s offense is tailored to Leak, but I just don't see him catching on to the speed of the NFL very quickly.

Another potential guy to look out for is Drew Stanton, he reminds me of a more mobile Drew Brees, or Chad Pennington. He's a very accurate, smart player whose draft position will be determined by his senior year.

I'd take the best safety available.

744243[/snapback]

If the QB position was still not decided by the end of the season due to poor play of whichever QB was playing and we were in the top 5 then I would do whatever it took to get in position to draft Quinn. If it took trading to get to the 1 or 2 spot then so be it ...

... on the other hand if Losman plays better each and every game and by the end of the season his QB rating is around 80 or higher and he looks comfortable then I would draft the best lineman rounds 1-7

I'd take the best safety available.

744270[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHAHA....stop it, please, you're killing me....oh, geez, I just spit my coffee all over the monitor....the comic genius is too much.

:blush:

I wish our QBs would stop having newspaper-headline-euphamism names.

Playing the Flutie. Rob's Johnson. Bleed-so. Loss-man. Chris (Taking a) Leak....

'Brady Quinn' is generic-sounding.

(No, I'm not actually arguing we should select a QB by the arrangement of letters in their name).

Is this a serious question? Absolutely no contest. I'd choose Brady Quinn every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Quinn has the make-up of a franchise QB for years to come (the Tom Brady comparisons are too easy, though Brady was never this good in college). Maybe this QB soup we're in the process of making for this season isn't the worst thing, after all. If it nets us a primo draft spot and, ultimately Brady Quinn, I'll look back quite fondly on 2006.

well if we have a top 5 pick and before we automatically say we need to draft a qb maybe we would determine why we were a top 5 picking team.......what happens if j.p. plays lights out but the defense has no pass rush???????????you dont draft a brady quinn..just because he is there...

744244[/snapback]

agreed it depends on the situation if your OL cant give ya the protection or line push or the middle of our D is being run over like marshmellows the decision is to not draft a QB.

744243[/snapback]

Quinn won't be around at 2nd through 5th.

Here's an idea though, if we have the first pick, let's grab Quinn, release our starting line, promote our second team line to starters.

This is a complete "no brainer", you take Quinn. Quinn is by far the best QB prospect coming out of the college ranks since Carson Palmer. His arm strength is tremendous. His accuracy is amazing whether standing still, rolling out, short, medium, or deep routes. The thing that really makes him a great QB though is his decision making. And with Weis getting him ready for the NFL since last year, who should we take? Chris Leak? You can't be serious. Quinn will be a good NFL QB straight out the gate because of his tutelidge under Weis. It's not even certain whether Leak will be able to keep his starting spot all of this year in college. Not to mention that he's a little too up and down, for a QB, to play at the NFL level.

Wouldn't this discussion be more appropriate for the Texans?

If Carr does not step up this year.....that will be 5 full years they would have given him(compared to our 1.5 for JP)

I would think if he doesn't step up for them they will definitely be in a better possition to take Quinn than us.

Just a thought.

I wish our QBs would stop having newspaper-headline-euphamism names.

Playing the Flutie. Rob's Johnson. Bleed-so. Loss-man. Chris (Taking a) Leak....

'Brady Quinn' is generic-sounding.

(No, I'm not actually arguing we should select a QB by the arrangement of letters in their name).

744363[/snapback]

"Come all without, come all within, You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn.". :rolleyes:

I think troy smith is better than both of those guys.  His performance against ND last year was great.

744457[/snapback]

Troy Smith is a good college QB that had more draft picks around him on the same team than the average human being has fingers and toes. Of course he should perform well. But Quinn is a far better NFL prospect.

I'd hope beyond hope-again-that the Bills would consider addressing their lines. By trading down, drafing a stud tackle like Levi Brown of Penn State, and picking up an extra pick or more, they could begin to do just that.

Then again, I've been saying something similar to that for years and it never gets done. Well, there was the drafting of Mike Williams...

I'd hope beyond hope-again-that the Bills would consider addressing their lines.  By trading down, drafing a stud tackle like Levi Brown of Penn State, and picking up an extra pick or more, they could begin to do just that. 

Then again, I've been saying something similar to that for years and it never gets done.  Well, there was the drafting of Mike Williams...

744581[/snapback]

you know I think we should really start talking about who we are going to draft two years from now, before this season even starts. :rolleyes:

Any good freshman QB's out there. How about that Claussen kid? :w00t:

you know I think we should really start talking about who we are going to draft two years from now, before this season even starts. :rolleyes:

Any good freshman QB's out there. How about that Claussen kid? :w00t:

744584[/snapback]

Oops! Back to our regularly scheduled program of:

Losman Sucks

Holcomb Sucks

Levy Sucks

Jauron Sucks

Ralph Sucks

The Bills Suck

Whitner Was A Reach, Volumes I-VIII

McCargo Was A Reach, Volumes I-IV

Who's Your Favorite Bills Player?

Take your pick.

744243[/snapback]

None of the above. If he comes out early, I would rather have Adrian Peterson.

...or Calvin Johnson.

744613[/snapback]

Through luck or astuteness, B'gals have a decent OL bench.

Here are some numbers of some young players to watch, with an eye towards acquisition:

#62 Nate Livings G LSU, rookie

#61 Pete Lougheed T Purdue, 2nd year

#62 Kyle Takavitz G Cincinnati, 2nd year (sorry, not sure who is wearing #62)

#67 Steven Viera G UCLA 2nd year.

Rookie C Jesse Boone, Utah got cut today - he had #60.

BTW, C Ben Wilkerson played most of the 2nd half against WAS - seems he's healed. Had a fair outing - but got bamboozled big time, twice. Had a nice upfield block past the LOS on a right hand sweep. '05 4th rounder C Eric Ghiaciuc Central MI played a half at RG, so Wilkerson may be the Rich Braham replacement.

LT Levi Jones is out - ankle sprain.

744244[/snapback]

No, you don't draft Quinn JUST because he's there, but cause AJ Hawks sister would come along! :rolleyes:

Let's see what Quinn does this Year 1st...

But right now it would be no contest whatsoever...Quinn by a Mile...Add to that the fact he is getting Coached everyday by one of the better NFL OC's to come along in a while, and it further adds to Quinn's Resume...He looked like Tom Brady Jr. at times last Year...

I live in Charlotte, so I've followed Chris Leak since his early High School Days...He's a 6 ft. tall Pure Passer...Few of those types make it in the NFL...He'll have to overcome the lack of hight, and I'm not so sure he can do it...I hope he does though... :rolleyes:

we didn't draft a Matt Leinart when we had the chance, why choose Brady?

744798[/snapback]

In the AFC East weather conditions of Buffalo and elsewhere? No way. Leinart doesn't have enough of a gun. Good for Arizona, but he doesn't seem like a guy who would excel in a cold, windy environment.

744243[/snapback]

Trade down for proven vets or multiple picks so you can build a winning team.

As far as QB, I certainly would not take one in the first because even if you do well in this crapshoot and do not get Ryan Leaf (or Akili, or Harrington, etc.) it simply usually takes multiple years before your QB can lead your team to a win and the Golden Boys are not on a timeline for production in 2008 if a Quinn or Leak does well and get very lucky or more likely not until 2010 when you have enough of a team to actually make the playoffs,

Some folks will point to the helmetless Ben RoboQB as an example of why a 1st round choice can win it all immediately. However, one has to go back to Dallas selecting Aikman in 89 to find a 1st round QB choice who led the team which drafted him to a QB win or even back to 1999 to find one who even led his team to a SB berth with Mcnair and TN.

RoboQB right now is the exception that proves the rule you do not go after a QB in the 1st round if your goal is to win or even make it to the SB.

Its much easier and cheaper to pick up a 1st rounder drafted by another team like a Dilfer and then who is run out of town to QB your team to an SB berth, or to try to find a udfa like Warner or even a low round draft choice to develop. While it is unlikely to find this person, the facts show that this type of stud is more often found with UDFAs like Delhomme or past rejects like the twice cut Brad Johnson who recently got to or won SBs like folks such as Dilfer (was cut), Warner (UDFA). Brady (2nd day draft pick. Hasselbeck (2nd day draft pick).

Its amusing that folks often dismiss when these examples are brought with saying they are rarities, when actually drafting a player in the 1st round and having him take you to the SB or win it is even more rare.

The main difference is that Ryan Leaf costs you huge bucks and an acceletated cap hit when he fails. but drafting a crappy late rounder who fails costs you little and a UDFA costs you the vet minimum if you keep him around to carry the clipboard or to cut him.

Drafting Quinn or Leak is almost cetainly a losing strategy. Even if they are as good as Manning, they may never make it to the SB except with a ticket so far or never even take you deep into the playoffs except once so far.

I'm done drafting and developing QB's. It sucks. As much as we dog Bledsoe, he has been the best QB in Buffalo since 1996. He wasn't the answer, but at least he could step in and make the team competitive again, without the three-year learning curve.

I wouldn't draft either Quinn or Leak, and instead go after free agent-to-be Matt Schaub from Atlanta.