whichever receivers get cut

nodnarb

George Wilson, Nance, J. Smith, A. Davis, Aiken...at least 4 of these guys is not going to make the team, most likely. And they're all good enough to be at least #3 WR on any team, possibly with the exception of Nance. The best thing that can happen to the Bills right now is to see some injuries to WRs on other teams. It's still early enough in the preseason for WRs to learn a system and have an impact with the first few weeks of the season, and teams that are desperate for talent and depth at WR might be forced to make a trade. I figure our areas of depth need include DT, DE, and perhaps even TE if we're looking to upgrade there. Possibly RB, too. If we can't pull off a trade, I hope these guys don't end up in the AFC East, where there's a WR depth problem. Look at the WR rosters for New England and the Jets. It's talent poor, to say the least. And inexperienced to say the most. They're both going to be watching the waiver wire like hawks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Wilson, Nance, J. Smith, A. Davis, Aiken...at least 4 of these guys is not going to make the team, most likely. And they're all good enough to be at least #3 WR on any team, possibly with the exception of Nance. The best thing that can happen to the Bills right now is to see some injuries to WRs on other teams. It's still early enough in the preseason for WRs to learn a system and have an impact with the first few weeks of the season, and teams that are desperate for talent and depth at WR might be forced to make a trade. I figure our areas of depth need include DT, DE, and perhaps even TE if we're looking to upgrade there. Possibly RB, too. If we can't pull off a trade, I hope these guys don't end up in the AFC East, where there's a WR depth problem. Look at the WR rosters for New England and the Jets. It's talent poor, to say the least. And inexperienced to say the most. They're both going to be watching the waiver wire like hawks.

738522[/snapback]

So....just how good a player do you think these guys will fetch in the open market? Especially if these other teams KNOW they can sign them without offering the Bills ANY compensation AFTER the Turk visits?

I read a post on another board which basically states the same thing...how they hate the thought of not being able to keep all their stud wideouts and maybe the BILLS with their weak receiving corps will probably be watching like hawks to swoop down and snatch them up!

If Holcomb is named the starter, you might as well cut all of our WR's because we'll be running 98% of the time.

PTR

738537[/snapback]

If KH is named starter its a likely sign that the Rams east offense has been installed and a pass happy Bills offense is going to emphasize short passes and speedy receivers running after the catch.

In order for this to work a number of things will need to happen correctly in term of the Bills O. However, as we appear to have a crew of speed freak receovers who are showing good hands and concentration so far, have OL starters who performed better than last year's OL starters, and WM is being used in camp as a pass catcher so that he can play the checkdown receiver role Faulk player in St. L, it is not outrageous to see how this would work.

Holcomb would not have to air the ball out with long throws consistently which I agree he cannot do. He would need to make good reads to identify which WRs are single covered and he would have to dump off to WM quickly if there is not good RAC catch available.

This sounds like the type of game even a rsg arm with experience could do and the main challenge for Holcomb would be to stay healthy.

For the Bills the good news is that Losman is clearly more talented, it mostly if he has gotten enough experience for the game to slow down for him and he has learned the discipline to not try to win the game on his own with his legs and escapability.

George Wilson, Nance, J. Smith, A. Davis, Aiken...at least 4 of these guys is not going to make the team, most likely. And they're all good enough to be at least #3 WR on any team, possibly with the exception of Nance.

738522[/snapback]

Not to be a smart ass or anything, but what exactly, as a wide reciever, has Sam Aiken done to convince you he could be a #3 WR on any team? I know he is a good special teamer, but to me, he has looked kind of like a stiff, as a reciever...I think if Nance shows anything at all during training camp/pre-season, he will stick on the roster somehow. He is just different in stature than the rest of the corp...like a smallish tight-end...I think he is the least likely to be cut. Assuming Roscoe Parrish makes the team (which I do assume), his skills sort of make the rest of those guys skills obsolete....you can't keep them all. Because Aiken is such a valued special teamer, I kind of expect both he and Nance to make the squad, the Bills go WR heavy...Nance on the practice squad, perhaps.

George Wilson, Nance, J. Smith, A. Davis, Aiken...at least 4 of these guys is not going to make the team, most likely. And they're all good enough to be at least #3 WR on any team, possibly with the exception of Nance.

738522[/snapback]

What makes you believe that any of these WR's are good enough to be a #3 on all other NFL teams when except for Davis, none of them have ever filled that role in the NFL? I don't know what Aiken, Wilson or Smith have done with the Bills that led you to this opinion?

Hey, you might be right, I'm just going off of the chatter I've heard for a while that the WR depth league wide is not that good, and the fact that the NE receivers are either inexperienced, holding out, or injured. And the Jets don't have depth there either. I've read that they're not fond of their #2, McCareins. Also the comments from coach Tolbert today seems to back up the notion that our less experienced WRs have more promise than most #5s, #6s, #7s, etc.

Not to be a smart ass or anything, but what exactly, as a wide reciever, has Sam Aiken done to convince you he could be a #3 WR on any team?  I know he is a good special teamer, but to me, he has looked kind of like a stiff, as a reciever...I think if Nance shows anything at all during training camp/pre-season, he will stick on the roster somehow.  He is just different in stature than the rest of the corp...like a smallish tight-end...I think he is the least likely to be cut.  Assuming Roscoe Parrish makes the team (which I do assume), his skills sort of make the rest of those guys skills obsolete....you can't keep them all.  Because Aiken is such a valued special teamer, I kind of expect both he and Nance to make the squad, the Bills go WR heavy...Nance on the practice squad, perhaps.

738582[/snapback]

Not to be a smart ass or anything, but what exactly, as a wide reciever, has Sam Aiken done to convince you he could be a #3 WR on any team?  I know he is a good special teamer, but to me, he has looked kind of like a stiff, as a reciever...I think if Nance shows anything at all during training camp/pre-season, he will stick on the roster somehow.  He is just different in stature than the rest of the corp...like a smallish tight-end...I think he is the least likely to be cut.  Assuming Roscoe Parrish makes the team (which I do assume), his skills sort of make the rest of those guys skills obsolete....you can't keep them all.  Because Aiken is such a valued special teamer, I kind of expect both he and Nance to make the squad, the Bills go WR heavy...Nance on the practice squad, perhaps.

738582[/snapback]

To me the only givens at WR on the roster are Evans (#1), Parrish (#3 and primary punt returner see Az Hakim role) and Davis (#4). Thusly it looks like a battle between Price and Reed for the #2 spot with the odd man out to be cut as if we're keeping 5 WRs I'd rather the 5th guy contribute on special teams like Aiken can. To me Nance makes perfect sense for the practice squad as a) he was an undrafted free agent b)will probably take a year to develop and be a good replacement when Davis' contract ends up. c) Aiken might walk after this year due to lack of playing time/development. Or in line form if had to predict today:

1)Lee Evans

2)Peerless Price

3)Roscoe Parrish

4)Andre' Davis

5)Sam Aiken

PS Martin Nance

Goodbye everyone else.

738522[/snapback]

I'm not sure if what you've proposed makes sense?

Another team's backup WR goes down making them short on WR. We offer them one of our WR's (whom we'll most likely cut) for one of their other position guys, or perhaps say a draft pick...next year or something to help them with camp depth in preseason? I gather that the position guy we're after is a backup as well- as surely the value of a WR after #3 on depth chart isn't equivalent to a starter on the line? Just not sure if any of the proposed receivers we're offering is worthy of say a starting lineman or say NT from another team...now if 4 receivers go down...we're talking :angry:

The waiver wire is a different scenario, but look at how Price did in Dallas last year- inspite of what he's showing with a full camp so far...

To me the only givens at WR on the roster are Evans (#1), Parrish (#3 and primary punt returner see Az Hakim role) and Davis (#4). Thusly it looks like a battle between Price and Reed for the #2 spot with the odd man out to be cut as if we're keeping 5 WRs I'd rather the 5th guy contribute on special teams like Aiken can. To me Nance makes perfect sense for the practice squad as a) he was an undrafted free agent b)will probably take a year to develop and be a good replacement when Davis' contract ends up. c) Aiken might walk after this year due to lack of playing time/development. Or in line form if had to predict today:

1)Lee Evans

2)Peerless Price

3)Roscoe Parrish

4)Andre' Davis

5)Sam Aiken

PS Martin Nance

Goodbye everyone else.

738602[/snapback]

So you are saying goodbye to Josh Reed?

I would have to disagree.

I've got to disagree w/ so much of what you said. Sorry. If those guys aren't good enough to make our roster, (bear in mind, our offense has been near the bottom of the league for a couple years), I've gotta think there aren't too many teams that they would be major contributors on.

As for being trade bait, if someone like Moulds is worth little more than a box of tape, what do you think a team would give up for someone who if he isn't on the street in a couple weeks, is basically equivalent to dozens of others? You don't make a trade for a 4th or 5th WR.

As for them being snatched up quickly that is perhaps somewhat true. Wilson & Nance seem to have promise and are eligible for PS, so they would likely be picked up (& likely put on PS). Aiken is a proven ST contributor, so some team that is a bit weak/thin at WR & wants a ST producer will likely pick him up (maybe w/ ties to Greggggg in Wash or Mularkey in Mia?). If Davis doesn't make it here, that'll be 3 relative failures for him; I don't see anyone overly anxious to grab him. I would assume Fast Freddie is not eligible for PS & other than as a returner, hasn't shown much, so he, too, could likely find himself flipping burgers.

I don't see how any of the guys you mentioned are "shoe-ins" to be 3rd WRs for some teams out there. The guys you got are special teamers. Davis is an injury prone has been. Aiken is a special team guy. The others are no better than any 3rd WR in the league. The Bills have the worst talent in the league. NO team has worse talent. Thus, our worst are not going to be anyone's best.

I've got to disagree w/ so much of what you said. Sorry.  If those guys aren't good enough to make our roster, (bear in mind, our offense has been near the bottom of the league for a couple years), I've gotta think there aren't too many teams that they would be major contributors on.

As for being trade bait, if someone like Moulds is worth little more than a box of tape, what do you think a team would give up for someone who if he isn't on the street in a couple weeks, is basically equivalent to dozens of others?  You don't make a trade for a 4th or 5th WR.

As for them being snatched up quickly that is perhaps somewhat true.  Wilson & Nance seem to have promise and are eligible for PS, so they would likely be picked up (& likely put on PS).  Aiken is a proven ST contributor, so some team that is a bit weak/thin at WR & wants a ST producer will likely pick him up (maybe w/ ties to Greggggg in Wash or Mularkey in Mia?).  If Davis doesn't make it here, that'll be 3 relative failures for him; I don't see anyone overly anxious to grab him.  I would assume Fast Freddie is not eligible for PS & other than as a returner, hasn't shown much, so he, too, could likely find himself flipping burgers.

738621[/snapback]

------------

totally agree

So....just how good a player do you think these guys will fetch in the open market? Especially if these other teams KNOW they can sign them without offering the Bills ANY compensation AFTER the Turk visits?

I read a post on another board which basically states the same thing...how they hate the thought of not being able to keep all their stud wideouts and maybe the BILLS with their weak receiving corps will probably be watching like hawks to swoop down and snatch them up!

738570[/snapback]

Everyone knows this deep down in. We have a 50/50 chance of having a #1 in Evans. The rest of them are a bunch of 3's, 4's and 5's. Our WR's may surprise us and be decent............but they also are about the same distance away from being the worst corps in the league.

Just for laughs, what board was that? And I think the Bills should be contacting the Cowboys about a trade, since they either did or will contact Freddie Mitchell to possibly play for them. :angry:

If Holcomb is named the starter, you might as well cut all of our WR's because we'll be running 98% of the time.

PTR

738537[/snapback]

Seriously, can we stop with the Holcomb bashing please? It is getting so old. I want JP to start and it seems the right way to go but JHC, KH is a solid pro who won games on a team with an awful defense and awful coaching. Awful Qbs don't go on the road and beat Cincy (but McGee single handely won us that game :angry: ) and have us in a position to beat New England on the road for the first time in forever (but he threw a 3 yard pass :doh:).

Point is, if JP can't beat out KH, I don't want him to play. Those guys aren't busting their butts in camps to not be put in the best position to win. So hopefully, JP will win and we will have a great backup.

As for the original post, I think we have some excellent wrs on this team. They are very comparable to those high powered Rams teams. Holt = Evans, Bruce = Price, and Hakim = Parrish (though probably more likely Reed). Let's jsut hope we have someone to get them the ball and have time to deliver it.

The Jets have as bad a WR situation as NE. They're cutting their depth and bringing in new faces this late in the game. NE just signed FA Eddie Berlin.

Jets | Hill signed

Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:45:35 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the team has signed free agent WR Mario Hill (Titans).

Jets | C. Williams signed

Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:45:28 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the team has signed free agent WR Curtis Williams (Giants).