We re-signed Ryan Denney

I am happy as well, but have no illusions that while he is a helpful contributor to the team, he is a player who can fill in the right spot at the right cost but he is not a player to build around.

The bottomline is while I am happy he is here it needs to be at the right cost. I'm not certain what that exact amount is under the new salary cap amount, but even though signed a year later under the new cap his contract amount should be no where near what we paid to resign fellow DE Schobwl who not only gets more sacks, but covered better in the zone blitz, was comparable as a run stopper but does not have the motor Schobel has.

Denney intrigues me. I kept getting the feeling that he was going to be one of those guys that got to start someplace else and haVE a really good year, then we would all be kicking ourselves. I am glad to have "The Stormin' Mormon" back!

Denney intrigues me. I kept getting the feeling that he was going to be one of those guys that got to start someplace else and haVE a really good year, then we would all be kicking ourselves. I am glad to have "The Stormin' Mormon" back!

640348[/snapback]

Josh Reed syndrome, eh?

I like Marv's tactics with the Bills' free agents so far. Let them go out and test the market. This way we don't overpay and they feel like they got a fair shake.

640368[/snapback]

It is what Pittsburgh and New England have been doing for years. You'll lose the occasional great player to somebody who is willing to offer the extravagant contract, but more often than not you'll keep your role players (and potential starters) at a reasonable cost.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion...The Jets game that I attended in person last year..Denny had 2 sacks where he fought through double teams..the guy has some talents and has developed! He is a fine rotational DE...a high character guy...Welcome back Ryan.

640348[/snapback]

I'm disappointed that the Steelers apparently showed no interest in him, though, as they supposedly wanted to draft him. As far as I know, their defensive line is intact so that may have something to do with it.

I am happy as well, but have no illusions that while he is a helpful contributor to the team, he is a player who can fill in the right spot at the right cost but he is not a player to build around.

The bottomline is while I am happy he is here it needs to be at the right cost.  I'm not certain what that exact amount is under the new salary cap amount, but even though signed a year later under the new cap his contract amount should be no where near what we paid to resign fellow DE Schobwl who not only gets more sacks, but covered better in the zone blitz, was comparable as a run stopper but does not have the motor Schobel has.

640270[/snapback]

Damn, all this time I thought he was the second coming of reggie white.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion...The Jets game that I attended in person last year..Denny had 2 sacks where he fought through double teams..the guy has some talents and has developed! He is a fine rotational DE...a high character guy...Welcome back Ryan.

640420[/snapback]

I concur. Denny has developed into a solid player and can fit into the rotation. We were looking at Jared Devries and I wondered about Denny. Denny has accomplished more than Devries.

Good move. We still need a run stuffer (Ngata/ Bunkley) and another DE.

Yes, we have Schoebel and Kelsey and now Denney.  I believe we need to add another DE.  Three o the roster is thin and Jauron like to plays waves of linemen. 

What point are you trying to make?

640821[/snapback]

With 3 solid DEs on the roster I would think we would be looking for help at most other possitions first...though point well taken in that another quality DE would certainly help.

640420[/snapback]

I agree, and I am thrilled to have him back. I am thinking that Denney is as good a backup DE that does exist. At his age, he is entering his prime as well.

DEs that can play at all are VERY hard to get. It's all good. :lol:

Yes, we have Schoebel and Kelsey and now Denney.  I believe we need to add another DE.  Three o the roster is thin and Jauron like to plays waves of linemen. 

What point are you trying to make?

640821[/snapback]

Make that 4 DE's. We signed Mark Word during the offseason too.

Make that 4 DE's. We signed Mark Word during the offseason too.

640887[/snapback]

Oh yes, Wood. He is a special project, hasn't played in a few years. We will probably draft a DE in the later rounds or get more bodies as RFA's.

DT is the area that need much work (as does the OL).

I'm disappointed that the Steelers apparently showed no interest in him, though, as they supposedly wanted to draft him. As far as I know, their defensive line is intact so that may have something to do with it.

640427[/snapback]

That's the missing puzzle that the Superbowl champs need........