Holcomb or Losman in 2006??

LabattBlue

Jauron wants Losman, Holcomb to compete for starting job

February 14, 2006

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- J.P. Losman won't be handed the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback job for next season. This time, he's going to have to earn it from Kelly Holcomb.

Newly hired coach Dick Jauron said he'll open the job to a competition this spring between Losman and Holcomb, the veteran journeyman with the hope of having a starter ready by the start of training camp.

How about Losman versus just about anybody BUT Holcomb. The thought of this guy being the starting QB for 2006, makes me want to fast forward through the 2006 season and right into 2007. 0:)

When San Diego fails to seal the deal and Drew Brees is on the open market, we should grab him. Better than Losman or Holcomb. I am a fan of JP, but if someone better is on the market, we've gotta take a run at it.

If that doesn't happen, my fear is that we are going to have another year of the veterans wanting to win now and not supporting Losman. Fast forward to 2007 indeed.

Jauron wants Losman, Holcomb to compete for starting job

February 14, 2006

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- J.P. Losman won't be handed the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback job for next season. This time, he's going to have to earn it from Kelly Holcomb.

Newly hired coach Dick Jauron said he'll open the job to a competition this spring between Losman and Holcomb, the veteran journeyman with the hope of having a starter ready by the start of training camp.

How about Losman versus just about anybody BUT Holcomb.  The thought of this guy being the starting QB for 2006, makes me want to fast forward through the 2006 season and right into 2007.  0:)

603365[/snapback]

His 70% completion percentage had me boiling.

If Losman cant beat out Holcomb come training camp this time around, that will pretty much seal losmans fate as a non factor in the future of the bills. Save the stuff about not getting time, and being injured, by now he's had more then enough reps, and practice time to compete, if he can't do it time to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a Jon Kitna, or Steve Mcnair once the titans more then likely release him. Both are better options. I also wouldn't mind Holcomb, if we improve the lines. I hope the kid improves enough to take the job and run with it though. It would indeed be beneficial to the future of this team, but if he doesnt I wont be losing sleep about it.

If Losman cant beat out Holcomb come training camp this time around, that will pretty much seal losmans fate as a non factor in the future of the bills.  Save the stuff about not getting time, and being injured, by now he's had more then enough reps, and practice time to compete, if he can't do it time to look elsewhere.

603505[/snapback]

I'm banking hope on the idea that the new Bill's brass won't think along these lines that you mentioned. It can be frustrating for fans , but lot's of guys truly take more than 8 starts and a couple camps to put it all together. Usually, the team that sees progress (the key) in a guy and displays patience with him will be rewarded down the line.

I'm banking hope on the idea that the new Bill's brass won't think along these lines that you mentioned. It can be frustrating for fans , but lot's of guys truly take more than 8 starts and a couple camps to put it all together. Usually, the team that sees progress (the key) in a guy and displays patience with him will be rewarded down the line.

603511[/snapback]

Fortunately for Losman, few fans care about immediate gratification. Most fans think long-term and big-picture. 0:)

603511[/snapback]

I agree, and I hope Losman shows progress, enough that he beats out Holcomb for the job, and I'll gladly take the growing pains of a qb with only 8 starts under the belt. I didn't mean to imply that he has to be some type of world beater, just show enough that he can at least give us as good of a chance as the guy he's competing against in Holcomb. I dont think thats too much to ask at this point in time.

He reminds me of the quarterback we could've used in 2004, someone who controls TOP, converts third downs, and takes high percentage passes.

603375[/snapback]

I know what you're saying. It's hard not to think about whether the Bills could have made the playoffs in 2004 if only Holcomb had been under center. But deep down, I know the 2004 Bills were flawed enough that even if they'd made it to the playoffs, they wouldn't have advanced very far. Still though. A playoff game or two would have been nice.

Holcomb is a good QB, just not long term.  If Losman isnt where we want him to be, Ide rather go with Holcomb and have Losman come in if Holcomb gets hurt.  I think thats the best way to do it.  Then we hope Losman runs away with the job.

603401[/snapback]

Losman will run away with the job - or we'd better be looking for a QB 'cause with Holcomb, we are DOOMED!

His 70% completion percentage had me boiling.

603378[/snapback]

First of all his completion was 67.4, but feel free to round it up as high as you would like. Beyond that, if you think that Holcomb is anything more than a good #2 career backup, think again. I didn't see much in his play last year to make me believe that I want this guy as the Bills starter for the 2006 season.

If Losman can't raise his play to a level where the Bills name him the starter, we lose on two counts...

1.Losman was more than likely a wasted draft pick.

2.The season rest on Holcombs shoulders(and arm).

First of all his completion was 67.4, but feel free to round it up as high as you would like.     Beyond that, if you think that Holcomb is anything more than a good #2 career backup, think again.  I didn't see much in his play last year to make me believe that I want this guy as the Bills starter for the 2006 season. 

If Losman can't raise his play to a level where the Bills name him the starter, we lose on two counts...

1.Losman was more than likely a wasted draft pick.

2.The season rest on Holcombs shoulders(and arm).

603645[/snapback]

Accuracy is big time when talking about QB's. 67.4% is great, even though many passes were dink and dunk.

Holcomb is better than some people say. But, I think you start Holcomb and let Losman come in off the bench due to injury and hopefully run away with the job. Holcomb doesnt stay healthy, so its likely he would be hurt at some point during the year.

Holcomb is not a long term answer, but he can get the job done.

Holcomb beating out an unproven 1st round pick is no big deal if the 1st round pick cant play. Thats pretty simple.

One thing you know with Holcomb is he will be on the money with the short to intermediate throws, but lacks the arm to go downfield. However, arm strength can be overcome with good timing and accuracy, which Holcomb has.

Holcomb is the perfect QB to be starting in Buffalo with a young talent waiting in the wings.

I think playing Losman over Holcomb would be a huge mistake unless Losman actually looks like an NFL QB in training camp and preseason, because last year he was bad in camp and bad in the preseason.

But, I think you start Holcomb and let Losman come in off the bench due to injury and hopefully run away with the job.  Holcomb doesnt stay healthy, so its likely he would be hurt at some point during the year.

603650[/snapback]

In your scenario, if Losman is coming in off the bench during the regular season, that means he couldn't beat out Holcomb in the offseason. So what makes you believe the lightbulb would come on for JP in the middle of the season?

In your scenario, if Losman is coming in off the bench during the regular season, that means he couldn't beat out Holcomb in the offseason.  So what makes you believe the lightbulb would come on for JP in the middle of the season?

603656[/snapback]

Because you never know when the light bulb will come on. Until Losman shows he can play, i wouldnt start him over Holcomb.

He looked bad in camp, it transfered to the preseason, and then to the regular season.

He has to atleast perform well in camp and make some things happen in preseason.

In my opinion, You let the guy come in off the bench due to injury, with no pressure, and hopefully he just takes it and runs away with the job.

QB's dont have a little turkey pop up thing that tells you he is ready.

I'll tell you right now, if Losman performs in training camp like he did last year, he will enter the season behind both Holcomb and Mathews.

Mick Jaurlevy is avoiding making the brutal mistake made by Mularkey last offseason -- handing the car keys to an unproven player when there is an experienced, respected player on the roster. If Mick said "J.P. is the starter going into camp" lots of folks would say, "huh?" I'll also wager, however, that you would get an equal number of puzzled looks if Mick named Holcomb the de facto starter. Letting everyone know the position is up for grabs is the ONLY smart way to handle it, in my opinion. There's a tad more brainpower at the top of the Bills' organization than we've seen in a while.

Holcomb is not a long term answer, but he can get the job done.

603650[/snapback]

If 'the job' you're referring to is a 7-9 season, then yes you're right, Holcomb can get the job done. Also, look for Willis McGahee to be staring at the other team's safety lined up as an extra LB, because Holcomb doesn't throw more than 7 yards downfield.

I don't think that a compettition for the starting spot is a bad idea, but I still think you bring in another veteran to compete with them.

Also I don't thiunk JP has to be spectacular in the preseason and camp to win the job. I think he just has to show signs of improvement over last year and that he only needs a little bit of time to be better. I believe Holcomb will need to have an amazing camp and preseason to be named the starter cause he has been in the league for a while and by starting him you are delaying your future QB's developments for a chance at making the playoffs. And by staring Holcomb you are also showing that Losman is not the man for the job.

How about Losman versus just about anybody BUT Holcomb.  The thought of this guy being the starting QB for 2006, makes me want to fast forward through the 2006 season and right into 2007.  :devil:

603365[/snapback]

Agreed...This just doesn't make any sense......Holcomb has proved that he

cannot take a team into the playoffs, both at Cleveland and Buffalo...Why

are we still trying to make this guy a starting QB....If you want to put the

heat on JP, go get a QB who can start consistently in the league...Even

a Jon Kitna is a better option to compete for the starting job.......Keeping

Holcomb and JP around and allowing them to fight for the starting job is

only going to SPLIT this team.........

I would be fine with Holcomb as our starter in 2006.

He reminds me of the quarterback we could've used in 2004, someone who controls TOP, converts third downs, and takes high percentage passes.

603375[/snapback]

Someone who cannot take you to the playoffs, because he cannot throw

a pass beyond 5 yards. ...

If a better quarterback falls into our laps between now and next season without wasting a draft choice or spending salary cap money...fine. However we have a lot more problems than quarterback that we should be spending our money and draft picks on this year. We don't solve our line problems it won't matter who is the quarterback.

If a better quarterback falls into our laps between now and next season without wasting a draft choice or spending salary cap money...fine. However we have a lot more problems than quarterback that we should be spending our money and draft picks on this year. We don't solve our line problems it won't matter who is the quarterback.

603741[/snapback]

Certainly you know that I do not advocate using lots of resources on another qb, but imo it might serve us well to draft a mid-round qb if they think that one looks good.

If Matthews retires or is cut, the money would be the same or less, and we do have an extra 3rd.

Certainly you know that I do not advocate using lots of resources on another qb, but imo it might serve us well to draft a mid-round qb if they think that one looks good.

If Matthews retires or is cut, the money would be the same or less, and we do have an extra 3rd.

603746[/snapback]

I think we will probably get Ngata in the first, an O-Lineman in the second, and there will be some good tight ends and good O and D Linemen left in the third. A quarterback in the fourth? Maybe, but not a high priority.

I think we will probably get Ngata in the first, an O-Lineman in the second, and there will be some good tight ends and good O and D Linemen left in the third.  A quarterback in the fourth?  Maybe, but not a high priority.

603748[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly.

I can't see keeping Matthews when we could develop a kid in that spot who could possibly help us down the road.

I see the majority has spoken again and is displaying it's usual patience. They have generously declared a new deadline of Week 1, 2006 for JP to "make or break" his career. :devil: If he's not starting by then, he's a bust (still with 8 career starts)!!! This is really getting ridiculous.

If Holcomb is named starter over JP, I will consider it the Bills giving up on him and being a bust (and I am a supporter of JP for QB and that he only needs time to develop)

I think this is just to please the veterans and fans so thatwhen next season starts, and the bills have JP as their QB they can say he was the better QB.

I see the majority has spoken again and is displaying it's usual patience. They have generously declared a new deadline of Week 1, 2006 for JP to "make or break" his career.  :devil: If he's not starting by then, he's a bust (still with 8 career starts)!!! This is really getting ridiculous.

603756[/snapback]

He is going into his third year. How many more years do you want to give him?

604112[/snapback]

However many years it takes to get more than 8 career starts. Get him to 30 starts, then talk all you want about whether or not he is a bust.

604112[/snapback]

Holcomb started ONE game in his first five years and only made 5 appearances. Cleveland must have been REALLY stupid to give him a chance. :devil:

Kelly Holcomb was the better QB last year by far. If he is brought back (which appears he is), he definitely deserves a shot at the job. So far, the biggest knock against Holcomb is that he doesn't throw deep. While he doesn't have a cannon, I think he completed a high percentage of deep throws. As for JP, I really hope he wins the job. He brings more physically to the table. But you just can't give someone a job. You have to earn it. And I think both QBs will benefit from better playcalling that utilize more downfield passing. But that's my two cents.

However many years it takes to get more than 8 career starts. Get him to 30 starts, then talk all you want about whether or not he is a bust.

604122[/snapback]

Holcomb is at 21 career starts right now, so let's give him nine more starts to see if he can be the real deal.

Holcomb started ONE game in his first five years and only made 5 appearances.  Cleveland must have been REALLY stupid to give him a chance.  :doh:

604126[/snapback]

Was Cleveland paying him first round money? No. Did Cleveland use his presence on the roster to conclude the position of starting QB didn't need to be addressed? No.

With Holcomb, the Browns were letting a guy linger on the roster, on the off chance he might amount to something. But the Bills have committed to making Losman the QB of the future, and are unlikely to seriously address the QB position while that commitment still exists. Since this is the case, Losman had better start showing something in his third year in the NFL.

I said it before but since I am in the presence of crusaders I will say it again. Holcomb was brought here to be the back-up. He's been a back-up virtually his entire career. He plays like a very good back-up and has a lot of qualities you look for in a back-up. We paid him back-up money and announced him on the podium as the back-up. He practically bragged about being okay with being the back-up, showing a back-up's mentality. We practiced him like a back-up in the off season and he played like a back-up in pre-season.

So we started him.

Holcomb is at 21 career starts right now, so let's give him nine more starts to see if he can be the real deal.

604277[/snapback]

Holcomb is a very capable backup in this league and has proven that. He seems to be able to hold things together if all else is going well, atleast for a couple games in a row. I don't personally think that he has shown progress in a number of years though, and I realize that's not all his fault. Also, his potential maximized would represent a much lower bar than would JP's potential maximized. If JP is still not ready after camp I am ok with Holcomb getting the nod until that time comes.

I said it before but since I am in the presence of crusaders I will say it again. Holcomb was brought here to be the back-up. He's been a back-up virtually his entire career. He plays like a very good back-up and has a lot of qualities you look for in a back-up. We paid him back-up money and announced him on the podium as the back-up. He practically bragged about being okay with being the back-up, showing a back-up's mentality. We practiced him like a back-up in the off season and he played like a back-up in pre-season.

So we started him.

604512[/snapback]

What the Bills do at QB really depends on the mentality of the coaches. Frankly, I feel the Bills are a few years away from being a good team, so they shouldn't shy away from guys who might take 2 - 3 years to contribute such as Cutler. But if they're looking for more of a win-now situation (which is what the 87 year old owner seems to want), then you have to think Holcomb.

Guest BackInDaDay
What the Bills do at QB really depends on the mentality of the coaches. Frankly, I feel the Bills are a few years away from being a good team, so they shouldn't shy away from guys who might take 2 - 3 years to contribute such as Cutler. But if they're looking for more of a win-now situation (which is what the 87 year old owner seems to want), then you have to think Holcomb.

604525[/snapback]

I'd rather go into '06 with Kelly H. behind the center of an improved O-line, and the pick you would use for Cutler starting on our D. I got no problems with Holcomb. I think Losman's got the physical tools to be a bigger offensive threat than Kelly, but if our D and STs improve we may be allowed the luxury of asking our QBs to manage games, rather than make plays to win them.

Of course, there will be games where the outcome sits with our QB's ability to make a play or two. In Donahoe's defense, this is why he drafted Losman and released Bledsoe. He knew DB couldn't make those plays. He was gambling that JP could. The jury's still out on that one, and since I've never seen what KH can do when the chips are down, the jury's out on him too. We could do worse that having these two in camp fighting for the #1 spot.