New Bills Coaches...

The Senator

For those not listening to WGR...

Alex Van Pelt - Offensive Quality Control.

Turk Schonert - Quarterbacks Coach

Charlie Coiner - Tight Ends Coach

Bills Coaches

Also, for those reading this while driving, the Skyway is closed.

602127[/snapback]

Nice job, Sen. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. BUT...no email? I hadda find out about this on a message board? :wacko:

Heard on WGR that Van Pelt has been hired as OQC coach and turk schonert is the QB coach. Interesting. I Like AVP. He understands the game, and I'm glad he got the hire. I think this job is right up his alley.

602225[/snapback]

[/quote

I thought QB coach at UB was up his alley??!!

I'm not thrilled with Turk. I recall reading a story that exposed the Bills locker room split with DF/RJ & one part said Schonert took Flutie's side & refused to coach RJ. If that story was true, I wonder if he'll throw JP under the bus if he likes Holcomb better.

I'm not thrilled with Turk.  I recall reading a story that exposed the Bills locker room split with DF/RJ & one part said Schonert took Flutie's side & refused to coach RJ.  If that story was true, I wonder if he'll throw JP under the bus if he likes Holcomb better.

602288[/snapback]

Wow. Haven't heard that one. If it's true...well, it sucks. But, it's pretty hard to believe as presented. A coach refused to coach a player he was responsible for coaching? That's a biggee!

I'm not thrilled with Turk.  I recall reading a story that exposed the Bills locker room split with DF/RJ & one part said Schonert took Flutie's side & refused to coach RJ.  If that story was true, I wonder if he'll throw JP under the bus if he likes Holcomb better.

602288[/snapback]

Gruden couldnt coach Johnson either. The guy was a complete loss playing QB. Ive seen more from JP in 8 starts then I have from Johnson while he was here.

Flutie won games. There was no RJ vs Flutie, it was Front office/owner vs. Flutie.

602288[/snapback]

Maybe he'll learn more if thrown under a bus. JP did say that he learned more on sideline with broken leg than he could have learned on the field.

Good for Alex.

OQC is probably a better position for him because

1. They have a novice OC.

2. They have a head coach w/o offense coaching experience

3. Qbs either have it or don't - QB coach can only do so much and Wyche was one of the best

4. From booth he probably saw more film than most of the coaches other than Smith

5. OQC gives him access to all parts of offense not just QB and Alex was well known for diagnosing defenses.

Murphy must be estatic!

Maybe he'll learn more if thrown under a bus.  JP did say that he learned more on sideline with broken leg than he could have learned on the field.

Good for Alex. 

OQC is probably a better position for him because

1. They have a novice OC. 

2. They have a head coach w/o offense coaching experience

3. Qbs either have it or don't - QB coach can only do so much and Wyche was one of the best

4. From booth he probably saw more film than most of the coaches other than Smith

5. OQC gives him access to all parts of offense not just QB and Alex was well known for diagnosing defenses.

Murphy must be estatic!

602570[/snapback]

6. The 2005 Bills offense really lacked in quality and control :wacko:

Charlie Coiner was my college roommate for 2 years at Catawba College as I pointed out in another thread. He is a tremendously hard worker and a good guy. He has told me on numerous occasions what a great guy/coach Jauron is. I'm looking forward to coming to Buffalo next fall!

I think AVP put the screws to UB on this one. If he didn't want the UB job and had his heart set on an NFL job(he was sniffing around Green Bay prior to the Bills opening), why not just stay with Murph until something opened up. I think the last thing Turner Gill needs as he tries to turn this program around is to have guys flip flopping on him. :(

I think AVP put the screws to UB on this one.  If he didn't want the UB job and had his heart set on an NFL job(he was sniffing around Green Bay prior to the Bills opening), why not just stay with Murph until something opened up.  I think the last thing Turner Gill needs as he tries to turn this program around is to have guys flip flopping on him. :(

602929[/snapback]

While I feel bad for Turner and UB Football, it says to me AVP wants to be a coach. If you want to be a coach, you have to start coaching. Coaching at UB is a far better way to become a coach than sitting in the booth with Murph. Coaching with the Bills (with Marv, no less) is far better than coaching with the barely D1 UB Bulls.

I'm guessing Murph and Turner are happy for AVP and have no ill-will. I'm just guessing.

I think AVP put the screws to UB on this one.   If he didn't want the UB job and had his heart set on an NFL job(he was sniffing around Green Bay prior to the Bills opening), why not just stay with Murph until something opened up.  I think the last thing Turner Gill needs as he tries to turn this program around is to have guys flip flopping on him. 0:)

602929[/snapback]

Huh?? AVP joined the U.B coaching staff on January 4th. MM didn't resign until January 13th. How was Alex supposed to know that the Bills had any job opennings?

And from the sound of the Mike McCarthy, AVP wasn't returning his phone calls about the Green Bay QB job.

UB's not gonna have a problem filling the position.

UB's not gonna have a problem filling the position.

603272[/snapback]

It's quality not quantity that matters. Are they going to fill the position...of course. Are they going to get someone of high quality at this point in the season. I doubt it.

I guess I just viewed AVP as a plus for UB and didn't want to see him jump ship one month into the job.