Ralph Wilson

Corp000085

By the way, he just announced that he's the new President of the BUffalo Bills

553103[/snapback]

That's an economic issue. He is now an employee. The position allows for pay and big buck deferred options that can remove considerable sums from estate capital gains. Evrey owner learned lessons from IRS vs. Mike Brown et al.

I wish he would announce he's selling the team or handing the reigns over to someone more capable. He's the reason we cant get a decent coach or gm. Only good one we had(Polian) he got rid of.

Glad to hear that Modrak will remain the head of football operations.

He's a better judge of talent than donahoe.

I hope Ralph doesn't get *too* involved...he's older than some stones. You can't tax an old body like that with administrative concerns...

553103[/snapback]

I can't believe it took a question from the media for Ralph to announce that!

"Good question, I'm glad you asked. I'm taking my prozac like a mother and I'm the new President."

I think if that question wasn't asked, we wouldn't know Ralph was the new pres. It was like he totally forgot to annoucne it.

The reporters were on him like predators. Ralph managed that press conference as well as anyone could have! Good job!

He is long winded, looking old, but he's standing straight, and making his points.  The guy still has it.

553103[/snapback]

We all should be as sharp as Ralph when we are his age. No one brought up how Ralph apologized for TD having security taking away people's protest signs the last two home games. He stressed censoring fans is NOT Bills policy!

PTR

That's an economic issue. He is now an employee. The position allows for pay and big buck deferred options that  can remove considerable sums from estate capital gains. Evrey owner learned lessons from IRS vs. Mike Brown et al.

553171[/snapback]

RW was always president, until TD. Seeing what a great job Donahoe did with the position, I think it's an upgrade. :)

I am trying to think of a single NFL team that has sustained success when the owner insists on meddling in the football decisions.

Yeah, Jerry Jones has a couple SB rings, but he blew that to hell when he pushed pork-face satan out the door.

I dont think Ralph will be meddling at all...all he said is that he's going from absolutely no dealings with the daily operations to some. My best guess is he'll just stay more informed than he has the last 5 years and give his opinion when needed. Ralph never struck me as a Al Davis/Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder owner...he'll be involved more but nothing overbearing I think.

I dont think Ralph will be meddling at all...all he said is that he's going from absolutely no dealings with the daily operations to some.  My best guess is he'll just stay more informed than he has the last 5 years and give his opinion when needed.  Ralph never struck me as a Al Davis/Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder owner...he'll be involved more but nothing overbearing I think.

553288[/snapback]

There's no point in using logic today...the inmates aren't in the mood.

I am trying to think of a single NFL team that has sustained success when the owner insists on meddling in the football decisions.

Yeah, Jerry Jones has a couple SB rings, but he blew that to hell when he pushed pork-face satan out the door.

553277[/snapback]

DENVER

Glad to hear that Modrak will remain the head of football operations.

553215[/snapback]

Ralph didn't say this. He said that Modrak will remain as the Assistant GM with more time spent in Buffalo. I didn't know before today that Modrak was based out of Jacksonville. They didn't really go into how much time he has spent in Buffalo over the last couple of years.

Ralph didn't say this.  He said that Modrak will remain as the Assistant GM with more time spent in Buffalo.  I didn't know before today that Modrak was based out of Jacksonville.  They didn't really go into how much time he has spent in Buffalo over the last couple of years.

553438[/snapback]

Ralph was so emphatic about "more time here" that I have to believe this was quite an issue.

Ralph came out and publicly said he's not going to let the Bills draft anyone in the first four rounds unless he sees them, and presumably puts his rubber stamp on it. That, to me, is meddling from an owner. And after watching Ralph stand up there today at the podium, I don't know why ANYONE would be confident that he could make a serious decision on whether or not to draft player A or player B, regardless of how great an owner or man he has been in the past.

Likewise, I love Marv. But I have heard him speak numerous times in the last couple years. He seriously does not remind me of the sharp guy he was in 1992, which was 14 years ago for those without calculators. He was also mostly run out of town for making bad choices on coordinators in his last couple years.

Ralph came out and publicly said he's not going to let the Bills draft anyone in the first four rounds unless he sees them, and presumably puts his rubber stamp on it. That, to me, is meddling from an owner.

553592[/snapback]

RW didn't say that at all. He just said he wants to see film of the players they're considering so he'll be familiar with them before they're picked. In other words, to prevent a repeat of TD's "trust me" hype with little production to show for it.

Ralph came out and publicly said he's not going to let the Bills draft anyone in the first four rounds unless he sees them, and presumably puts his rubber stamp on it. That, to me, is meddling from an owner. And after watching Ralph stand up there today at the podium, I don't know why ANYONE would be confident that he could make a serious decision on whether or not to draft player A or player B, regardless of how great an owner or man he has been in the past.

Likewise, I love Marv. But I have heard him speak numerous times in the last couple years. He seriously does not remind me of the sharp guy he was in 1992, which was 14 years ago for those without calculators. He was also mostly run out of town for making bad choices on coordinators in his last couple years.

553592[/snapback]

But...But...I've heard of him! Get 'R Done...uh...Hmph. Tough one.

RW didn't say that at all.  He just said he wants to see film of the players they're considering so he'll be familiar with them before they're picked.  In other words, to prevent a repeat of TD's "trust me" hype with little production to show for it.

553611[/snapback]

thats awesome...he'll be the most informed insider poster on the stadium wall and then me

RW didn't say that at all.  He just said he wants to see film of the players they're considering so he'll be familiar with them before they're picked.  In other words, to prevent a repeat of TD's "trust me" hype with little production to show for it.

553611[/snapback]

Here is what he said. Tell me that you believe someone like Ralph is going to just say something like that, and then just sit back and watch. Just so he knows the player. I think that is pretty naive, frankly. He's going to listen for sure, but he is going to be the final arbitor. He is going to say yeah or nay, or if it's between two guys he's going to say I like player B, and that is going to be the decision. It could be there is a consensus. I am not saying he is just going to run the draft himself like Jerry Jones. But he is going to be the guy that makes the final decision, and I am not comfortable with that at all as a fan. The only thing I agree with is that he has the right to, I just don't think he should use it. I can't believe anyone would read these words and think Ralph just wanted to see these guys on film but let everyone else make the decisions.

Wilson said he believes he needs to take a more active role in the team, rather than sitting back and letting his top football man make the decisions without the owner's significant input.

"I'm going to be more active," Wilson said. "I've been around this game for a long time. And I'm not going to take somebody else's word that we're going to draft this guy because he's a heckuva player. If we're going to take somebody in the first three or four rounds, I want to see him on tape.