Gas Prices...

Not sure if youre sarcasm button is on, but................. the US Virgin Islands is a territory of the US and as such is subject to the same EPA and DOE regulations as the US mainland.  I think the reason for the refinery's location is the easy access to Venezuala (closest US land to Venezuala) as well as easy access to US ports on the eastern seaboard.

425218[/snapback]

Yes, My sarcasm button should have been on. But there are some regions where I had heard the envrionmental laws were delayed as the impact of emissions would not be that high. Wasn't the vigin islands one of those areas ?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not spend money on any of those things. ;) I guess I could cancel RoadRunner and the base package Dish, but that's just two tanks of gas. :D

You are right that we all spend a lot of money on sh-- we don't really need, then cry about the cost of essentials. Most can afford gas.

To me the biggest deception is that gas HAS to cost this much, and cars cannot get better mpg, without mortgaging the farm for a hybrid. We are being schtupped.

BTW: The place I usually buy my gas (cheapest close gas) went from $2.51 to $2.75 a gallon. Luckily both the wife and I live within two miles of our jobs. <_<

Many of you seem to be getting really hosed !

There are many things we spend money on that we can do without in order to afford gas. If money is so tight it is time for some to trade off that $30+ for a carton of butts, $20 a week for lottery tickets, $2 bottles of water, and $4 lattes for gas.  

Yes, there are people who can not afford any of the above and for that I am sad.   I do not know if I accept an "I can't afford gas" argument, however, at least from a group of people who are able to have the resources to post to TBD.

423924[/snapback]

Yes, My sarcasm button should have been on. But there are some regions where I had heard the envrionmental laws were delayed as the impact of emissions would not be that high. Wasn't the vigin islands one of those areas ?

425274[/snapback]

I don't know, I suppose that could be the case. This refinery was built here back the late 60' s and expanded significantly in the late 80's. I could see where a company could be given a break regarding emission standards in the USVI, not many people live here, the area is desparate for economic activity, and regarding emissions, the trade winds move constantly here, carrying away any immediate emissions. So who knows?

I filled up sunday night in prep for the storm at 2.61 a gallon. A few stations are at 2.75, but most are 2.95 here now for regular...

425280[/snapback]

Im not sure where your looking, but I saw 3.19 on a number of signs, and even worse, a few people changing their signs as people were driving in.

In Atlanta

True story, went to the mall last night around 6.30 in Richmond and the BP near my house had regular at 2.79. Leaving the mall around 8.30 saw I needed gas but the staion there was 3.19 for regular.Drive back to the BP and yep, up to 3.09. Up .30 in TWO hours

Yesterday before I left for work I had a half tank but figured that I'd top off at $2.69 at the Exxon close to my house. When I got home from work it was $2.99 and when I got back from my softball game it was $3.59!! I thought that the law in NC was that prices could only be changed once within 24 hours?

I am at the parents house today. They live about 12 miles from the Indian Reservation. Figured I'd drive down to see the price. Drove by a "Stop 'N Gas" on the way and it was $2.89 for regular. When I got to the damn res.? $3.03 CHEAPEST for regular. The reservation more expensive? So I pulled a U-turn, went back to Stop 'N Gas, filled up, and told the guy he was $.14 less than the res. He said by tomorrow morning, he won't be cheaper than the res. So, he knows he'll have at least a $.15 in the next 24hrs.

Yesterday before I left for work I had a half tank but figured that I'd top off at $2.69 at the Exxon close to my house.  When I got home from work it was $2.99 and when I got back from my softball game it was $3.59!!  I thought that the law in NC was that prices could only be changed once within 24 hours?

425380[/snapback]

Attorney General is now investigating price gauging

We had it go from 2.69 at the station nearby to over 3.00 overnight.

Thank GOD I sold my Bravada, I can't say that enough. I'd be paying $45 just to fill the tank, and prolly twice a week.

425423[/snapback]

how's that seatless bicycle working for ya? :D