Bills 2024 "Reclamation" Projects Who Will Be Busts Who Will Be Hits?

Which players whose careers have entered a downturn but are being given a second/third/fourth chance on their NFL careers on the 2024 Bills (what I would call reclamation projects) will work out and be productive and which will be busts? I think all good teams take on a few and get some production from bargain shopping so to speak. 

Here is my list. 

Hits:

1. Duwane Smoot - This was a player who was very good from 2019 to 2022 a consistent 5-6 sack a year player with the Jags whose advanced metrics were also mostly good (I know PFF is flawed but he had 68 and 70 grades in 2021 and 2022 to go along with good pass rush win rate stats). The reason he's a reclamation project is due to an Achilles injury in late 2022 (week 16). That led to Smoot coming back to the Jags on a 1 year deal in 2023 and starting the season on the PUP list. Smoot's 2023 was not very good with just 1 sack and poor advanced metrics. I think a year further removed from injury he has a good chance to take the Shaq Lawson rotational snaps and have a better season. 
  2. La'el Collin - Collins was a really good player at guard and RT for the Cowboys particularly from 2017-2021. He signed as a free agent with the Bengals in 2022 in an attempt to overhaul an offensive line that was terrible. Collins in 2022 had a nagging back injury that really held him back in 2022 and then he had a really bad ACL/MCL injury in late 2022. He didn't play much in 2023 only signing on late in season with the Cowboys as a member of the PS. Now going into 2024 he's going to be 1 year 9 months removed from the 2022 injury and I think he's going to be a key component to the teams bench on the offensive line and might start at LG outright if he outshines Edwards and SVPG needs a year to develop at center. 
  3. Austin Johnson - Not the most dramatic reclamation project but still someone coming off two down years in his career. I think he's going to occupy those Tim Settle/Jordan Phillips rotational snaps more effectively. Johnson was playing in a poor scheme fit in LA plus Johnson got hurt in 2022. I think he may have one more good season playing in a scheme more similar to his better years in Tennessee and with the Giants. 
  4. Von Miller - Bills had no choice but to bring Von back as he was willing to restructure his deal. I don't think he regains his 2022 form but I think he can have a nice season 8-10 sacks on a good pressure rate. Von just was not good in 2023 but as the season wore on especially after the bye he started to flash a little. Hoping another off-season to heal and maybe with a new incentive laden contract he kind of gives the team the production that Floyd gave them but more evenly spread out. 

Busts: 

1. Deion Jones - Jones is a low risk signing and I like it but I think he's just not that good anymore. He was on the decline in Atlanta his last year there a past two years has bounced around to two teams in the Browns and Panthers neither stint he was that great. Now on the Bills I think he's a late camp cut. 
  2. Chase Claypool - Another rather low risk signing but one I don't see working out. Claypool is just 25 and has tremendous talent. Claypool has even produced really well his first two years in the league with 800+ yards in back to back seasons. He was traded to Chicago and then to Miami a year later, neither stop he produced well despite being in a situation in Miami where he had a decent QB, good system and two stud WR's to take attention and give him single coverage. I know Claypool is on what is effectively his last chance so that might be motivation but if a player is a ***** head under achiever that rarely turns around. Rooting for him but I don't think this project is going to work out. 
  3. Tommy Doyle/Andy Isabella/KJ Hamler/Matt Haack - Not really players that are of much significance but guys the Bills are "kicking the tires on" who were former high draft picks (Isabella and Hamler) or have had past stints with the team (Haack and Doyle) none are more than camp body PS candidates to me. 

So who will be the player to turn things around on the Bills this season and who won't?

• Like (+1) 6

Posted (edited)

Hits:

1. Elam - I’m not giving up on this kid

Busts:

1. McGovern as a Center.  Was this talk deliberate to be a pre draft smokescreen or they serious about it?  Because if they are serious about it I don’t like it.  

This is the real position story of camp not WRs.  I’m confident in who the top 5 WRs will be the rest will sort itself out. 

This Oline was dominant last year in the run game and solid in pass pro.  Our OTs are maulers and Torrence is on the cusp of being a potential all pro.  

I want to be able to leave McGovern at Guard and replace Mitch with SVPG - and if he’s good then we have a top 5 oline.  If he isn’t, and McGovern struggles as a C then that’s bad news for the run game which we need badly and of course pass pro.  Josh is ridiculous when given time.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Hits:

Busts:

1. McGovern as a Center.  Was this talk deliberate to be a pre draft smokescreen or they serious about it?  Because if they are serious about it I don’t like it.  

This is the real position story of camp not WRs.  I’m confident in who the top 5 WRs will be the rest will sort itself out. 

This Oline was dominant last year in the run game and solid in pass pro.  Our OTs are maulers and Torrence is on the cusp of being a potential all pro.  

I want to be able to leave McGovern at Guard and replace Mitch with SVPG - and if he’s good then we have a top 5 oline.  If he isn’t, and McGovern struggles as a C then that’s bad news for the run game which we need badly and of course pass pro.  Josh is ridiculous when given time.  

I think Elam has shown flashes that he can be a good starting caliber corner. His rookie year was more like a "typical" rookie season very up and down but certainly showing he can hang if he polished up his game. 2023 he really regressed early looking outright bad. But once it came out that he had a pretty bad ankle injury and went on IR it made sense why he looked so bad. I think when he came back from IR he looked better. I think he is going to have that Spencer Brown bounce back season if he stays healthy. 

McGovern at center I think was always a "plan B" they were pretending was a "plan A" scenario. I hope SVPG is able to take the starting center role and move McGovern back to LG and Edwards on the bench and in jumbo packages. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Hits:

Busts:

I agree with this. I'm mentioned this all offseason-- if they thought Edwards was a better option at LG, he would have had that position last season. It's a clear downgrade. 

Also, don't sleep on Will Clapp. A week 15 knee injury ended his '23 season, but he had played every snap up until then, and Banged Up Bills is of the opinion that it doesn't present any injury concerns moving forward. We'll know soon enough in TC, but from last season's tape, I thought he looked good.

• Like (+1) 1

Fun thread, if for no other reason than I've got opinions.

Bear in mind, I'm not pounding the table for any of this...

Hits:

Chase Claypool. I think all of his issues are between the ears. McDermott, and Beane have worked hard to build a certain culture. Much of that culture is based on character, and work ethic. But, I think also that they like to bring in guys who have fun on the field. This season especially, whether intentional or not, seems to have made quite a few additions, as well as subtractions that should lift the team up from the downers that had become the last couple seasons. This Bills team could be the environment in which Claypool could thrive.

Will Clapp. If Banged Up Bills is right, and Clapp's knee injury that ended his '23 season is not a concern moving forward, he should provide at least a solid, and versatile depth. I have more faith in (a healthy) Will Clapp at Center, than I do David Edwards at LG. (Of course, hopefully Van Pran-Granger will start early a la O'Cyrus Torrence...)

Mack Hollins. This signing got raked over the coals on this site when it was announced, and I get it. He's slow, and has weirdly poor YAC. But, he has reliable hands, an exceptional catch radius, blocks very well, and-- most importantly-- fills the special teams role vacated by Siran Neal. This makes him a situational WR in RPOs, WR screens, and endzone targets, as well as being a core ST player. What's not to like?

Kaiir Elam. There's been a lot of speculation on what's been going on with this guy, and why he spent so much time inactive last season. Injury? Bad attitude? Poor practices? Can't adapt to zone? In the doghouse? It's all been said. But he did have flashes, he's on the team, and we're still woefully thin at the position. It's a long season, and at some point, someone's going down with injury for a game, or more. It happens every year. And he did show some potential for improvement towards the end of the season. We're all rooting for him.

Dark Horse Hit:

KJ Hamler. A dark horse candidate for a hit, to be sure... but: The Bills currently have six WRs on the roster who are 6'4", but not a lot of speed. His catch % is paltry, but he had crap QBs throwing him the ball in Denver. He lost all of 2023 dealing with pericarditis (a nasty heart condition caused by infection).  If he's resolved the health issues, and gotten his body, and speed back into shape, could he be the speed gadget guy? 

Busts:

Von Miller. I would love, love, love to be wrong, watch Von beat the odds, and have a great (or even adequate) season. But, I think we might see an injury settlement in Von's future...

Marquez Valdez-Scantling. I know this is a very unpopular opinion at the moment, and I keep hearing (from posters whose opinions I respect) that he's "playoff proven," "clutch player," and "fast for his size." But, I just can't get around the fact that he has the worst completion percentage of every Bills receiver on the roster who has played in a regular season game, and an egregious drop rate of 7%, with one of the top two quarterbacks in the league throwing him the ball. And just how many 6'4" WRs do we need?

• Like (+1) 1

No mention of Milano?

We are still not even sure what injury he had.  Was it just a broken leg?  How many bones? Knee cap dislocation? Torn ligaments? meniscus tear?  To my knowledge they have never released an official report of what was found/fixed at time of surgery.

He was playing at a ridiculously high level prior to injury.  However he has only played in 2 complete seasons out of 7.  He will only be 9 1/2 months out from injury when training camp starts.  Now Miller and White were hurt in late Nov and neither returned for camp or the start of the next season.  

McD has been cautious not to rush people back.  It will be interesting to see if Milano is ready to go by camp or the first week.  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No mention of Milano?

We are still not even sure what injury he had.  Was it just a broken leg?  How many bones? Knee cap dislocation? Torn ligaments? meniscus tear?  To my knowledge they have never released an official report of what was found/fixed at time of surgery.

He was playing at a ridiculously high level prior to injury.  However he has only played in 2 complete seasons out of 7.  He will only be 9 1/2 months out from injury when training camp starts.  Now Miller and White were hurt in late Nov and neither returned for camp or the start of the next season.  

McD has been cautious not to rush people back.  It will be interesting to see if Milano is ready to go by camp or the first week.  

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it was a torn ACL, and fractured tibia. It was reported just today that he is a month away from being cleared for practice. Considering the injury, I'll be surprised if he's on the field week one.

But, that being said, I don't think anyone would currently consider Milano as a "reclamation project."

• Like (+1) 1

Claypool is my choice for a hit.  

Obviously, looking at his first two years in the league, he has enough talent to be a successful NFL wideout.   His next two years were, however, huge disappointments.  

This may be faulty logic, but I don't think Beane would have signed him unless he thought there was a good chance that Claypool could turn things back around.  I'm betting on Beane being right.  

And just yesterday, McD had heaped some heavy praise on the young man:

"Very impressed with Chase, really just starting with his approach.  Here's a veteran receiver, former high pick that has been on a journey, right, through the course of his, recently, his career. I applaud Chase for coming here to see where things go. He's very focused...  You don't find that a lot around the NFL, where a player has been at a certain level and then is on a mission, right now, to reclaim what he once was in that regard...  Very impressed with his day-to-day approach, true pro, high character, smart player and been a good addition to the team."

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Which players whose careers have entered a downturn but are being given a second/third/fourth chance on their NFL careers on the 2024 Bills (what I would call reclamation projects) will work out and be productive and which will be busts? I think all good teams take on a few and get some production from bargain shopping so to speak. 

Here is my list. 

Hits:

1. Duwane Smoot - This was a player who was very good from 2019 to 2022 a consistent 5-6 sack a year player with the Jags whose advanced metrics were also mostly good (I know PFF is flawed but he had 68 and 70 grades in 2021 and 2022 to go along with good pass rush win rate stats). The reason he's a reclamation project is due to an Achilles injury in late 2022 (week 16). That led to Smoot coming back to the Jags on a 1 year deal in 2023 and starting the season on the PUP list. Smoot's 2023 was not very good with just 1 sack and poor advanced metrics. I think a year further removed from injury he has a good chance to take the Shaq Lawson rotational snaps and have a better season. 
  2. La'el Collin - Collins was a really good player at guard and RT for the Cowboys particularly from 2017-2021. He signed as a free agent with the Bengals in 2022 in an attempt to overhaul an offensive line that was terrible. Collins in 2022 had a nagging back injury that really held him back in 2022 and then he had a really bad ACL/MCL injury in late 2022. He didn't play much in 2023 only signing on late in season with the Cowboys as a member of the PS. Now going into 2024 he's going to be 1 year 9 months removed from the 2022 injury and I think he's going to be a key component to the teams bench on the offensive line and might start at LG outright if he outshines Edwards and SVPG needs a year to develop at center. 
  3. Austin Johnson - Not the most dramatic reclamation project but still someone coming off two down years in his career. I think he's going to occupy those Tim Settle/Jordan Phillips rotational snaps more effectively. Johnson was playing in a poor scheme fit in LA plus Johnson got hurt in 2022. I think he may have one more good season playing in a scheme more similar to his better years in Tennessee and with the Giants. 
  4. Von Miller - Bills had no choice but to bring Von back as he was willing to restructure his deal. I don't think he regains his 2022 form but I think he can have a nice season 8-10 sacks on a good pressure rate. Von just was not good in 2023 but as the season wore on especially after the bye he started to flash a little. Hoping another off-season to heal and maybe with a new incentive laden contract he kind of gives the team the production that Floyd gave them but more evenly spread out. 

Busts: 

1. Deion Jones - Jones is a low risk signing and I like it but I think he's just not that good anymore. He was on the decline in Atlanta his last year there a past two years has bounced around to two teams in the Browns and Panthers neither stint he was that great. Now on the Bills I think he's a late camp cut. 
  2. Chase Claypool - Another rather low risk signing but one I don't see working out. Claypool is just 25 and has tremendous talent. Claypool has even produced really well his first two years in the league with 800+ yards in back to back seasons. He was traded to Chicago and then to Miami a year later, neither stop he produced well despite being in a situation in Miami where he had a decent QB, good system and two stud WR's to take attention and give him single coverage. I know Claypool is on what is effectively his last chance so that might be motivation but if a player is a ***** head under achiever that rarely turns around. Rooting for him but I don't think this project is going to work out. 
  3. Tommy Doyle/Andy Isabella/KJ Hamler/Matt Haack - Not really players that are of much significance but guys the Bills are "kicking the tires on" who were former high draft picks (Isabella and Hamler) or have had past stints with the team (Haack and Doyle) none are more than camp body PS candidates to me. 

So who will be the player to turn things around on the Bills this season and who won't?

I don't really consider Smoot or Johnson reclamation projects.

38 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't really consider Smoot or Johnson reclamation projects.

Smoot had an Achilles injury he came back from last year. He didn't play that well, so it will be interesting to see if he can get back to form another year removed from the injury, or if he isn't as effective anymore post-injury.

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Here is my list. 

Hits:

Busts: 

First of all - great post - lots of good information.  Can I add Kingsley Jonathan to the list?  I think he can be an impactful player at DE with a pass rush capability. This is his 3rd year with the Bills.

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Here is my list. 

Hits:

Busts: 

Can I add Kingsley Jonathan to the list.  It's his 3rd year with the Bills and he has shown pass rush capability.

13 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

First of all - great post - lots of good information.  Can I add Kingsley Jonathan to the list?  I think he can be an impactful player at DE with a pass rush capability. This is his 3rd year with the Bills.

Thanks for the complement! I would not consider Kingsley Jonathan to the list as a reclamation project simply because he's more of a developmental player whose a younger player still trying to reach his peak. As opposed to a reclamation project which is a player whose had success but is coming off a downturn. Semantics but that's why he wasn't on the list. 

As for Kingsley Jonathan with the Addition of Smoot in free agency and Solomon in the draft Jonathan's road to making the 53 is going to be harder as while the team carried 6 DE's on the roster last season that's not a guarantee they carry 6 again. But if Jonathan shows out in camp he certainly has a good shot to make the rotation.  

as a recent 1st round Bills pick, Elam can't fulfill the OP requirement of "players whose careers have entered a downturn but are being given a second/third/fourth chance on their NFL careers on the 2024 Bills"......

Hit: MVS. I think we will be a very serviceable #3 guy for Josh.

Possible minor hit: Claypool. It's very, very, very early but him will to play ST is a great sign. I don't expect him to become a number 1 but maybe he can be a 3ish to 2ish guy if he continues with his McD-vetted new attitude. Did I make the disclaimer it's very early?

Possible hit: Elam. Lots of physical talent. The kid has flashed before in the past. Just not consistent and possibly not a great attitude. But he only just turned 23. Lot's of time for growth and maturity. 

Bust: Miller. Too old to come back from that kind of injury and the early returns last year weren't that great. Can he get 3 or 4 sacks? Sure. Can he be a regular difference maker. I don't expect it. Could be his last season.

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it was a torn ACL, and fractured tibia. It was reported just today that he is a month away from being cleared for practice. Considering the injury, I'll be surprised if he's on the field week one.

But, that being said, I don't think anyone would currently consider Milano as a "reclamation project."

He did not tear his ACL.  From the reports I saw he had a tibial plateau fracture.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hits:

Hamler:  gets past the injury bug and finally shows his talent on a consistent basis

Collins:  solid backup at T and G

Miller:  it usually takes until the second year after an ACL to get back to normal.  Look for Von to get more than 10 sacks

Misses:

Claypool:  sadly he refuses to get his head straight and gets cut fairly early.  Would love to be wrong

Smoot:  I think Jonathan is the 4th DE and Solomon will make the roster

Elam:  again would love to be wrong, but I just don’t see him ever grasping the zone concepts.  We trade him in the preseason.

21 hours ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

A redzone offense with Knox/Kincaid at TE, and Claypool and Coleman out wide is intriguing.  Claypool is a great run-blocker, which is something we don't have at WR right now.

hollis is a fantastic blocker 

15 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Where did you hear it was a torn ACL? That’s news to me.