Historical Fiction: How would drought coaches have fared with Josh Allen?

Chaos

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally disagree. McDermott makes the playoffs with at least 4 of the drought rosters IMO. There are at least 4 rosters that were better than the 2017 team. 

Now we might have been 0 for in the playoffs. That is fair. But he would have broken the drought way sooner. 

Pretty much every roster Rex Ryan coached could have gotten into the post season with any semblance of discipline.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally disagree. McDermott makes the playoffs with at least 4 of the drought rosters IMO. There are at least 4 rosters that were better than the 2017 team. 

Now we might have been 0 for in the playoffs. That is fair. But he would have broken the drought way sooner. 

I feel like you’re referring to the 90’s SNL Ditka skit but using McDermott instead 😂 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Dropping Allen into the drought.  So Brady is a thing.  But it is equally interesting to discuss giving each drought coaches six full seasons with Josh in the post Brady ere. 

would have definitely have made the playoffs in 2014

2015 as well

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

would have definitely have made the playoffs in 2014

The 2014 Bills would have been a Super Bowl team with Josh. I think every single player on that team is better than the 2024 version, except maybe some OL guys and LB’s.

On 5/20/2024 at 9:19 PM, McBean said:

The better question is, how much better would the drought QB’s have been if they had HC Sean McDermott?

Sean made Josh. Not the other way around. Know this.

lulz

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:19 PM, McBean said:

The better question is, how much better would the drought QB’s have been if they had HC Sean McDermott?

Sean made Josh. Not the other way around. Know this.

I am not sure if this is sarcasm, but if not, Sean deserves credit for not panicking when Josh was horrible his first 6 games and giving the freedom to work through his issues, but Josh gets the lions share of credit for who is is now. 

On 5/20/2024 at 7:11 AM, Chaos said:

In my opinion, there are two primary factors separating the drought era Bills teams from the Allen era Bills teams.  The first and foremost is having Josh Allen as QB.  The second factor which may be equally as important is having the financial resources to compete in free agency. 

Among the drought era coaches I think I liked Chan Gaily the best.  I credit him with being the inventor of the Fitzmagic. 

It would have been interesting if he and Allen had aligned in time. I am not sure if any of the other drought era coaches would have been anymore interesting than the Allen era coaching  staffs have been. 

How would others like to rewrite history?

I agree. Gailey's forte was offense. He could have done some neat things with Josh.

On 5/20/2024 at 8:34 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

I can't buy that.  I never saw Marrone as jealous of his players.  I saw him as a selfish guy who quickly realized EJ wasn't the answer & played Orton because he knew EJ was going to make him look bad & he wanted to look as good as possible, especially since he knew he could bail.  As soon as Orton retired Marrone had no intention of sticking around & going down with EJ as his QB.  If Marrone had Josh, he would have had a long career as Bills coach, and seeing him in practice every day would have never bailed.  

You can’t buy a fictitious take on a fictional scenario? Do you get out much?

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, Orlando Buffalo said:

I am not sure what y'all had as an opinion in 2018, but I was one of the minority who argued to give Josh a chance. I knew he was gonna suck early, he made bad choices his first half of the year hence why when he was hurt against Houston he was completing 52% of his passes for 137 yards a game and had 5 picks to 2 tds. Without good coaching and a large allowance to learn while sucking Josh is never given a chance. By the end of the year I knew he had grown substantially and argued on this site that he was gonna be a top 15 QB in 2019 and got obliterated, so pretending that many people thought he was good in 2018 is disingenuous, I even was called a racist for stating in 2019 I would rather have Josh than Lamar for the future. EJ looked like a top 15 QB early in his rookie year and regressed, which I put on the coach telling him not to lose the games instead of learn the game. You, and several others, also seem to think the 2013 defense was good. The Bills won every single game that the team gave up less than 23 points. 

I'm not talking for anyone else but myself.  I thought Josh was good in 2018 playing with horrible teammates on offense.  I thought Josh was the long-term answer in 2018 because he was elevating the team to victories that most other QBs, especially the QBs of the drought years, couldn't do.  

I'm never going to be a fan of QB stats.  I believe I can evaluate a QB a lot better watching him play than looking at a bunch of stats.  

I'll repeat what I've said through the years:  There's a reason the pros look at film every week.  Play on the field tells the story, not the stat sheet.  If stats were so great, players & coaches would never spend as much time as they do looking at film.  Instead at team meetings the coaches would hand out stat sheets & say "Go get 'em, boys!"

I really liked Gailey, and the offense would’ve been great with Allen. But Gailey’s problem was that he didn’t give a crap about defense and fielded some of the worst defenses in Bills history. No way they make the playoffs with those defenses.

Marrone fielded some great defenses, but he and Hackett would’ve ruined Allen before he got off the ground. He would’ve been a first round bust, IMO.

I think the best would’ve probably been Ryan. If he could go 8-8 with Taylor, imagine what he could do with Allen.

On 5/20/2024 at 9:21 AM, Gregg said:

Rex went to the AFCCG twice with Mark Sanchez as his QB. I wonder what he could have done with Josh.

I was thinking the same. Unfortunately, he would probably make his Brother  Offensive Co-ordinator!

5 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I am not sure if this is sarcasm, but if not, Sean deserves credit for not panicking when Josh was horrible his first 6 games and giving the freedom to work through his issues, but Josh gets the lions share of credit for who is is now. 

It’s total sarcasm.