Jim Otto, legendary Center for the Raiders dies at 86 #00

The epitome of the Center position and a HOFer. His trademark 2 bar face mask with the bull ring over his nose and his ‘double ott’ number couldn’t be missed or mistaken.

RIP Jim. Thank you for the memories!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The epitome of the Center position and a HOFer. His trademark 2 bar face mask with the bull ring over his nose and his ‘double ott’ number couldn’t be missed or mistaken.

RIP Jim. Thank you for the memories!

RIP good sir

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when I was a kid and I got his football card.  I was reading the names of the players I got to my dad.  Each card had the player's number and then his name.

When I read Otto's card to my dad, I read it as "Oo Jim Otto".  I thought, "What a weird first name!"

As a high school soccer goalie years later, I chose the number "00", maybe to make it up to Otto?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Greatest center who ever lived. 

Might've set the all time world record for most broken noses, too.

Nothing could be cooler than A guy named Otto wearing 00.

RIP to the legend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

from the daze of my misspent youth...Sundays...1970s football...men like Otto layed the foundation for this game...

1 PM games:  watching Joe Namath play in crappy Shea Stdium which looked like a high school field; bad Bills teams with OJ loose over and over....or you could watch the NFC games which in Buffalo featured the Wash Redskins and NYG  games before Dallas became "Americas Team"

4 PM:  teams like like the Chiefs, Chargers with that passing game, the thug Raiders playing close games over and over with George Blanda kicking game-winning field goals while playing QB at age 40+...games called by grizzled vets like Curt Gowdy and Charlie Jones and the smooth Dick Enbeg (remember Sport Challenge ?) and color analysts no one ever heard of before...

Then on to the Wonderful World of Disney amd Mutual of Omaha's Wlld Kingdo...then Sunday nite Sabre home games with Gil and the French Connection...over and over...year after year...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

from the daze of my misspent youth...Sundays...1970s football...men like Otto layed the foundation for this game...

1 PM games:  watching Joe Namath play in crappy Shea Stdium which looked like a high school field; bad Bills teams with OJ loose over and over....or you could watch the NFC games which in Buffalo featured the Wash Redskins and NYG  games before Dallas became "Americas Team"

4 PM:  teams like like the Chiefs, Chargers with that passing game, the thug Raiders playing close games over and over with George Blanda kicking game-winning field goals while playing QB at age 40+...games called by grizzled vets like Curt Gowdy and Charlie Jones and the smooth Dick Enbeg (remember Sport Challenge ?) and color analysts no one ever heard of before...

Then on to the Wonderful World of Disney amd Mutual of Omaha's Wlld Kingdo...then Sunday nite Sabre home games with Gil and the French Connection...over and over...year after year...

Peter Puck!

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Peter Puck!

one way to get my non-sportsfan sister to allow me to watch hockey on the family Maganvox parlor TV was to tell her that Peter Puck was going to be on during the intermission...it was between periods 1-2 and she would think it was every intermission...it worked for awhile

59 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Two of my favorite players from this era were centers. 

Mr. Otto and Mick Tingelhoff. 

Their respective teams were prominent and televised and vividly remember their trading cards.

Good old days. 

RIP 

the Vikes were great in the 70s...under coach Bud Grant..outdoor  Metropolitan Stadium in the cold was its own version of frozen tundra..the pre-Tarkenton days of Joe Kapp (another CFL icon like Grant) throwing to Gene Washington handing to Dave Osborne and Bill Brown as RBs behind Tingelhoff and Ron Yary..and the D-line..purple people eaters...was the best in the biz - Page-Eller-Marshall-Larsen-Sutherland..with Dennis Winston at LB and Paul Krause (iNFL all-time nterceptions leader) 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VincTr00.htm - looking for a Bill..scroll down to 51 - Troy Vincent..his last 2 washed-up years with the Bills had 5 picks...sigh...