Bills visit with Olympic Gold Medalist Gable Steveson

https://www.si.com/college/minnesota/gophers-football/gophers-wrestling-superstar-gable-steveson-visits-buffalo-bills-01hy0r3jdqrt

Gable Steveson is an Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler (2021 Tokyo), three-time Big Ten heavyweight champion and two-time NCAA heavyweight national champion. 

Following the Olympics, he had overtures from UFC, the NFL (we actually looked into him then too), and the WWE. He ended up signing with the WWE and had a couple moments there before surprisingly being released a month ago.

As far as athletes from other sports go, he'd definitely be the most decorated of all the guys we tried and the most athletic. Would be a cool Training Camp player.

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Which position are they considering for him? LB? Doesn’t look big enough to play DL.

EDIT: 6’1” 265lbs, I guess he could try DE. We know he can scrap in the trenches, we don’t know if he’s fast enough and has the bend to get around the corner. He’d certainly be undersized on the edge and would lack the pass rushing skills of another undersized rookie Javon Solomon. 

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane getting silly now. Marketing stunt at this point. A British rugby player who has never played football before, a lacrosse player and now a wrester…. Get serous Beane! 

• Eyeroll 6

2 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I feel like McD might have had conversations with Kurt Angle that we just don't know about. 

Does the Scott Steiner Math check out when adding Kurt Angle to the mix?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Which position are they considering for him? LB? Doesn’t look big enough to play DL.

I mean he's an Olympic Gold Medal winning wrestler at the heaviest weight class, I'd Imagine that's OL though he is 6'1"

Edited by Warcodered

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Does the Scott Steiner Math check out when adding Kurt Angle to the mix?

Greatest promo ever.

Steveson is the modern day Kurt Angle. Just didn't have the charisma to make the transition into WWE like Kurt did. 

Hadn't even thought of the McDermott angle. Dude loves his Wrestlers and Stevenson has been the KING of American Amateur Wrestling. McDermott's probably a big Steveson simp.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean he's an Olympic Gold Medal winning wrestler at the heaviest weight class, I'd Imagine that's OL though he is 6'1"

No chance for him on the offensive line.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We just brought him in so McDermott could take pictures with him and get his autograph. That photo is to Sean what Orchids or Asia is to Bob Kraft.

Brilliant 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wppete said:

Beane getting silly now. Marketing stunt at this point. A British rugby player who has never played football before, a lacrosse player and now a wrester…. Get serous Beane! 

The Eagles were able to turn one of these type of guys into a high end Left Tackle for them.

Personally, I think it's progressive and smart to look at pure athletes from other sports transitioning to Football. There's no risk and you never know what you'll find. Smart teams leave no stone unturned. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Brand J said:

EDIT: 6’1” 265lbs, I guess he could try DE. We know he can scrap in the trenches, we don’t know if he’s fast enough and has the bend to get around the corner. He’d certainly be undersized on the edge and would lack the pass rushing skills of another undersized rookie Javon Solomon. 

Enforcer

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

McDermott: You know Gable, I wrestled in High School and College. 

Steveson: Oh yeah? That's cool. I was a 2-Time Heavyweight Champion of the entire NCAA and transferred that into a Gold Medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. How'd you do?

McDermott: I, uh..... I like Wrestling.

Steveson: Yeah, I hear you like your Football players with a Wrestling background and try them out on the mat. Want to roll around a bit?

McDermott: You know... I would. But my back is really acting up today.

Steveson: Some other time then?

McDermott: Yeah...

• Haha (+1) 2