WR trade candidates, who do you want?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It seems reasonable to suspect Beane acquired those picks specifically looking to make a deal like this 

Sure, but it also seemed reasonable to suspect that Beane was going to use his bevy of 2024 draft picks to move up the board a few times, and it didn't happen.

In fact, I'd say most would've agreed that it seemed MORE likely that Beane would use those extra picks to trade up than it was that he'd stand pat and use all the picks, but stand pat he did.

It's possible Beane just acquired the 2025 picks because he sees that the team needs to get younger and cheaper, and draft picks are the best way to do that. It's possible that it's just that simple, and that the thought "I'll use these as trade ammunition!" is not part of his thinking.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Waiting until the trade deadline certainly makes sense. Perhaps the plan is to see if Claypool or Hamler can turn their careers around and negate the need for a trade. Of course that's an unlikely outcome but the plan makes sense if we absolutely have to wait until further into the season to be able to afford a new WR.

I just find it really unlikely Plan A is Mack Hollins as the #2 outside WR, or Coleman as the presumed #1 for that matter, for the entire season. Hollins was seen as a Trent Sherfield caliber signing. Coleman is a rookie and the team historically never goes into a season with the rookie penciled in as the surefire starter. The lack of investment at the position makes me more confident an investment is coming, if not right away then at some point in the season.

I'd imagine the plan is Coleman at the X, Samuel/Shorter in the Y and Shakir/Samuel in the slot. We could also move Cook out wide to the X or Y if want to move Samuel/Johnson/Davis in the backfield to give defenses another look.  If Claypool does make the team he could be another option on the outside. 

Edited by The Jokeman

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd imagine the plan is Coleman at the X, Samuel/Shorter in the Y and Shakir/Samuel in the slot. We could also move Cook out wide to the X or Y if want to move Samuel/Johnson/Davis in the backfield to give defenses another look.  If Claypool does make the team he could be another option on the outside. 

that's still a likely downgrade from last season. But, we'll see

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

that's still a likely downgrade from last season. But, we'll see

It depends, if Shakir improves, if Samuel shows to be more than Davis did (who missed tons of time during our late run) and Coleman can help move the chains ala Kincaid did as a rookie it's not a major downgrade. As  yes we don't have an alpha in Diggs but as a whole the WR group is much better in terms of depth IMO. As to me Josh is at his best when has to be disciplined and make short methodical gains and drive us down the field. As when he's doing and in the zone the offense is almost unstoppable. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Waiting until the trade deadline certainly makes sense. Perhaps the plan is to see if Claypool or Hamler can turn their careers around and negate the need for a trade. Of course that's an unlikely outcome but the plan makes sense if we absolutely have to wait until further into the season to be able to afford a new WR. Might as well take a flyer while still knowing in the back of our mind that the season doesn't hinge on one of those flyers working out.

I just find it really unlikely Plan A is Mack Hollins as the #2 outside WR, or Coleman as the presumed #1 for that matter, for the entire season. Hollins was seen as a Trent Sherfield caliber signing. Coleman is a rookie and the team historically never goes into a season with the rookie penciled in as the surefire starter. The lack of investment at the position makes me more confident an investment is coming, if not right away then at some point in the season.

IMO waiting until the trade deadline is a bad idea.  People's claim that we have to wait doesn't hold up.  It is more of repeating an often said statement that is not based in fact.

Saying that it is unlikely that Mack Hollins is a #2 outside WR is a very understated way to put it IMO.  It puts Beane in a whole new uncharted level of boneheadness.  I think Beane is an intelligent, excellent GM - so I can't imagine this is the plan.

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd offer our 2025 1st + 4th.   We'd still have two 2nd's

If they counter asking for more, I'd be OK with giving a 1st & 2nd

Worth it IMO 

Adams is 30 or 31.  DK is 26. 

True, I like the idea of DK over D Adams, but it is close enough IMO to have to consider what is given up.  If you are saying give up a 1 +2 for DK, vs giving up a 2nd for D Adams, I think I'd go for Adams.

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'd be disappointed with C Sutton as the addition.  He doesn't meet the 2024 Diggs level expectation for me.

I can certainly understand you saying that, but in reality Diggs didn’t meet expectations last season or really in the post season the last couple years either, 1000 yard seasons with paltry post season production isn’t the combination that we are in need of, do I have the answers? No I do not, but there is only a very limited chance we bring in a “ true #1WR”  this year, jmo of course. 

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I can certainly understand you saying that, but in reality Diggs didn’t meet expectations last season or really in the post season the last couple years either, 1000 yard seasons with paltry post season production isn’t the combination that we are in need of, do I have the answers? No I do not, but there is only a very limited chance we bring in a “ true #1WR”  this year, jmo of course. 

True Diggs didn't meet expectations but it doesn't mean you go in without them.   For most people our current WR expectations are pretty low.  I'm hoping we can trade for someone we can have realistically high expected numbers.

It seems the majority of people do not expect we bring in a top WR, I am not one of those, and my standards are higher than C Sutton.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

True Diggs didn't meet expectations but it doesn't mean you go in without them.   For most people our current WR expectations are pretty low.  I'm hoping we can trade for someone we can have realistically high expected numbers.

It seems the majority of people do not expect we bring in a top WR, I am not one of those, and my standards are higher than C Sutton.

C Sutton, would not be my choice if I was a decision maker…, GMs will do what they do, regardless of what they may have said previously, goes with the territory, 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A good number of our fans (including myself) are expecting a post June 1st trade for a WR.  This WR should be of at least the quality of the expected 2024 Diggs.  Listed below are who I feel are the top contenders:

1.  DK Metcalf - rumored to be on the market, salary $13M, age 27.  Big, fast, would be great addition.

2.  B Aiyuk - previously rumored to be on the market and would make sense because SF has a lot of high priced WRs and drafted one in Round 1.  Salary $14M, age 26.  Downside is looking for big payday.

3.  D Hopkins - Tenn has glut of WRs.  Salary around $13M (maybe less based on how the $8M salary + $4M roster bonus is distributed).  age 32.

4.  D Adams - Raiders are going to stink and have no QB,  Adams contract is such that this looks like his last year w $44M next year.  Salary $17M, age 32.

Dark Horse candidates

5.  DJ Moore - former Carolina pick, salary $16M, age 27

6.  C Kupp - salary $15M, age 31

7.  C Godwin - salary $20M, age 28

The combination of draft capital and salary needed to be given for each listed WR makes is hard to figure out which way to go.  Lets hope Beane makes one happen.

Huh?  Who is expecting this?  I mean literally 0% chance anyone on this list gets traded to the Bills.  Bills are not going to trade for a WR, the room is now set for camp.  

When are people going to just stop and listen to Beane?  If you had, you would have known there was no way he was trading up big in the first round, he was not trading for a big name WR, and he isn't doing so after June 1st either.  

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Of course they will.  The Bills do not have a WR1 on the roster for 2024, or for that matter for 2025. 

The Bills have draft capital - extra 2nd and 4th, money coming in - Tre $10M, and kept the spot open - didn't draft 2 and didn't hit FA hard.

All signs point to picking up a good WR.

You guys need to let go of this WR fantasy.  Coleman is the WR1 on this roster.  Get used to it.  

There are actually no signs suggesting a trade, however...Beane has FLAT OUT said he will not be making any trades for a WR.  Just like he said he wasn't trying to trade up in the draft prior to the draft and you guys still thought we were gonna do that. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A good number of our fans (including myself) are expecting a post June 1st trade for a WR.  This WR should be of at least the quality of the expected 2024 Diggs.  Listed below are who I feel are the top contenders:

1.  DK Metcalf - rumored to be on the market, salary $13M, age 27.  Big, fast, would be great addition.

2.  B Aiyuk - previously rumored to be on the market and would make sense because SF has a lot of high priced WRs and drafted one in Round 1.  Salary $14M, age 26.  Downside is looking for big payday.

3.  D Hopkins - Tenn has glut of WRs.  Salary around $13M (maybe less based on how the $8M salary + $4M roster bonus is distributed).  age 32.

4.  D Adams - Raiders are going to stink and have no QB,  Adams contract is such that this looks like his last year w $44M next year.  Salary $17M, age 32.

Dark Horse candidates

5.  DJ Moore - former Carolina pick, salary $16M, age 27

6.  C Kupp - salary $15M, age 31

7.  C Godwin - salary $20M, age 28

The combination of draft capital and salary needed to be given for each listed WR makes is hard to figure out which way to go.  Lets hope Beane makes one happen.

None

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  Who is expecting this?  I mean literally 0% chance anyone on this list gets traded to the Bills.  Bills are not going to trade for a WR, the room is now set for camp.  

When are people going to just stop and listen to Beane?  If you had, you would have known there was no way he was trading up big in the first round, he was not trading for a big name WR, and he isn't doing so after June 1st either.  

You guys need to let go of this WR fantasy.  Coleman is the WR1 on this roster.  Get used to it.  

There are actually no signs suggesting a trade, however...Beane has FLAT OUT said he will not be making any trades for a WR.  Just like he said he wasn't trying to trade up in the draft prior to the draft and you guys still thought we were gonna do that. 

How can you claim there are no signs?  Isn't hoarding 2025 draft picks a sign?  Isn't not getting a top end FA WR a sign?  Isn't only drafting 1 WR a sign?  Wasn't not taking the full amount of Josh's restructure a sign?  What, do you need a written invitation?  Is the only sign, in your mind, Beane saying "We are actively trying to trade for a WR".

I haven't listened that intently to Beane.  Just as well really, because if listening to Beane makes me say ridiculous things like "literally 0% chance anyone on that list is traded to the Bills" I think a may be the better for it.  That is some type of hypnotic mind meld Beane has over a lot of people here.  But congrats to you for taking it to the "literally 0% chance"  level.

Coleman is not a top WR.  He wasn't meant to be, not this  year anyway.  He is meant to replace G Davis and I think he can do a great job at that.

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

How can you claim there are no signs?  Isn't hoarding 2025 draft picks a sign?  Isn't not getting a top end FA WR a sign?  Isn't only drafting 1 WR a sign?  Wasn't not taking the full amount of Josh's restructure a sign?  What, do you need a written invitation?  Is the only sign, in your mind, Beane saying "We are actively trying to trade for a WR".

I haven't listened that intently to Beane.  Just as well really, because if listening to Beane makes me say ridiculous things like "literally 0% chance anyone on that list is traded to the Bills" I think a may be the better for it.  That is some type of hypnotic mind meld Beane has over a lot of people here.  But congrats to you for taking it to the "literally 0% chance"  level.

Coleman is not a top WR.  He wasn't meant to be, not this  year anyway.  He is meant to replace G Davis and I think he can do a great job at that.

I know plenty of regional scouts who had a pro bowl grade on Coleman 

A lot of people in football think we got the steal of the draft in the top of the second round

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

A lot of people in football think we got the steal of the draft in the top of the second round

Those people are not haters though. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Rome Odunze was the ninth player selected and is Chicago's third WR.  Rookies generally do not slot in as the top WR for a team, and certainly not ones taken in the second round.  I do like Coleman to win the second WR job as the replacement for G Davis though.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm good.  Roll with Kincaid, Samuels, Coleman, Shakir & Knox. Hope Claypool makes the team and contributes without drama. Maybe one of the lower tier wrs helps beyond the garbage we got from Sherfield/Harty.  Then draft another 1st or 2nd round wr next Apr. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Sure, but it also seemed reasonable to suspect that Beane was going to use his bevy of 2024 draft picks to move up the board a few times, and it didn't happen.

In fact, I'd say most would've agreed that it seemed MORE likely that Beane would use those extra picks to trade up than it was that he'd stand pat and use all the picks, but stand pat he did.

It's possible Beane just acquired the 2025 picks because he sees that the team needs to get younger and cheaper, and draft picks are the best way to do that. It's possible that it's just that simple, and that the thought "I'll use these as trade ammunition!" is not part of his thinking.

It drove me crazy that he probably could have easily had another 2nd and 3rd....and doubled down on WR and DT.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Rome Odunze was the ninth player selected and is Chicago's third WR.  Rookies generally do not slot in as the top WR for a team, and certainly not ones taken in the second round.  I do like Coleman to win the second WR job as the replacement for G Davis though.

Chicago might have the best wide receiver core in the NFL now... That is a terrible comparison 

Puka nacua went in the fifth round last year and instantly became his team's top Target 

It has more to do with quarterback play around you and the amount of Target you get

Coleman is going to get more targets than Rome.. he's going to be our most targeted wide receiver guaranteed 

He could be Vincent Jackson or plaxico burress

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Chicago might have the best wide receiver core in the NFL now... That is a terrible comparison 

Puka nacua went in the fifth round last year and instantly became his team's top Target 

It has more to do with quarterback play around you and the amount of Target you get

Coleman is going to get more targets than Rome.. he's going to be our most targeted wide receiver guaranteed 

He could be Vincent Jackson or plaxico burress

Vincent Jackson finished his rookie year with 3 catches and 59 yards.

Plax had 22 catches for 273 yards. 

Let’s hope he’s not.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Vincent Jackson finished his rookie year with 3 catches and 59 yards.

Plax had 22 catches for 273 yards. 

Let’s hope he’s not.

I didn't compare him statistically to their rookie year 

I'm comparing him to the type of player he Could be

None of those guys got a lion share of targets their rookie year... Or had Josh Allen throwing them ball 

Keon Coleman gets 120 targets... He's going to ball 

Vincent Jackson and plaxico  were machines... Like studs

Edited by Buffalo716