Micah Hyde and safety depth discussion

On 5/5/2024 at 12:25 PM, TheWeatherMan said:

Dude is injury prone and looked completely washed last year.  If you want to challenge Mahomes, sign a veteran CB for depth and sign/start Simmons opposite Bishop.  

l agree

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Mike Edwards

Cole Bishop

Taylor Rapp

Cam Lewis

If we can somehow find the cap space for Simmons & a WR trade, then I'd explore that.

Otherwise Hyde as a possible rotational player would be fine 

Here are PFF's 2023 grades (Yes, I know it's not the end all and be all, but at least it's an indication of where a player is at)

Hyde 64.4

Poyer 73

Edwards 56.5

Rapp 56.4

Simmons 67.9

Jackson 58.6

Both Edwards and Rapp came in as starters to replace injured players on their teams last season and did fairly well.  However, If I were Beane, the safety group is our worst position group and really could use another good player.  I love the idea of using the June 1 savings on someone like Simmons.  Having Simmons, with Rapp, Edwards and Bishop would create a huge competition for a starting job between the 4 and may the best players win.  If Rapp and Edwards win the jobs, great! I'd feel much better knowing they earned their PT instead of having starting jobs handed to them.

On 5/5/2024 at 11:47 AM, Yantha said:

Hello!

Apologies if this has been discussed (I didn't see it over a few pages).

I'm looking at Hyde sitting there waiting while is market value decreases....  Right now we are arguably projected to start Rapp/Bishop at safety.  If Hyde can come back on a 1 year contract for a playoff push and at an affordable price, is this something YOU would endorse?  And are there any rumors out there with Hyde that I'm unaware of?

I love the Bishop pick, but he's still a rookie.  I'd rather have Hyde in there while Bishop develops in sub packages (Nickel/Dime, scenarios/matchups) if affordable.  

Thoughts?

Having a fresh Micah Hyde come playoffs would be an awesome insurance policy. I remember when the Rams picked up Eric Weddle and it worked out great for them. I’m all for it.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

He can sign late in the year for the Super Bowl run. Don’t need him during the regular season and he doesn’t need to play. Rest up…we’ll see you in January. 

I think if Hyde is coming back it’s going to be in season similar to when this team added Joseph in October. I think Hyde at his age and with the major injury he had in 2022 if he wants to comeback he’s not going to want to do the rigors of training camp and a full 17 game season. 

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think if Hyde is coming back it’s going to be in season similar to when this team added Joseph in October. I think Hyde at his age and with the major injury he had in 2022 if he wants to comeback he’s not going to want to do the rigors of training camp and a full 17 game season. 

Given his injury history, why would he even need to come back in October? Why not later? If he wants one more shot at a championship, he doesn’t need to be here for the regular season…nor does he need that extended risk. 

1 hour ago, WickedGame said:

Given his injury history, why would he even need to come back in October? Why not later? If he wants one more shot at a championship, he doesn’t need to be here for the regular season…nor does he need that extended risk. 

He has probably got to shake off the rust and probably wants to help the team close out the regular season if I had to imagine.

I'm wondering about this myself based on his press conference.

Is it a good idea to bring him back if the price is right? It sounds like he's open to returning. 

There seems to be two key contingencies to consider (other than the contract)

Is he open to the role of player / coach / mentor for the young guys.?

Can we afford a roster spot for that type of player?

It's hard to think Hyde still isn't better than the otherwise worst guy to make the final 53.

And it would seem his leadership, enthusiasm, and understanding of McD's system would be a huge asset to the safety room.  

I hope we see him play in a Bills uni again.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's hard to think Hyde still isn't better than the otherwise worst guy to make the final 53.

And it would seem his leadership, enthusiasm, and understanding of McD's system would be a huge asset to the safety room.  

I hope we see him play in a Bills uni again.  

The worst safety on the 53 is a backup, if that's what Hyde's role is, wouldn't be surprising especially at this point in the decision process if it was, he's got to decide if he really wants to put himself through all the hell of training camp and a season to be a backup safety.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

The worst safety on the 53 is a backup, if that's what Hyde's role is, wouldn't be surprising especially at this point in the decision process if it was, he's got to decide if he really wants to put himself through all the hell of training camp and a season to be a backup safety.

Who knows. He may just be one of those week 2 signings.

• Like (+1) 1

Probably isn't going to dorm at St John Fisher for a couple weeks, no matter if he's leaning towards one more run or not. He seems SUPER open to running it back in 2024, but this current uncertainty is all an understandable part of NOT attending training camp. Hyde isn't going to half-arse anything, so best he doesn't sign up before they get back to Orchard Park and into the regular season practice groove.

There is obviously a cool little league-wide list of end-of-career, celebrated UFAs (often D-linemen or WRs) who haven't signed until the end of summer, or even later, into the season. 

On 5/11/2024 at 5:54 AM, WickedGame said:

He needs to walk away from the game.  He should not risk his life for a championship.  Neck injuries need to be taken seriously.  He still has 50+ years in front of him. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, ganesh said:

He needs to walk away from the game.  He should not risk his life for a championship.  Neck injuries need to be taken seriously.  He still has 50+ years in front of him. 

You're pry right given he's made enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life.  I, however, would volunteer to risk my life for the vet minimum.