Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

10 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I just looked at my history and my only comment on Sheffield was referencing what my student told me, which is he works best against a zone. In regards to Harty I only mentioned him a few times about individual plays, so would you like to tell me what you are referring to? 

Yeah I was referencing people with irrational expectations in general.........like you with this group of injury washouts, has-been's, never-been's and the rookie 8th selected WR behind Samuel and Shakir.    Where do you think the Bills WR corps ranks compared to the rest of the league?    Is bottom-third good enough for you in the middle of Josh Allen's prime?   It shouldn't be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I could see Claypool slotted in behind DK Metcalf on the depth chart.  Similar builds and talent practicing for a similar role on the team.  Seeing someone like Metcalf might help Claypool somewhat turn it around.

There are so many issues with Claypool from his attitude so sloppy game and low football IQ........it's hard to know where to begin.  Anyone trusting in him is just being foolish.  There is no indication that he's truly changed his entitled mindset and that he won't just quit when adversity arrives like he did the last two seasons.   He really needs to start from the bottom and work his way back up as a WR6.   In this WR corps,  it's not like that.  He might not have to do much to get up to WR4 even.   If he really wants a long NFL career(which I doubt) then this just seems like an opportunity for him to make more excuses for himself.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I was referencing people with irrational expectations in general.........like you with this group of injury washouts, has-been's, never-been's and the rookie 8th selected WR behind Samuel and Shakir.    Where do you think the Bills WR corps ranks compared to the rest of the league?    Is bottom-third good enough for you in the middle of Josh Allen's prime?   It shouldn't be.

And this is on a team with one of the cheapest investments in the league in the RB room.  Good value there, IMO, but incredibly cheap nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are so many issues with Claypool from his attitude so sloppy game and low football IQ........it's hard to know where to begin.  Anyone trusting in him is just being foolish.  There is no indication that he's truly changed his entitled mindset and that he won't just quit when adversity arrives like he did the last two seasons.   He really needs to start from the bottom and work his way back up as a WR6.   In this WR corps,  it's not like that.  He might not have to do much to get up to WR4 even.   If he really wants a long NFL career(which I doubt) then this just seems like an opportunity for him to make more excuses for himself.

Yes, this move is extremely dangerous in bringing in his potentially cancerous attitude. 

They just got rid of the cancer cell Diggs, infused the team with highly motivated people K Coleman, C Sameul.  And now you're going to let the likes of Claypool potentially invest this room when he whines about the unfair conditions that are keeping him on the bench?  Way too risky for my blood, I hope they jettison him after the WR pickup in early June.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How am I irrational? My expectation is that Josh will be spreading the ball around more and not worried about Diggs and his feelings. Each receiver on the roster has had good seasons with lesser QBs. GB last year had no good receivers either yet a lesser talent than Josh helped make them dangerous. Finally your actual comment was disingenuous but it had to be in order to make it seem like I am the one with the issue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Billl said:

He had a WR exactly like Claypool.  His name was Kelvin Benjamin.

If Kelvin Benjamin had a bit of work ethic he could have had a career.  So far the trajectory is weirdly similar though.  I think effort was the down fall of Benjamin.  Time will tell if Claypool has a similar fate.  

Posted (edited)

There's no real pressure either way with Claypool, and I think that's the best thing about the signing. The Bills have made practically zero investment, so they can wash their hands of him if they don't like him or his attitude in camp.  It's the definition of a low-risk high-reward, and it's exactly who you want in a training camp. 

I think it's funny some of the people I hear against the Claypool signing are also Justin Shorter truthers. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

There's no real pressure either way with Claypool, and I think that's the best thing about the signing. The Bills have made practically zero investment, so they can wash their hands of him if they don't like him or his attitude in camp.  It's the definition of a low-risk high-reward, and it's exactly who you want in a training camp. 

I think it's funny some of the people I hear against Claypool signing are also Justin Shorter truthers. 

Great, found a deal on a carcinogen.  Maybe next we can find some cheap asbestos.

He's not going to show a poor attitude in camp, how stupid do you think he is?  It's once the injustice of Coleman getting more game time than Claypool starts to materialize, then the locker room cancer starts to form.  Various forms of this cancer have followed Claypool through his travels.

We just had major surgery to clear the Diggs virus so forgive some of us for being a little jumpy when they introduce a toxin into the locker room 

• Eyeroll 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Great, found a deal on a carcinogen.  Maybe next we can find some cheap asbestos.

He's not going to show a poor attitude in camp, how stupid do you think he is?  It's once the injustice of Coleman getting more game time than Claypool starts to materialize, then the locker room cancer starts to form.  Various forms of this cancer have followed Claypool through his travels.

We just had major surgery to clear the Diggs virus so forgive some of us for being a little jumpy when they introduce a toxin into the locker room 

He was worth the risk because he either carries himself how he should, or he'd be cut as quickly as Quintez Cephus was. He can't afford to have an ego or be a problem. He's on an incredibly short leash and has to earn a roster spot and prove he's changed.

Even if he makes it, I see it being a tight race. So if this is a mask he's wearing now and he let's it slip in season, we're going to have guys like KJ Hamler, Andy Isabella, and/or Justin Shorter in the Practice Squad that will replace him just as quickly.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

35 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Going on your own analogy, this will be a minor surgery if we need to cut him, if he makes the team. I do not see any version of the season where he is so good that we have to keep him but where he is unhappy with his role. On this team it is known Josh is the leader, just like Big Ben was when Claypool behaved. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He was worth the risk because he either carries himself how he should, or he'd be cut as quickly as Quintez Cephus was. He can't afford to have an ego or be a problem. He's on an incredibly short leash and has to earn a roster spot and prove he's changed.

Even if he makes it, I see it being a tight race. So if this is a mask he's wearing now and he let's it slip in season, we're going to have guys like KJ Hamler, Andy Isabella, and/or Justin Shorter in the Practice Squad that will replace him just as quickly.

But the risk is Claypool makes it and then slowly turns back to his old self.  For instance Claypool makes it as the 4th or 5th WR but is upset because he feels he is better than Coleman. 

The unrest could be slow and start with confiding in one other player who thinks similar thoughts - maybe Davis thinks he is outplaying Cook.  It may not be an easy thing to catch on to.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But the risk is Claypool makes it and then slowly turns back to his old self.  For instance Claypool makes it as the 4th or 5th WR but is upset because he feels he is better than Coleman. 

The unrest could be slow and start with confiding in one other player who thinks similar thoughts - maybe Davis thinks he is outplaying Cook.  It may not be an easy thing to catch on to.

Then you cut him. Simple as that. 

This idea that a guy who's on his last opportunity and is playing for the last spot in the WR room could be a "cancer" is a laughable take. He literally can't be and he knows it.

He won't have an important enough role on the team behind Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, and (most likely) MVS to be able to make any sort of waves or problems.

If he starts showing any signs of being a problem, he's out of here and we elevate Shorter or Hamler from the Practice Squad to take the minimal role he'd have on the team.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you're borrowing trouble.

I don't think there's the slightest chance that a 25 yr old washout is going to walk into a room full of high character players and have any negative effect on them whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think you're borrowing trouble.

I don't think there's the slightest chance that a 25 yr old washout is going to walk into a room full of high character players and have any negative effect on them whatsoever.

I hope so.  I also hope Claypool is one of the early cuts.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I hope so.  I also hope Claypool is one of the early cuts.

I hope he shows up so pissed off from his well-deserved humbling that the Bills can't keep him off the field.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

I hope he shows up so pissed off from his well-deserved humbling that the Bills can't keep him off the field.

I'll be shocked if that happens, but obviously it would be great for that to materialize.

A trade ten days from now for DK Metcalf would also be great. I don't think either is likely to occur.

If Claypool had signed with the Chiefs, we would’ve collectively shrugged that off and not expected anything from him. But sign with the Bills? We’re all hoping against hope he becomes a main contributor. Perspective. Funny how that works. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brand J said:

If Claypool had signed with the Chiefs, we would’ve collectively shrugged that off and not expected anything from him. But sign with the Bills? We’re all hoping against hope he becomes a main contributor. Perspective. Funny how that works. 

I do agree that if Claypool would have signed with the Chiefs there would be a group that laughed about it and shrugged.

There would also be a group saying "Andy will get him open and productive and he's finally got a real QB in Mahomes...he's going to be a weapon".

It's the same thing here really. Some are high on the potential that if he recommits to football he can be a good weapon. And he can be based on his production in his first 2 seasons. So it's not that far fetched.

And some here are rolling their eyes saying it was a wasted move and the dude is hopeless. And that could be as well based on his last 2 years.

In any event, the dude has a Buffalo on his helmet for the moment. I'm going to sit back, watch how the process plays out for him and hope that Claypool figures it out and can be productive.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Brand J said:

After the hype for Harty and Sherfield last season what else would you expect?