K J Hamler the new speed threat?

7 hours ago, Commish said:

Keon Coleman shouted him out specifically as someone he looked forward to playing with. Isn't it probably/likely that the Bills had Hamler more highly-rated than any of the "speed" receivers available in the later rounds of the draft?

That then you mix in the fact that Shorter is a straight line long stride speed guy that is tall & has a good catch radius too so i'm hoping that 1 year to study the play book & watch he could come in and be a factor .

Then you add the new guys from this draft & FA alls they need is time to build chemistry with Josh & i think by mid season that could happen .

GO BILLS !!! 

If the kid can stay healthy he’s got a shot.  People were clamoring for a speed WR before and during the draft.  But we have Hamler and Isabella with speed.  Is there really any evidence a guy picked in day 3 offers more?

I suspect the WR room will look different opening day.  Beane may pick up a vet FA after June 1, and once cuts are made may see a guy they like then.

Posted (edited)

I hope the Bills receivers ball out, but still see our receiving room as very incomplete. 

1) We are counting on a rookie to be a number 1. How likely is that? 

2) Even if Coleman becomes a number 1 in short order, who is number 2? I like Shakir and Samuel but they both seem like slots to me.

3) The rest of the guys are a grab bag of retreads. I hope one will break out, but I don’t see that as likely. 

4) Who is going to be our viable speed threat to stretch and open up the defensive backfields? 

Yes Josh makes guys better, but not in the way Brady did. Brady just needed guys to run precise routes and catch the ball when he put it in them. Josh has a different style. 

I want to be wrong so badly, but I don’t see this group putting us over the top. We need Coleman to pop but we still need to add a comparable compliment, one that hopefully is a burner. Yes, Samuel is fast, but he isn’t that guy reeling in bombs left and right, unless that’s about to change.

Yes, Kincaid is in the mix but this all still feels lopsided and incomplete to me.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This concept we are a "slow" team is puzzling to me.  We may not be a track team, but we are also not slow and have a ton of athleticism across our offense.

Samuel is a 4.3 WR

Shakir is a near 4.4 WR

Kincaid is athletic and a mismatch type TE out there who can attack the seem

Cook is an explosive RB as a runner and a reciever

Allen is one of the most dangerous QB's on the run ever in the NFL

Then we just added Ray Davis who has great acceleration and burst to go along with some power.  We still have sleeper guys like Cephus, Hamler, and Isabella who all have top end speed to potentially come in a stretch the field (Hamler maybe having the most potential) and/or be a weapon on the new kickoff format.  

And, while Coleman may not have deep ball speed to just run past DB's, he is one of the most athletic WR's in the draft this year and has plenty of acceleration, agility, and burst to rip off large chunks and still beat guys deep.  I mean everyone wanted DeAndre Hopkins at multiple times in his career and Colemans pro day 40 time was faster than Hopkins fastest recorded 40 time.  Coleman is fast enough to beat guys all over the field and the kind of guy who also doesn't even need a lot of separation to be open like Hopkins.  He is also faster than Mike Evans, another guy people have been wanting us to go get for years.    

And in Buffalo, we play a lot of bad weather games and a lot more physical games where speed is nice, but isn't as valuable as toughness, athleticism, and execution. 

The fastest team in NFL history with 2 MVP candidates at QB and WR cant beat teams over .500, can't win a playoff game, and can't even win their division with a 4 game lead and 5 games to go.  In fact, Miami probably doesn't even make the playoffs this year with all the AFC teams on the rise and the ones getting their QB's back like Bengals and Jets.  

Great post.  I think we are moving to a more "physical" team. Want to take away the deep ball, fine... We will beat the crap outta you.  As for as our speed, we have it and its not about going deep all the time. Its about getting the ball out on time, on target and let their speed take over in the form of YAC.  Fans want Fantasy numbers, they want flash and deep throws and all that crap.  I want a superbowl win.  If that comes in the form of tons of 10-15 play drives so be it.

• Agree 2

Did I read somewhere that Hamler is working at remaking his body?  I took that to mean he's trying to add some muscle and hopefully become a little more resistant to injury.

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Unless he is returning kicks, he wont even make team.

The Penn rook will be returning kicks imo. I think he's going to be good. Hamler was a 4.3s guy. Wonder if he still is after the injuries.

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bad hamstrings and a heart condition.

I think it’s still a long shot for him to have any kind of meaningful role, but he’s talented. Like an above poster mentioned, if he can gun or return kicks he could make it. Otherwise he’s a safe bet for the practice squad. 

Teams also stopped playing single high against us. 

Cook should help that return, but taking away Josh’s deep game has been defensive’s priority.

he’s the definition of not even buying a lotto ticket but finding one… not great odds but you never know what could’ve fallen out of someone’s pocket. You aren’t making financial decisions or quitting your job based on simply possessing it though

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Lol, its really not.  He's tiny and constantly injured.  He is a JAG in a league full of these guys.

A guy like Justin Shorter was excellent on special teams and its something Beane mentioned last year when they drafted him.  

Unless Hamler can play special teams, he won't be the 6th WR.

I am under the assumption the Bills are adding another body to this group after June 1st.

Just on a quick check, he's 10 lbs. heavier than Worthy.

I agree that they like their ST guys - but we really need that speedster to stretch the field, too.  I'm hoping this guy can fulfill the potential Denver must have seen to draft him in the 2nd.

KJ had Pericarditis - a serious heart issue.

He tore a pec.

He tore an ACL.

Kid can play, but he has had setback after setback.

IMO a very shrewd signing by Beane.  Nothing to lose, and possible huge upside.

Bills like KJ, Shavers, and Shorter.   WR will be a fierce camp battle

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, we do really need another slot WR. 🤔🙄

Maybe we can come up with a new formation featuring three Slot WRs, no splits, and two RBs.  Seems to fit with McD's complimentary football MO.  

Funny, everyone just slammed Xavier Worthy who's similarly sized but faster.  

This place ... LOL 

Yep, they keep yelling that we're not going to win with choir boys, then we get Stefon Diggs, and everyone wants him banished, but let's replace him with Brandon Aiyuk. :doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I hope the Bills receivers ball out, but still see our receiving room as very incomplete. 

1) We are counting on a rookie to be a number 1. How likely is that? 

2) Even if Coleman becomes a number 1 in short order, who is number 2? I like Shakir and Samuel but they both seem like slots to me.

3) The rest of the guys are a grab bag of retreads. I hope one will break out, but I don’t see that as likely. 

4) Who is going to be our viable speed threat to stretch and open up the defensive backfields? 

Yes Josh makes guys better, but not in the way Brady did. Brady just needed guys to run precise routes and catch the ball when he put it in them. Josh has a different style. 

I want to be wrong so badly, but I don’t see this group putting us over the top. We need Coleman to pop but we still need to add a comparable compliment, one that hopefully is a burner. Yes, Samuel is fast, but he isn’t that guy reeling in bombs left and right, unless that’s about to change.

Yes, Kincaid is in the mix but this all still feels lopsided and incomplete to me.

Bills offense week 4 on, it was all Shakir, Dalton, Cook, and Josh, and they were often sensational.  Add in Samuel and Coleman and Ray Davis and Knox and Hollins.  Our offensive line has improved.  No more Diva distractions.  Hollins-Shakir-Dalton-Coleman all have very high catch percentages.  WR got bigger, faster, tougher.  Brady can scheme so many mismatches with Curtis-Ray-Cook-Dalton-Coleman.  

This just might the most talented offense that Josh has had.

watch some Shakir highlights.  

• Like (+1) 1

KJ Hamler is much like Andy Isabella last year. He's a guy who busted out of the team that Drafted him in Round 2, landed on a new team that ended up sticking him on the Practice Squad, and then decided not to retain him on a Futures Deal at the end of the year. We're his 3rd team in under 2 years.

Players like him (and Isabella, last season) have a stink on them that makes them practically a guarantee to not be poached to another teams 53 with another cut - regardless of how they look in the Pre-Season. He's a LONG shot to make the 53, unless we truly are set at Wide Receiver - which I HIGHLY suspect we aren't. They know they can cut him just like Isabella and easily get him back on the PS. He'd have to be undeniable to make the 53.

10 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Lol, its really not.  He's tiny and constantly injured.  He is a JAG in a league full of these guys.

A guy like Justin Shorter was excellent on special teams and its something Beane mentioned last year when they drafted him.  

Unless Hamler can play special teams, he won't be the 6th WR.

I am under the assumption the Bills are adding another body to this group after June 1st.

He is not a JAG. He was a high 2nd round draft choice, who would have been a high second round draft choice this year also.  He tore the same ACL twice, dislocated his hip, and had a heart issue.  Watch below and tell me he's a jag.  He's electric.  Beane would have taken him over Epenesa I'm pretty certain.  If he could somehow find 90 percent of what he was, we'd be dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

pericarditis.  Just top results on Google.  Not an MD in any life.  He was treated though and apparently cleared to play so maybe no big deal - hope for him.

Pericarditis can range from mild illness that gets better on its own, to a life-threatening condition. Fluid buildup around the heart and poor heart function can complicate the disorder. The outcome is good if pericarditis is treated right away. Most people recover in 2 weeks to 3 months.

What is the life expectancy of someone with pericarditis?

What is the survival rate of pericarditis? Without treatment, the survival rate of constrictive pericarditis is low. After a pericardiectomy, 78% of people can live five years and 57% live another 10 years.

27 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

He is not a JAG. He was a high 2nd round draft choice, who would have been a high second round draft choice this year also.  He tore the same ACL twice, dislocated his hip, and had a heart issue.  Watch below and tell me he's a jag.  He's electric.  Beane would have taken him over Epenesa I'm pretty certain.  If he could somehow find 90 percent of what he was, we'd be dangerous.

I don’t think Beane or moreso McD would’ve taken him over any defensive player they had rated the same or higher but I do agree he has special speed. Hoping it works out  

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

I don’t think Beane or moreso McD would’ve taken him over any defensive player they had rated the same or higher but I do agree he has special speed. Hoping it works out  

2 things; I don't believe McD runs the draft.  I think it's a group-think fallacy that has gained traction on this message board.  Beane makes the calls, you can see it on the embedded videos.  McD strikes me as a bystander (who I'm sure has plenty of opinion and sway) but a bystander nonetheless. 

In 2020, after the Epenesa draft, Beane looked visibly disappointed.  It was a stacked wide receiver class and I think he was hoping one of Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Laviska Shenault,  KJ Hamler, or Chase Claypool would fall to them.  He jumped all over Hamler when he became available.  That says something.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

2 things; I don't believe McD runs the draft.  I think it's a group-think fallacy that has gained traction on this message board.  Beane makes the calls, you can see it on the embedded videos.  McD strikes me as a bystander (who I'm sure has plenty of opinion and sway) but a bystander nonetheless. 

In 2020, after the Epenesa draft, Beane looked visibly disappointed.  It was a stacked wide receiver class and I think he was hoping one of Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Laviska Shenault,  KJ Hamler, or Chase Claypool would fall to them.  He jumped all over Hamler when he became available.  That says something.

You could be right brother on Hamler, who knows. But my eyes tell me McD has a big say. He stands next to Beane intimately whenever a selection is made. Either they’re just that close of friends or he’s micromanaging everything since he did get Beane the job 🙄 (I may still be salty that we passed on Franklin and Walker for another rotational DT 😆)

Body language is key when dealing with people and when the cameras scan over to Brad Holmes, he’s clearly making the calls and Dan Campbell is off in the distance high fiving people. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Bills offense week 4 on, it was all Shakir, Dalton, Cook, and Josh, and they were often sensational.  Add in Samuel and Coleman and Ray Davis and Knox and Hollins.  Our offensive line has improved.  No more Diva distractions.  Hollins-Shakir-Dalton-Coleman all have very high catch percentages.  WR got bigger, faster, tougher.  Brady can scheme so many mismatches with Curtis-Ray-Cook-Dalton-Coleman.  

This just might the most talented offense that Josh has had.

watch some Shakir highlights.  

You make a convincing argument. Fingers crossed. 

I’ll be grabbing my popcorn!

And even if Coleman wasn’t the BEST pick, I have no doubt he and Josh are going to make some splashy plays. 

AND YET can you just imagine a downfield playmaker, a Hopkins type, in that Y spot?…. Fire works.

Actually I could see them adding someone upper tier next offseason. 

Just now, NORWOODS FOOT said:

You make a convincing argument. Fingers crossed. 

I’ll be grabbing my popcorn!

And even if Coleman wasn’t the BEST pick, I have no doubt he and Josh are going to make some splashy plays. 

AND YET can you just imagine a downfield playmaker, a Hopkins type, in that Y spot?…. Fire works.

Actually I could see them adding someone upper tier next offseason. 

If we had Hopkins with our current lineup I’d be buying my Super Bowl tickets yesterday 

• Agree 1