It really comes down to Brady

It's going to be really interesting to see how Brady uses the TEs. Either he utilizes a lot of two TE sets or else Dawson Knox is not going to see much playing time.

Based on his history, Brady will want to use 1 TE (Kincaid) with Coleman and Samuel on the outside and Shakir in the slot.

But using Knox on the end and Kincaid in the slot I think makes more sense if they want to be a dominant running team.

Just keep it simple and out-execute the other team.

Posted (edited)

This is going to be the most dynamic offense the Bills have run with Josh Allen at the helm.

People are lamenting the loss of Diggs.  Don’t. He was becoming a burden to the success of the offense.  The requirement to feed him the football harmed our ability to get more players involved in the offense.

Shakir had only 5 targets in the first 6 weeks of the season and Kincaid only 19.  Once they started to involve Kincaid and Shakir, Digg’s reception % fell from 74% (weeks 1-6) to 62% for the rest of the season.  I don’t know if it was injury, sulking or something else, but the downturn in his play was significant and troubling.  

Beane has correctly decided that younger and cheaper is better going forward.  He has also decided, correctly, not to replace Diggs.  Instead he has decided to play “moneyball” with the Bills receiving group and make up the loss of Davis’ and Digg’s production in the aggregate by adding two players with needed skills to the two up and coming returning receivers (Shakir and Kincaid) and that is burner speed (Samuel) and a tough redzone/endzone target (Coleman), although I think Coleman’s presence will open space for Kincaid and Knox in that area.

Instead of having one Prima Donna suck all the oxygen out of the room (Diggs), Josh is free to pass to whomever is open without worrying about some guy sulking on the sidelines.  I’m looking forward to Josh targeting the guys who get open.

I also think the combo of Cook and Davis is going to be a huge asset for the Bills.  Both will be strong in the passing game, but both will help us run out the clock when needed.  Teams that can throw the ball all over the place, but also grind out victories on the ground are a nightmare for DCs.   

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/30/2024 at 9:29 AM, Sharky7337 said:

Going to disagree here. The talent is an issue because most of it is unproven we have 0 players with a 1000 yard receiving season.

Nope. Not the problem.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The talent we have is decent.  And it would work for almost any QB.  But therein lies the problem, Josh Allen is not any QB!  Give the man two legitimate outside WRs!  Stop trying to have Josh outdo Brock Purdy and Mac Jones/Zach Wilson with the dink and dunk.

Brady made do with what he had last year.  He adjusted the offense to hide G Davis who singlehandedly got Dorsey fired.  Brady was also given permission to unleash Josh's running- which was a decision made during desperate times.

But in order to properly judge J Brady's abilities he should be supplied with a full arsenal of weapons.   This should include one top tier veteran WR (sorry C Samuel).  Then the offense should be dynamic, and if it then isn't Brady should be held accountable.

Teams are afraid of Josh's cannon arm and often use a two-high shell against us, or otherwise try to take away the long ball.  We must be able to dink and dunk and, so far, we haven't demonstrated a consistent ability to march down the field that way.  Despite some of the analytics on his route tree, I think that's why Coleman was drafted.  

I admit, though, I'd still love a legit Lee Evans type deep threat on this team.  Or better yet, an all-purpose stud receiver like Moulds or Reed.  I want the Bills to have the ability to threaten every inch of the gridiron and force opponents to try to defend everything.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Some years, the Bills are this Brady:

image.jpeg.379aabfced992cba9fc0674b7525f8c1.jpeg
Some years, they are this Brady:

image.jpeg.1fe4f80c60df42ac38b3f5657ff6d032.jpeg
Some years, they're this Brady:

image.jpeg.538f870cf671ae8a92056cf9fde5f58c.jpeg

Let's hope it's not cousin Oliver. The show was already circling the drain when he was added to the cast.

12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

In Brady's first two games as OC his offense averaged 33 points.

In his last five games it averaged a perfectly average 21.8.

The pressure's on.  

it’s the wins that matter. 

On 4/30/2024 at 8:55 AM, Blainorama5 said:

I think Brady's going to try to run the ball even more this season.... bigger WRs (Coleman, our FAs) and younger tough running RBs (Davis) will help that cause.  Preserve Josh this year as much as possible during a competitive but "transitional" year.  The only way Josh has a long career, imho - is with a VERY healthy running game.  No magic foresight there obviously, but I imagine that's the plan, by OBD.

But what do I know ??

I watched Davis a couple times in college.  He is absolutely going to surprise people.  He can be a punishing runner, and has great hands out of the backfield.  Between him and Cook i think we have a more balanced offense than we did a year ago, especially with Kincaid and Shakir with another year in camp

• Like (+1) 1

It comes down to;

1) Brady making the right play calls

2) The O-line and receivers / RBs executing correctly. 

3) Allen’s execution of the called play,

3a) To include taking the (high percentage) chain moving option even when he doesn’t want to, 😁

3b) So as to keep opposing offenses off the field as much as possible 😁👍

3c) Grinding down opposing defenses as much as possible, so that they are gassed halfway through the third quarter 😁👍👍

3d) Instead of our defense being gassed halfway through the third quarter 😁👍👍👍

Time of possession has multiple benefits…, 

I have more mind boggling insights for inquiring minds, 😂🤣😁👍🍸🚬

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/30/2024 at 1:11 PM, ngbills said:

I still think Dorsey was a scapegoat and because we won more games under Brady it is viewed as "Brady is better". But reality was we won games because the D played a lot better and we turned the ball over less. The O stats were not that different.

You make a good point.

I was unimpressed with Ken Dorsey.

It's hard to fairly evaluate Brady, because he was stuck using a playbook designed by someone else. That said, taking the ball out of our best player's hands, and having James Cook run it up the middle instead for a 3 yard gain, hardly seems like a stroke of Bill Walsh level genius. 

Brady has the whole offseason to prepare. This time around, it will be his playbook. I'm sure he had considerable input into the decision to draft Coleman and sign Curtis Samuel. By the end of the season, we should have a pretty good gauge on what we have or don't have in the form of Joe Brady.

9 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

You make a good point.

I was unimpressed with Ken Dorsey.

It's hard to fairly evaluate Brady, because he was stuck using a playbook designed by someone else. That said, taking the ball out of our best player's hands, and having James Cook run it up the middle instead for a 3 yard gain, hardly seems like a stroke of Bill Walsh level genius. 

Brady has the whole offseason to prepare. This time around, it will be his playbook. I'm sure he had considerable input into the decision to draft Coleman and sign Curtis Samuel. By the end of the season, we should have a pretty good gauge on what we have or don't have in the form of Joe Brady.

Fingers crossed we get LSU results and not the CAR results...

On 5/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It will come down to Brady and the O-line. It all starts in the trenches. Give Josh long enough and he’ll find the open guy. Torrence is going into his sophomore year and looks to be a good one. Brady also had 2 legit weapons at TE and a top 5 RB. More than enough talent to scheme up a respectable squad. 

I too agree with Brady and the OL.

VPG has had a lot of college starts.  Also sounds like he is a pretty smart football player.

If he can start and not be a liability, having McGovern back at LG could really benefit him and fast-track his development.

Having Torrence going into his 2nd year should anchor him with Brown better.  That would mean Knox (when playing) can help

with blocking but release quicker and more often into his passing routes.

Sounds like Davis is pretty good at pass blocking.  If all these things can come together Josh could have cleaner pockets to play from.

I've been waiting for the day Josh can stay calm in the pocket for a little longer.  I think once he gets use to that he will be deadly.

• Agree 2

I believe you are correct sir, given the talent on this roster Brady just needs to play to these players strengths .

With what we saw from the running game last season and we haven't even seen a thing from the kid form Fl. that was drafted last season there shouldn't be a huge problem with finding some place on the field that Brady can exploit with these players . 

Josh will need to develop a chemistry with some of the new players but i feel by mid season he should have it down & utilize each of the weapons he has at his disposal .

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 10:36 AM, GASabresIUFan said:

This is going to be the most dynamic offense the Bills have run with Josh Allen at the helm.

People are lamenting the loss of Diggs.  Don’t. He was becoming a burden to the success of the offense.  The requirement to feed him the football harmed our ability to get more players involved in the offense.

Shakir had only 5 targets in the first 6 weeks of the season and Kincaid only 19.  Once they started to involve Kincaid and Shakir, Digg’s reception % fell from 74% (weeks 1-6) to 62% for the rest of the season.  I don’t know if it was injury, sulking or something else, but the downturn in his play was significant and troubling.  

Beane has correctly decided that younger and cheaper is better going forward.  He has also decided, correctly, not to replace Diggs.  Instead he has decided to play “moneyball” with the Bills receiving group and make up the loss of Davis’ and Digg’s production in the aggregate by adding two players with needed skills to the two up and coming returning receivers (Shakir and Kincaid) and that is burner speed (Samuel) and a tough redzone/endzone target (Coleman), although I think Coleman’s presence will open space for Kincaid and Knox in that area.

Instead of having one Prima Donna suck all the oxygen out of the room (Diggs), Josh is free to pass to whomever is open without worrying about some guy sulking on the sidelines.  I’m looking forward to Josh targeting the guys who get open.

I also think the combo of Cook and Davis is going to be a huge asset for the Bills.  Both will be strong in the passing game, but both will help us run out the clock when needed.  Teams that can throw the ball all over the place, but also grind out victories on the ground are a nightmare for DCs.   

I don't think anyone can say this is more dynamic than the year we added Diggs to pair up with Cole Beasley & John Brown (run by Daboll).

That's still Allen's best year, and we haven't had as exciting an offense as that since. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't see think anyone can say this is more dynamic than the year we added Diggs to pair up with Cole Beasley & John Brown (run by Daboll).

That's still Allen's best year, and we haven't had as exciting an offense as that since. 

2020 was certainly Josh’s best season throwing the ball.  Brown only played 9 games that season because of injury.  Davis was actually the no. 3.  However the offense itself in 2020 was not as balanced as it will be going forward.   Moss and Singletary had 1500 yards from scrimmage together. Cook alone last season had 1500.  

All that said, my post was about the coming year and how much better we became last season once Shakir and Kincaid got involved.  Too bad Diggs sulked his way out of town. 

I believe this coming season will feature a larger and more diverse group of playmakers than 2020; making the offense ultimately more dynamic. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan