It really comes down to Brady

We’ve witnessed the usual stuff post-draft.  The second guessing of everything Beane did vs. those praising him to the heavens.  Constant arguments about 40 times and gauntlet drills and on and on and on ad nauseum.  How we needed to draft a speed guy even though there are several on the roster.  On and on and on.

But the most important thing that will determine the success of guys like Coleman, what will determine the team’s success, is Joe Brady.  He is charged with putting the guys he has in a position to get open, whether that be short throws or long. People are talking about how teams will clog the middle because we don’t have sideline receivers or guys that can go deep.  While I would argue that, it’s on Brady to make sure we do by the packages and route trees he designs. He is also charged with getting Josh on board with finding open guys and getting them the ball.

To me we have plenty of offensive talent, led by the most dynamic QB and dynamic player in the league.  I am encouraged by what I saw from Brady last year, but he must continue to improve.  He must continue to alter things week by week so opposing defenses can’t predict what’s going on, which is what ultimately cost Dorsey his job.  He must maximize Josh. I think he can, but time will tell.  Let’s hope he’s up to the task.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been thinking about how the offense will evolve. At a very basic level I’d expect to see a short yardage and RZ package with 12 personnel including Coleman. Longer yardage and longer field personnel we might see more 11 with WRs and TE determined by matchups. Obviously nothing earth shattering in that. Just thinking about when we’d see different players on the field. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why would it come down to Tom Brady?

He has given his blessing that Josh shall be the next QB to win his first championship, the league will make it so…, 😁👍

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He has given his blessing that Josh shall be the next QB to win his first championship, the league will make it so…, 😁👍

The league will push for Rodgers and the Jets assuming (BIG IF HERE) the 40-year-old can stay healthy :)

Edited by Gregg

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The league will push for Rodgers and the Jets assuming (BIG IF HERE) the 40-year-old can stay healthy :)

Nah Rodgers is old, boring and a bit of moron, Josh is young dynamic, and knows when to keep his mouth shut, 🤣

I think Brady's going to try to run the ball even more this season.... bigger WRs (Coleman, our FAs) and younger tough running RBs (Davis) will help that cause.  Preserve Josh this year as much as possible during a competitive but "transitional" year.  The only way Josh has a long career, imho - is with a VERY healthy running game.  No magic foresight there obviously, but I imagine that's the plan, by OBD.

But what do I know ??

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I generally agree. We need Brady to draw up schemes that leverage the unique skills of our players. I still hope McBeane lands a high level deep threat at WR in the next year or so (one defenses truly fear) but I hope Brady maximizes the talent he has at his disposal. 

I’m confident that Coleman has enough juice to do some real damage if used well.

I want to see a smash mouth running game and an A level deep threat added in the future.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Nah Rodgers is old, boring and a bit of moron, Josh is young dynamic, and knows when to keep his mouth shut, 🤣

The league would love to have a big market NYC area team in the big game. Especially one that hasn't been in one since 1969.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

We’ve witnessed the usual stuff post-draft.  The second guessing of everything Beane did vs. those praising him to the heavens.  Constant arguments about 40 times and gauntlet drills and on and on and on ad nauseum.  How we needed to draft a speed guy even though there are several on the roster.  On and on and on.

But the most important thing that will determine the success of guys like Coleman, what will determine the team’s success, is Joe Brady.  He is charged with putting the guys he has in a position to get open, whether that be short throws or long. People are talking about how teams will clog the middle because we don’t have sideline receivers or guys that can go deep.  While I would argue that, it’s on Brady to make sure we do by the packages and route trees he designs. He is also charged with getting Josh on board with finding open guys and getting them the ball.

To me we have plenty of offensive talent, led by the most dynamic QB and dynamic player in the league.  I am encouraged by what I saw from Brady last year, but he must continue to improve.  He must continue to alter things week by week so opposing defenses can’t predict what’s going on, which is what ultimately cost Dorsey his job.  He must maximize Josh. I think he can, but time will tell.  Let’s hope he’s up to the task.

Bang on OP! I agree. I think we have the weapons to do some damage. Hopefully Brady can evolve this year and our D steps up now that we have some depth. Would love a DE/pass rusher in the next few weeks in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The league would love to have a big market NYC area team in the big game. Especially one that hasn't been in one since 1969.

The league already has that market, with two teams, The demographics for the league’s future trends to the younger, not the old guy on his last Achilles …, 😁👍

Our OL stepped up last year but I still wish it was better.  And I wish we had added a stud wideout to the WR room.  But if Brady is smart and creative, he's got a diverse group of runners and receivers, each with their own unique skillset, with Josh Allen as the centerpiece.  The toolbox isn't empty.  This offense can potentially score a lot of points.

Though, I don't know yet if Brady is smart and creative.  

• Like (+1) 1

I still think Dorsey was a scapegoat and because we won more games under Brady it is viewed as "Brady is better". But reality was we won games because the D played a lot better and we turned the ball over less. The O stats were not that different. The passing O definitely was worse with Brady, while rushing was better. But if you dig deeper much of the rushing improvement came via Allen's legs. Which because they were in much more desperation mode, I think they took the chains off Allen and let him run while during Dorsey's time in the early season they told Allen not to run. So since Brady was allowed to lean heavy on Allen it skews things. 

I am hopeful with an offseason Brady can put it together. But I dont think we can go a full 17 plus playoffs with the style he utilized with Allen as a bulldozer. He needs to get the passing game going much more than he was able to last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm of the opinion that Brady can design some good plays for the type of talent he has on the team.

I seen a lot of good at the end of last season.

To be very good at the job of OC is calling the plays in the right sequence to set up the D to miss on a strategic play.

I'm hoping he shows that this year.

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I still think Dorsey was a scapegoat and because we won more games under Brady it is viewed as "Brady is better". But reality was we won games because the D played a lot better and we turned the ball over less. The O stats were not that different. The passing O definitely was worse with Brady, while rushing was better. But if you dig deeper much of the rushing improvement came via Allen's legs. Which because they were in much more desperation mode, I think they took the chains off Allen and let him run while during Dorsey's time in the early season they told Allen not to run. So since Brady was allowed to lean heavy on Allen it skews things. 

I am hopeful with an offseason Brady can put it together. But I dont think we can go a full 17 plus playoffs with the style he utilized with Allen as a bulldozer. He needs to get the passing game going much more than he was able to last year. 

The passing offense was worse in large part because in addition to Davis, Diggs also stopped catching half of the balls thrown his way. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, transient said:

The passing offense was worse in large part because in addition to Davis, Diggs also stopped catching half of the balls thrown his way. 

Thinking about it more, for the Bills to take a $31 mil cap hit on Diggs, things must have been much worse internally than anyone knows.  And think that may mostly be due to disconnect between Brady and Diggs.  Diggs wanted to be the center of the offense, Brady wanted to spread things around including running more. Considering the emergence of Kincaid and Shakir, not a bad idea to do either.   Once Diggs saw that he just went through the motions at the end of last year.  Beginning to think off season discussion between Diggs and the team was that Diggs wasn't going to buy into that for the coming year either so they got rid of him, figuring addition by subtraction.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1