Beane literally added a promising draft prospect at every level on both sides of the ball

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

I'm no homer...trust me on that. I have been saying McDermott is not the answer for years.

I simply believe that Beane did a fantastic job in this draft by getting a player pretty much everywhere to help all positions.

Did we just become best friends?

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

How did we get into that cap bind.

By having an Elite QB

3 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

I think Beane is not getting enough props for adding a piece to every single group on both sides of the ball. This is an infusion of youth everywhere on the roster.

We are now a younger team that has good depth pretty much everywhere.

We may need a gamechanger or two, but now at least you reloaded the roster with promising young players, and next season we will have cap space and even better draft capital to make a power move or two should we have a glaring need.

I like the approach, and we'll see how good McDermott and his staff really are given the makeup of the roster

Great post 👏

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

By having an Elite QB

We do have an elite QB, but he is only accounting for 8.5% of the teams cap.

And he accounted for less than 5% the past two seasons when we were also having cap struggles.

As an example of why this excuse holds no water, the Chiefs have an elite QB as well. And have won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls. Yet they still have over 20 million of cap space.

Another example: The Bengals also have an elite QB. And we’re in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. And have beaten us twice in a row, including one of those times in the playoffs. They have $23 million in cap space.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

I think Beane is not getting enough props for adding a piece to every single group on both sides of the ball. This is an infusion of youth everywhere on the roster.

We are now a younger team that has good depth pretty much everywhere.

We may need a gamechanger or two, but now at least you reloaded the roster with promising young players, and next season we will have cap space and even better draft capital to make a power move or two should we have a glaring need.

I like the approach, and we'll see how good McDermott and his staff really are given the makeup of the roster

Sure, but the dark side of the reality is you're wasting a year of Josh's prime. Always good to look glass half full and there are longer term reasons for optimism, but let's not bury the lead.

• Like (+1) 1

"we may need a game changer or two"

how about 5 ? 

IMO, if Beane does not acquire a high end WR via trade this summer, then the off-season is a failure.

Maybe it will end up working out well during the season....

but at the moment, I'm not sure how the offense is better 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

We went into this draft with WR being our biggest need. We left this draft with WR being our biggest need. That's unacceptable imo

Why this franchise isn't hellbent on loading up around Josh Allen as much as possible is absolutely mind-blowing to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

Just now, KentuckyBillsFan said:

We went into this draft with WR being our biggest need. We left this draft with WR being our biggest need. That's unacceptable imo

Why this franchise isn't hellbent on loading up around Josh Allen as much as possible is absolutely mind-blowing to me.

Beane & Sean value  DL, DB, LB above WR 

it's frustrating

Samuel is a pretty good addition.  Coleman is a very risky pick IMO.  Boom or bust. 

• Agree 2

Coleman and Bishop likely start.  Those where the largest holes on the team in terms of numbers lost and who they lost.  They were diligent looking at each position to find their guy.  Coleman was who they wanted over Worthy, Pearsall, Legette and every wr picked after.  Bishop was who they wanted at safety.  The excitement in the room is evident.  Both plus athletes and 21 years old come September.  Hard to argue with either guy looking at what they were looking for.  

Bother Carter and Davis are going to be in the rotation and get meaningful snaps week 1.  Carter could be the future 1tech but will be the immediate back up at 3 tech.  Davis is a short yardage goal line plus back.  He will do that role immediately and probably be the primary back up to Cook week 1 aswell.  That good impact from the 3rd and 4th rounds.  

Hard to argue with the draft class as a hole.  Guys clamoring for player x over who was drafted is a product of getting too attached to players you have never met imo.  Needing young depth to push the older depth was accomplished at many levels.  Every player you can see the plan and path to how they make it.  Hard to say for many drafts.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Many fans, esp on here, want a big name, splash, flash whatever gets ESPN and any other talking heads liking us. And they also have a bad habit every offseason getting a player or three stuck in their heads and wont budge off of them no matter what, and that happened this year.

The flavor of this offseason was an X WR, or a guy with size and speed to "take the top off a defense". KC hasn't had  one since they traded Hill and still won a couple superbowls. SF has two really good WR's and a great RB and good TE, but still not the guy who purely takes the top off per say, and kick butt.  Detroit just gave a huge contract to a guy who is considered the best all around WR right now. His 40 time? 4.61.

Beane was smart, KC was going to get Worthy no matter what and he got them to give us a 3rd instead of making a pick and them getting him anyway.  Look Beane is far from perfect, and who knows how these guys work out, but we are a better team today than last Thursday morning, I dont care what others say, its the truth.

I don't think the criticism should be as a result of this draft. What he did is fine - but we have never focused on the offense or giving Josh the weapons that he needs to put this team over the top during a period in which Beane swore "he was never going all in". Now we have a "reset" year in the prime of Josh's career. That is not ok and a result of previous failures that he deserves a lot of criticism for. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

There goes the myth that Beane only drafts defensive players.

The truth about the draft is that teams are looking for two things.  Broadly speaking teams are looking for eventual starters early and later they are looking for cheap roster depth.  If a late pick becomes a starter (like Milano, Benford or Shakir) then all the better; just don't expect it.

This year's draft can be broken down even further

Picks 1 - 2 - starters sooner than later.  Coleman starts day 1 and Bishop easily pushes for immediate PT and maybe beats out Edwards for a starting job.

Picks 3 - 4 - Rotational players - Carter and Davis will get snaps this season.  Davis could win the RB2 job.

Pick 5 - Van Pran is an interesting case.  Most prognosticators had him as a top 100 pick, yet we got him at 141.  At worst he is depth this season, but he might be this class' Milano.  I'm admittedly a little biased here, but he could win the starting C job in camp, and be Josh's C for the next decade.  He reminds me of a better David Andrews, who was a UDFA out of Georgia with similar experience and leadership and he won the starters job in NE. Andrews has been the starter since 2015.

Picks 6, 7 & 9 - D depth with upside.  A Butkus Award finalist, the FBS leader in sacks and a small fast skilled cover corner.  These are high motor guys who will fight for a roster spot, contribute on special teams and hopefully develop into rotational depth.

Picks 8 & 10 - O Line projects.  Both likely start on the practice squad and hang around for a few years to see if they develop (aka Doyle).  Best case one becomes the next Wyatt Teller.

If I had to guess on the future of this class, we get 3 starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran), 2 guys that get a second contract and make an impact (Carter and Solomon), 1 guy who contributes but is allowed to walk when his contract ends (Davis), 1 guy who gets a chance at being the kick returner (Hardy) and 3 guys who make little to no impact.

I'm not sure I'd go that far just yet, but I do think one of the most interesting battles in camp this year will be: which player offers the best value: Edwards at LG, or Van Pran at C? If Van Pran shows enough at C during camp and preseason, and Edwards underwhelms, the coaches may think it's enough to move McGovern back to LG.

It's still a long shot, but it might happen. I think it may happen later in the year, perhaps at the bye week, assuming Van Pran looks the part.

1 minute ago, WacArnolds said:

I don't think the criticism should be as a result of this draft. What he did is fine - but we have never focused on the offense or giving Josh the weapons that he needs to put this team over the top during a period in which Beane swore "he was never going all in". Now we have a "reset" year in the prime of Josh's career. That is not ok and a result of previous failures that he deserves a lot of criticism for. 

Having a potential multi-year rebuild in the middle of your Franchise QB's career when you don't even have a super bowl appearance to show for it should be fireable imo... and this draft indicates to me they're going to double down on the same failed strategy that wasted Allen's first 6 years.. Give him weapons only when they have to then focus on "team captain" defensive players.

It's so frustrating.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Coleman and Bishop likely start.  Those where the largest holes on the team in terms of numbers lost and who they lost.  They were diligent looking at each position to find their guy.  Coleman was who they wanted over Worthy, Pearsall, Legette and every wr picked after.  Bishop was who they wanted at safety.  The excitement in the room is evident.  Both plus athletes and 21 years old come September.  Hard to argue with either guy looking at what they were looking for.  

Bother Carter and Davis are going to be in the rotation and get meaningful snaps week 1.  Carter could be the future 1tech but will be the immediate back up at 3 tech.  Davis is a short yardage goal line plus back.  He will do that role immediately and probably be the primary back up to Cook week 1 aswell.  That good impact from the 3rd and 4th rounds.  

Hard to argue with the draft class as a hole.  Guys clamoring for player x over who was drafted is a product of getting too attached to players you have never met imo.  Needing young depth to push the older depth was accomplished at many levels.  Every player you can see the plan and path to how they make it.  Hard to say for many drafts.  

maybe Bishop ends up being a stud....but Beane said he would have been okay with moving up for him?  FOR A SAFETY?  Why is that position getting premium value over WR?   We could have easily gotten the same level of prospect in Round 4 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Many fans, esp on here, want a big name, splash, flash whatever gets ESPN and any other talking heads liking us. And they also have a bad habit every offseason getting a player or three stuck in their heads and wont budge off of them no matter what, and that happened this year.

The flavor of this offseason was an X WR, or a guy with size and speed to "take the top off a defense". KC hasn't had  one since they traded Hill and still won a couple superbowls. SF has two really good WR's and a great RB and good TE, but still not the guy who purely takes the top off per say, and kick butt.  Detroit just gave a huge contract to a guy who is considered the best all around WR right now. His 40 time? 4.61.

Beane was smart, KC was going to get Worthy no matter what and he got them to give us a 3rd instead of making a pick and them getting him anyway.  Look Beane is far from perfect, and who knows how these guys work out, but we are a better team today than last Thursday morning, I dont care what others say, its the truth.

The Chiefs had MVS last year and also added Brown and Worthy this year.. so, clearly, they value having speed on that roster. 

They also drafted Skyy Moore, who ran a 4.41 40.  He hasn't worked out, but that was an investment they made. 

For the record, I don't think we need an Aiyuk.. but I do think we would be smart to add an MVS this Summer.  Just to have the threat of speed on the outside.  Maybe Shakir/Samuel can play out there more than we think, but I'd like someone who's a true outside speed threat.

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

"we may need a game changer or two"

how about 5 ? 

IMO, if Beane does not acquire a high end WR via trade this summer, then the off-season is a failure.

Maybe it will end up working out well during the season....

but at the moment, I'm not sure how the offense is better 

They traded their #1 WR and are eating a $31 million dead cap hit for it this year. I am not sure how realistic it is to expect the offense to be better this season.

Maybe they are better as a whole because they distribute the ball around more, or because they have better chemistry/energy/team camaraderie (etc). 

But $31M is a massive amount of dead cap. I think it’s the largest dead cap hit in NFL history iirc? It 100% puts them at a competitive disadvantage this season.

Adding a big money #1 WR most likely isn’t happening. That doesn’t mean this offseason is a failure.

IMO this offseason was about the start of a roster retool - getting younger and cheaper at a # of positions. The old core wasn’t able to get it done. Time to try something new. Retooling this team wasn’t going to happen in one offseason. The cap situation looks a lot better starting next season, though.

8 minutes ago, WacArnolds said:

This is unwarranted. Beane has essentially now given Allen 3 1st round caliber players to throw to. Diggs via trade, Kincaid last year and now Coleman. 

He also signed Beasley in his prime. 

If you want to say he didn’t do it early enough okay I can hear ya but he has given him good ball players to throw to 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, skibum said:

Literally ever single team in the NFL can say the same exact thing. You just can't grade a draft until the kids play ball. 

Not the Falcons...... 

LOL.. My assessment is this: We didn't have a lot of holes per se, we needed to get younger and add depth at certain positions, which we did. We replaced guys we lost with younger prospects. Out of this class if we get 3 starters, we're in REALLY good shape. If either of our DE's are more than serviceable in 2 years..... we will be in great position. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

They traded their #1 WR and are eating a $31 million dead cap hit for it this year. I am not sure how realistic it is to expect the offense to be better this season.

Maybe they are better as a whole because they distribute the ball around more, or because they have better chemistry/energy/team camaraderie (etc). 

But $31M is a massive amount of dead cap. I think it’s the largest dead cap hit in NFL history iirc? It 100% puts them at a competitive disadvantage this season.

Adding a big money #1 WR most likely isn’t happening. That doesn’t mean this offseason is a failure.

IMO this offseason was about the start of a roster retool - getting younger and cheaper at a # of positions. The old core wasn’t able to get it done. Time to try something new. Retooling this team wasn’t going to happen in one offseason. The cap situation looks a lot better starting next season, though.

The Chiefs traded Hill and won the Superbowl.