Beane on WR "We worked out a guy today we are going to end up signing"

20 minutes ago, transient said:

1. The Chiefs did a similar thing to Mahomes’ WR corp the last 2 seasons… was that inexcusable?

2. If this offseason has been bad, adding 2024 OBJ or Michael Thomas, both washed up headcases, would make it that much worse. 

It's more excusable for the Chiefs with Andy Reid calling the plays. 

If they add, it will have to be a trade for a roster player that isn't a washed headcase, or maybe someone shakes loose that isn't currently available due to the draft.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

I don't know enough of who is where next year. And I'm not going to gulp the scrote of the bears just yet, but on draft day many teams got significantly better. We did not. We needed 2 WRs if we didn't get one for the top 3. Or even top 5.

Ranking... Hell, we are at Carolina Panthers last year. 

Panthers last yr had thielen 😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

As a former Toledo resident I'm offended. I also offending myself for being a Toledo resident. 

I just picked them because I always thought that was a cool name for a baseball team.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not discrediting facts, I literally said I trust the facts coming from actual professionals not a fantasy football fan who turned his love for fantasy football into a job.

And you just shared a scout comparing him to a borderline HOF WR.  If he has the same rookie season Boldin had we might finally advance in the playoffs.

PS:  He’s also faster, taller and more athletic than Anquan Boldin.

There’s another scout saying, “he doesn’t separate and is a number 3.” I get that you want to be happy with the pick. Pretending that he isn’t polarizing and discrediting MULTIPLE reliable sources that don’t like him isn’t helping your case. If you believe that HE IS GOOD AT SEPARATING please provide the data that disputes Harmon’s analysis. Otherwise, it’s just blind homerism.

We all want him to be great. Some of us are just willing to use actual data, analysis and film study to identify his strengths and weaknesses. We don’t need to pretend that he’s someone that he isn’t and we don’t need to discredit reliable sources because we don’t like what they are saying.  It’s okay to live in reality. That doesn’t make you a worse fan. 

Also, do you care to list the WR groups worse than the Bills or are you still avoiding that harsh reality?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

The good with Harmon’s analysis is that he does a pretty good job isolating the WR and their route. So if one WR has a good QB getting them the ball or a bad QB not getting them the ball, it can account for bad stats.

Where I think RP is a bit flawed is that he basically solely looks at how a player gets open. So for example he - and a lot of people - loved Ricky Pearsall because he does run good routes. But it doesn’t really take into account that the boy is light, struggles with physicality through the catch and as a runner. It also doesn’t weigh for age where Pearsall has had 3 extra years of life to develop his route running than say Keon Coleman

So it’s a good way to tell you how good of a route runner a player is right now. But not exactly what they will become and how they are in other aspects of being a WR. In general, Harmon’s RP is very good though.

I wonder if Harmon can go back and chart the route trees of Terrell Owens, Eric Moulds, Anquan Bolden and Larry Fitzgerald? I would be curious to see how theirs looked coming out of college. Also, would the way the coaches used the player determine the way they ran routes. I remember how scouts/analysts kept calling DK Metcalf a "one trick pony" that couldn't run routes. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There’s another scout saying, “he doesn’t separate and is a number 3.” I get that you want to be happy with the pick. Pretending that he isn’t polarizing and discrediting MULTIPLE redouble sources that don’t like him isn’t helping your case. If you believe that HE IS GOOD AT SEPARATING please provide the data that disputes Harmon’s analysis. Otherwise, it’s just blind homerism.

We all want him to be great. Some of us are just willing to use actual data, analysis and film study to identify his strengths and weaknesses. We don’t need to pretend that he’s someone that he isn’t and we don’t need to discredit reliable sources because we don’t like what they are saying.  It’s okay to live in reality. That doesn’t make you a worse fan. 

Also, do you care to list the WR groups worse than the Bills or are you still avoiding that harsh reality?

I legit can't think of one of the top of my head

Maybe chargers?

17 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Toledo Mudhens.

Don't you dare

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

As a former Toledo resident I'm offended. I also offending myself for being a Toledo resident. 

I can't stand Toledo. But it's a situation where you can't say that unless you lived there (city of Sylvania for me).  It was a unique place to grow up in the 90s with the Storm, 4th of July fireworks (and the monster truck that'd go in the lake), cosi, cedar point nearby. 

I'm so glad I left. I hated Sylvania. Abercrombie and Fitchville of douchebaggyness. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I just picked them because I always thought that was a cool name for a baseball team.

Ya, I always liked the name, they're actually a pretty good team to check out in that neck of the woods. 

Just now, boyst said:

Don't you dare

I can't stand Toledo. But it's a situation where you can't say that unless you lived there (city of Sylvania for me).  It was a unique place to grow up in the 90s with the Storm, 4th of July fireworks (and the monster truck that'd go in the lake), cosi, cedar point nearby. 

I'm so glad I left. I hated Sylvania. Abercrombie and Fitchville of douchebaggyness. 

Sylvania, Perrysburg, Toledo.....over a decade, love the cost of living. That's about it. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's more excusable for the Chiefs with Andy Reid calling the plays. 

If they add, it will have to be a trade for a roster player that isn't a washed headcase, or maybe someone shakes loose that isn't currently available due to the draft.

It’s more about Reid designing the plays vs calling them, but that’s jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s more about Reid designing the plays vs calling them, but that’s jmo. 

Could be. It's just a pet peeve of mine when folks point to KC as an equivalent situation that somehow justifies our inadequate WR room.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Could be. It's just a pet peeve of mine when folks point to KC as an equivalent situation that somehow justifies our inadequate WR room.

It’s not equivalent. The Bills have the elite QB, but not the elite offensive coach that the Chiefs have, or the HOF TE .  Makes a difference when trying to get by with a middling WR room. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s not equivalent. The Bills have the elite QB, but not the elite offensive coach that the Chiefs have, or the HOF TE .  Makes a difference when trying to get by with a middling WR room. 

My point was more that it's a bit hyperbolic to say it's inexcusable to ask your elite QB in his prime to throw to an inferior cast of WR talent around him. It's not ideal, but once the axe started to fall on the roster after the end of the season with the Bills in cap jail, it is what it is.

2024 was destined to be a reset regardless of what we wanted to believe. Drafting a WR in the later rounds of this draft wasn't likely to change it for next season. Bringing in has-been headcases would only make it worse.  Like it or not, it appears that the Bills are going to be asking Allen to make the offense in 2024 greater than the sum of its parts.

If the guys they brought in can at least catch, outside of Shakir and Kincaid, that would be a nice change of pace from last season.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I legit can't think of one of the top of my head

Maybe chargers?

They are possibly worse. They spent a 1 last year (although it hasn’t looked good so far) and an early 2 this year. They have potential but aren’t good right now either. Palmer isn’t horrible and Rice is another lottery ticket. They probably have a higher ceiling than the Bills but potentially a lower floor (although I think McConkey is pretty safe). They are certainly near the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There’s another scout saying, “he doesn’t separate and is a number 3.” I get that you want to be happy with the pick. Pretending that he isn’t polarizing and discrediting MULTIPLE redouble sources that don’t like him isn’t helping your case. If you believe that HE IS GOOD AT SEPARATING please provide the data that disputes Harmon’s analysis. Otherwise, it’s just blind homerism.

One, I was high on him coming into the draft and you can see that in my posting history.  So this isn’t me “wanting” to be happy with the pick, it’s me being happy with the pick because I spent a lot of time on the WRs this year, including talking to people I trust.  

Everyone is going to have different opinions, but all the whining (not saying you) and labeling the kid as a bust or capping his potential by people around here who know nothing about him or that getting separation and open has very little to do with 40 times is as over the top as it was on Josh Allen, Bernard, Milano, etc.  

Let the kid play.  He’s gonna prove a lot of people wrong around here and I’m very confident about that personally.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, this is the saddest thread on here in a while. There are people on here that think this WR room is good. We are now suggesting ways to make it even better!! People are talking about adding (in no particular order): Chase Claypool, Kenny Golladay, washed Michael Thomas, washed OBJ, and washed Allen Robinson.

What are we doing here? The Bills needed to upgrade the WR room. They needed 2 boundary receivers at the top of the depth chart. They added one guy that was the most polarizing WR prospect, in arguably the greatest WR draft ever. That’s a massive failure. You aren’t going to dig yourself out by adding Kenny Golladay. As it stands the Bills have the worst WR group in the NFL. The TEs are good and the backs can catch but the WRs are last IMO.

I think it's the 2nd worst on paper #1 is the Pats. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not blaming Beane because they would prolly have gotten him anyway but Worthy is a good get for KC. I see Worthy as a guy who is a better receiver than he is often given credit for and if there is anyone who can develop him its Andy Reid.