Beane: "This team is in transition"

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The talent level on this team is so far behind the Niners, Eagles, Chiefs, Lions and Ravens

it’s not even close.

That anyone is even arguing this isn’t true is absurd.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Cap hit was this year or next , when Diggs would have been going on 32. Probably a cut at that time with no draft pick compensation. Why kick the can down the road again ? Loved Diggs when he was here, but clearly there were issues. I found Greg Cosell’s commentary on the situation interesting. He said in his opinion film breakdown showed that Diggs was no longer a #1 WR in the NFL and hadn’t been for awhile. Cosell isn’t one prone to hot takes and the like- he just evaluates the film. Just an interesting perspective on the player without the emotional attachment that we get as fans. 

I saw that podcast, and I value Cosell's take. I still think Beane planned on Diggs being here in 2024. I don't think he's falling off a cliff. My guess was he is still a solid WR2 caliber player, at least. Draft pick compensation is a legit consideration.

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I think we get to the AFC Championship this year.

It's certainly possible, I'm not going to discount that. It would take Allen having the best season of his career, Kincaid and/or Shakir really stepping up, and Coleman becoming a 1,000 yard caliber WR by midseason. If all of that happens we can possibly overcome the defense inevitably taking a step back and putting on a disappointing performance in the divisional round. It sure seems much less likely than it did at the same time last year though. And I have very little confidence that the draft class this year is going to be littered with true game changers which is really what we needed if the plan was to have a championship ready team in 2025.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I saw that podcast, and I value Cosell's take. I still think Beane planned on Diggs being here in 2024. I don't think he's falling off a cliff. My guess was he is still a solid WR2 caliber player, at least. Draft pick compensation is a legit consideration.

I think he did too. Just got to a point where the issues plus compensation made it worth doing. Heard HOU had expressed interest earlier and came back again with another offer after some time. Not sure if true, but I completely agree Beane planned on one more year with Diggs on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zevo said:

5th lowest odds according to the sports books. People on here continue to cry. Reality is they are still players for the Super Bowl 

How much of this is simply because of Josh being the freak that he is? 
   He has single-handedly carried this team repeatedly. That doesn’t mean we are true SB team though. 
   After Josh, who do we have who’s moving the needle? A couple guys maybe…

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, a transition/retool/rebuild year seems like the PERFECT time to add a few rookie WRs. It's historically a position that takes a year or two to get up to speed. So why not draft more than ONE wide receiver when you have a screaming need at the position, 11 draft picks, and a deep WR draft class? Let them get their feet wet in this "transition year" and from 2025 onward, we're off and running.

I don't see why having a transition year and meaningfully addressing your biggest roster hole with more than one player should have to be mutually exclusive.

A transition is not the same as a rebuild.

Look at this team with an Aiyuk on it.  It has a better WR room than last year.  And another rookie WR would be a waste, slotted in behind Aiyuk/Coleman/Samuel and Shakir.

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

We are literally going to smoke our garbage division and cruise on to first place.

the fish got gutted and scaled.

the jets have an old qb that hasn’t done anything in years with Nate Hackett.

the patriots are going to suck for the next two decades with belichick out.

we’ve got Josh Allen guys. It’s going to be ok 

Last years losses to the Jets and Pats just called. They’d like to have a word with you about the dangers of second hand smoke.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's certainly possible, I'm not going to discount that. It would take Allen having the best season of his career, Kincaid and/or Shakir really stepping up, and Coleman becoming a 1,000 yard caliber WR by midseason. If all of that happens we can possibly overcome the defense inevitably taking a step back and putting on a disappointing performance in the divisional round. It sure seems much less likely than it did at the same time last year though. And I have very little confidence that the draft class this year is going to be littered with true game changers which is really what we needed if the plan was to have a championship ready team in 2025.

I think the biggest things are the additions by subtraction. Diggs was holding Allen back mentally. Hyde, Poyer, and White had seniority over Allen. It’s his team now 100% for the first time. 

The offense went on a run since Brady took over and the defense went on a run after the Eagles game. 

We make it there because the following players are ready to breakout:

Shakir

Samuel

Kincaid

Bernard

Top that off with a strong, contributing draft class. 2025 the cap space blows open with Diggs and Miller coming off the books and we make the big time offensive signing everybody is hoping for (or DE). 

34 minutes ago, babulator said:

Without JA17, this offense could not even compete in the SEC. It's criminal how little they have supported JA.

Oh for Pete’s sake, you make it sound like we’re the Panthers offense out there. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I am so sick and tired of the cliched leadership and intangibles non-sense.  

Where was the leadership from McDermott when he would not take ownership of the 13 second debacle??  Leadership starts from the top and he spouts non-sense like the process and winning mindset.  We need to start a count of how many times he says we have a "young team that is still learning" as the losses stack up.  Oh you can bet it will be heard often.  

Did Jimmy Johnson's teams that boat raced us in two SuperBowls have choir boys?  No!

Do you think Belichick gave one rat's ass about character. He drafted a gang member and eventual murderer. He brought a "malcontent " Moss on his team and went undefeated.  

Is Kelce a high character guy? No.  He just destroys us.  

We need winners with elite talent not high character guys.  

McD chased away the second best player on offense because he dared to call out Dorsey as an incompetent OC.  Now we have to hope a second year TE that can't block (yes he is willing to but he still can't) can become a star.  

A small group of us have said the major deficiency on this team has been McDermott for several years now.  This draft just shows how much power McDermott has over Beane.  

As always, the only way we overcome this loser is if Allen plays superhuman football.  Truly truly hope Allen outlasts this clown and we get a HC that knows how to win in modern NFL.  

A-BLEEPING-men!!!

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A transition is not the same as a rebuild.

Look at this team with an Aiyuk on it.  It has a better WR room than last year.  And another rookie WR would be a waste, slotted in behind Aiyuk/Coleman/Samuel and Shakir.

Respectfully, what does that have to do with anything?

Beane specifically said today that they will not be trading for a WR. Not "maybe", not "I never say no to anything". He said "the cap is the cap. There is no trade for a WR coming, nothing like that". He said they're happy with the WR room and they're in "pretty good shape" there.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I am so sick and tired of the cliched leadership and intangibles non-sense.  

Where was the leadership from McDermott when he would not take ownership of the 13 second debacle??  Leadership starts from the top and he spouts non-sense like the process and winning mindset.  We need to start a count of how many times he says we have a "young team that is still learning" as the losses stack up.  Oh you can bet it will be heard often.  

Did Jimmy Johnson's teams that boat raced us in two SuperBowls have choir boys?  No!

Do you think Belichick gave one rat's ass about character. He drafted a gang member and eventual murderer. He brought a "malcontent " Moss on his team and went undefeated.  

Is Kelce a high character guy? No.  He just destroys us.  

We need winners with elite talent not high character guys.  

McD chased away the second best player on offense because he dared to call out Dorsey as an incompetent OC.  Now we have to hope a second year TE that can't block (yes he is willing to but he still can't) can become a star.  

A small group of us have said the major deficiency on this team has been McDermott for several years now.  This draft just shows how much power McDermott has over Beane.  

As always, the only way we overcome this loser is if Allen plays superhuman football.  Truly truly hope Allen outlasts this clown and we get a HC that knows how to win in modern NFL.  

We have the second most wins in the league over the last six seasons in the “modern” NFL. 

Beane's game with fans is to set expectations low under the guise of "shooting straight with them".

Then if they exceed the expectations he graciously accepts the accolades.

This situation is no different.

Game's over next year........when it becomes imperative to convince Allen to sign a new contract extension.   

s-l1200.jpg

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Success said:

Some fans are reading too much into the wording here.

It isn't just his words. It's his actions more than anything. Trading down whenever possible. Trading a pick this year for a pick next year. Cutting a bunch of veterans. Trading Diggs for a future pick and taking on a larger cap hit this year. When he says it's a "transition year" it's pretty easy to read into what that means.

By the way I have zero issue with the moves we made to trim the fat and prepare the team for the 2nd window of Allen's career. All of that I thought was necessary, and I appreciate that Beane didn't half ass it. My issue is that in a rebuild year his draft picks mostly represented short term thinking. A safety, a backup DT, and a backup RB end up being the middle of our draft. None of those picks are going to be difference makers in 2025, I'm sorry they just won't be. Carter is the only one that has a snowball's chance in hell. But they're all great guys with great back stories and they fill immediate needs, so Beane did the usual thing and stayed in his comfort zone.

Just once I would love for these guys to go outside their comfort zone. Instead of taking the team captain with a high motor (but no athletic upside for the motor to unlock), take the physical specimen that shows up late to meetings and talks back to his coaches. Instead of taking a safety or a low upside pass rusher in the 2nd round because they think he can start from day one, take a guy that is all boom or bust. Really go for it. They haven't half assed the tear down but they're half assing the rebuild, and you can already sense the excuses and low expectations they are trying to set ahead of time.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The quote is taken out of context, the team is transitioning because it lost a lot of the veterans and new people are going to need to step up.  It seems by all accounts the Bills have drafted a lot of quality high character players.  And even the depth pieces are quality.

I took the drafting of just one WR as a good sign.  It signals to me they are keeping room for a veteran addition.  No rookie could be reasonably expected to replace Diggs.  Getting another rookie like Franklin in the 3rd would have signaled to me a rebuild.   

The Bills still have a spot for the veteran.  They have 2025 draft capital to get one.  They have Tre money coming in along with another possible Josh restructure for 2024 funds along with no more Diggs as a way to justify future year payments.  

Please be right about this, but the add has to be in the good to very good range, i think. Adequate pro won't move the needle.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The quote is taken out of context, the team is transitioning because it lost a lot of the veterans and new people are going to need to step up.  It seems by all accounts the Bills have drafted a lot of quality high character players.  And even the depth pieces are quality.

I took the drafting of just one WR as a good sign.  It signals to me they are keeping room for a veteran addition.  No rookie could be reasonably expected to replace Diggs.  Getting another rookie like Franklin in the 3rd would have signaled to me a rebuild.   

The Bills still have a spot for the veteran.  They have 2025 draft capital to get one.  They have Tre money coming in along with another possible Josh restructure for 2024 funds along with no more Diggs as a way to justify future year payments.  

Perhaps…The only thing that concerns me is that Beane said no trade is coming at his presser.  The available options at WR in FA really aren’t that great either - especially when you consider what type of player the Bills need.  

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, what does that have to do with anything?

Beane specifically said today that they will not be trading for a WR. Not "maybe", not "I never say no to anything". He said "the cap is the cap. There is no trade for a WR coming, nothing like that". He said they're happy with the WR room and they're in "pretty good shape" there.

Respectfully, what are you talking about?  I was quite clear, transitioning is not the same as a rebuild.

I have not heard Beane specifically saying what you are claiming.  There is a thread below wondering who Beane was alluding to when he said "We worked out a guy today we are going to end up signing".  I think you may be interpreting something you heard or read in your negative light - much like you did when you used the words transition with rebuild.