Rd 5, Pick 168: Edge Javon Solomon, Troy

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Well we just got a next years 4th. That’s actually good value. Get another 4th. Package those with your 2nd from Diggs. Along with your own 2nd. Your 1st. Get into the top 5 and get an actual good WR next year. 

hell, at the rate we’re going this year we’ll be somewhere around 15 next draft so it won’t be that much of a move. 

Why would you presume to know how any of these receivers after the top 3 will pan out. 3 out of 4 drafted in the 1st round never get a 2nd contract the last 10 years. At this rate? What would you have done draft expert picking 28 with no 3rd round pick? I think successful drafts have more to do with coaching and creating an offense that maximizes the talent on the roster. Coleman was the best receiver on an undefeated team scoring 11TDs and catching 50 balls in 12 games for 700 yds. 3 of those games he had a 3rd string QB who stunk. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Why would you presume to know how any of these receivers after the top 3 will pan out. 3 out of 4 drafted in the 1st round never get a 2nd contract the last 10 years. At this rate? What would you have done draft expert picking 28 with no 3rd round pick? I think successful drafts have more to do with coaching and creating an offense that maximizes the talent on the roster. Coleman was the best receiver on an undefeated team scoring 11TDs and catching 50 balls in 12 games for 700 yds. 3 of those games he had a 3rd string QB who stunk. 

Dude. What does this have to do with my post? I never said anything about Coleman. I was talking about next year and having an extra 2nd and 4th after trading back multiple times this weekend. 

4 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Hate to say it but I loved the Miami picks in Jaylen Wright and Kamara.  Wright can produce a td drive in one run and Kamara solid production.

Hate we let Kamara go to Miami.  I guess everyone loves pass rushers with long arms. It hasn't exactly helped Groot.

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Dude. What does this have to do with my post? I never said anything about Coleman. I was talking about next year and having an extra 2nd and 4th after trading back multiple times this weekend. 

I just read your post and you intimated we got a crappy pick because the team would be missing the playoffs after winning 4 straight divisions and picking 15. Then you sarcastically suggested packaging all the picks for next season to get back in the top of the draft for a receiver.

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I just read your post and you intimated we got a crappy pick because the team would be missing the playoffs after winning 4 straight divisions and picking 15. Then you sarcastically suggested packaging all the picks for next season to get back in the top of the draft for a receiver.

Yeah. That’s it. 

we won’t make the playoffs this year. And yes, next year we’ll be in the market for another WR. Like we are EVERY SINGLE YEAR. For whatever reason we just can’t find one 

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Christian Benford was a 6th round pick.

Khalil Shakir was a 5th round pick.

Don't know who is going to turn into good players or not at this stage but the Bills seem to have a knack for finding the later round players that contribute 

This Bills team drafts well in the middle round. Besides Benford and Shakir, they took Milano in the 5th round, Taron Johnson in the 4th, Siran Neal in the 5th round, Wyatt Teller in the 5th, and Gabe Davis in the 4th.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Super undersized for an edge rusher. 

Not undersized... short... but with freakishly long arms.

His measurables are very similar to Elvis Dumervil, the Louisville product who was drafted in the 4th round and had a borderline HOF career:

105.5 Career Sacks

23 forced fumbles

2× First-team All-Pro (2009, 2014)

5× Pro Bowl (2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)

NFL sacks leader (2009)

Player                        Height             Weight               Arm Length       Wingspan           40 Yard           10 Yard Split

Elvis Dumervil         5'11.375              257                      32.625"              76"                    4.75                     1.65

Javon Solomon       6'                        246                     33.875"               80.250"             4.72                     1.65

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He looks like Melvin Ingram

Not a bad comparable but Ingram had short arms 31.50"

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, mrags said:

Yeah. That’s it. 

we won’t make the playoffs this year. And yes, next year we’ll be in the market for another WR. Like we are EVERY SINGLE YEAR. For whatever reason we just can’t find one 

Don’t you understand, Josh makes everyone better. Diggs just got broken down because targeting him overwhelmingly at the expense of winning football , didn’t work and he couldn’t promote himself anymore. You don’t have any idea how these receivers ( 2 good TEs, Shakir,who’s really good, Samuel, who’s produced with a rookie QB, and Coleman) along with a vertical threat available after the June cuts , will pan out  With a run heavy offense featuring Cook, who’s a matchup nightmare out of the backfield, there’s more than enough. Give these guys the benefit of trust because they’ve won the 2nd most games in the league the last four years and 4 straight divisions.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Don’t you understand, Josh makes everyone better. Diggs just got broken down because targeting him overwhelmingly at the expense of winning football , didn’t work and he couldn’t promote himself anymore. You don’t have any idea how these receivers ( 2 good TEs, Shakir,who’s really good, Samuel, who’s produced with a rookie QB, and Coleman) along with a vertical threat available after the June cuts , will pan out  With a run heavy offense featuring Cook, who’s a matchup nightmare out of the backfield, there’s more than enough. Give these guys the benefit of trust because they’ve won the 2nd most games in the league the last four years and 4 straight divisions.

Yeah and they’ve lost in every game that matters in the playoffs too. I’ll defer to it trusting McD and his process. As they used to say…Show me the baby 

4 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

Now that’s what I call a figure – ground reversal. 😂

Yeah the question then I guess is whether it is better to hate the team or hate yourself(the fan base).    

The latter is the @PromoTheRobot self loathing, fan-hating specialty.   One time he slipped up and sloppy-drunk-posted from a bar going off on the team for being so incompetent and how stupid he was for letting them break his poor heart but usually he stays in character............that the fans are to blame for anything that goes wrong.  He's the #1 overall pick of the fan-hater draft but there are ALWAYS a bunch of like minded self-loathers and they usually appear the moment the first draft thread hits the main board,  preemptively complaining about future complaining.

Fans are not only entitled to their opinions but the entire NFL draft money-making-machine is based on engaging people enough that even millions of fans that don't even follow college football at all in-season suddenly have an opinion about which college football players teams should draft.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah and they’ve lost in every game that matters in the playoffs too. I’ll defer to it trusting McD and his process. As they used to say…Show me the baby 

Don’t give up, they’re right there. They could’ve won last year with a few more plays and without a decimated defense. They absolutely should’ve won the 13 seconds game. It’ll happen sooner than later.

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This will be the guy we are all obsessed with this summer. 

Could be.   I was optimistic about Arthur Moats and he's basically the same guy just 15 years later.   Only notable difference physically or in their college production is that Solomon has huge hands.   Maybe that's the difference between making it and being a journeyman special-teamer like Moats.   Moats was an elite character guy though too,  I don't know about Solomon.

33 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Don’t give up, they’re right there. They could’ve won last year with a few more plays and without a decimated defense. They absolutely should’ve won the 13 seconds game. It’ll happen sooner than later.

And they could have just as easily missed the playoffs with a few less plays. So I guess we’re gonna argue about that. They made it tho. Great. Then did nothing with it. Decided to start AJ Klein at LB to cover the best TE in the history of the league after spending the year on his couch. Guess we’re just gonna have to disagree with how close we are. 

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@PromoTheRobot

Fans are not only entitled to their opinions but the entire NFL draft money-making-machine is based on engaging people enough that even millions of fans that don't even follow college football at all in-season suddenly have an opinion about which college football players teams should draft.   

Case in point the coleman thread is longer than the other 9 picks combined lol.

Weird i can't remove that tag...

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Could be.   I was optimistic about Arthur Moats and he's basically the same guy just 15 years later.   Only notable difference physically or in their college production is that Solomon has huge hands.   Maybe that's the difference between making it and being a journeyman special-teamer like Moats.   Moats was an elite character guy though too,  I don't know about Solomon.

Arthur Moats did end Brett Favre though did he not?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Arthur Moats did end Brett Favre though did he not?

Someone else too I thought. It wasn’t just 1 QBs career. It was 2. I can’t remember the other one. 

But I do have a Moats autograph on a Bills football. Thought it might be worth something some day. Pretty sure i couldn’t get what I paid for the football now. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, mrags said:

And they could have just as easily missed the playoffs with a few less plays. So I guess we’re gonna argue about that. They made it tho. Great. Then did nothing with it. Decided to start AJ Klein at LB to cover the best TE in the history of the league after spending the year on his couch. Guess we’re just gonna have to disagree with how close we are. 

One of the reasons we didn’t do anything with it is because our all pro elite 27M WR dropped a wide open pass.  Another reason is our pro bowl LT got embarrassed  on the games 2nd most important play.  We were a couple plays away from beating the champs…..

We didn’t win a Super Bowl, but it wasn’t because of our roster 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

One of the reasons we didn’t do anything with it is because our all pro elite 27M WR dropped a wide open pass.  Another reason is our pro bowl LT got embarrassed  on the games 2nd most important play.  We were a couple plays away from beating the champs…..

We didn’t win a Super Bowl, but it wasn’t because of our roster 

No. I’ve generally argued that it was mostly our coach, gameplan, play calling, and terrible in game decisions, including adjustments, clock management, etc. so I don’t have much to say about this other than that. But overall, our roster was not good enough. Hasn’t been since 13 seconds really. Damn shame McD ruined our best shot at glory since SB25

• Agree 1