Rd 5, Pick 141: C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

I do like the swing they have taken here .. i wanted them to take a chance on a Day 3 C .. and I think this was the best candidate available …a Top 100 player in this draft IMO ..

I don’t have anything against McGovern … but the best result for the team is that SVPG can come in and take the C job  early … 

We know McG can do the  job at LG … 

I like Edwards too … but we don’t know how he will  handle the job full time …

Remember the days when they were having to get by with the likes of Spencer Long and Feliciano on the IOL? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Arm length or lack thereof might act to remove any complication even if Kromer sees him as a possible OG

If Kromer thinks he can play at Guard I would trust him.  He certainly has done enough to show he knows what he is doing.  I think Sedrick could start at Center the position day 1 but he needs to prove synergy with Josh Allen for that to happen.  I truly believe he is an upgrade from Morse from a blocking perspective but Center is so much more.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I was listening to a podcast and they said short arms are actually better for a center, so you can get the snap done then get your arms in place quicker.  The opposite of tackle, where long arms are a requirement.

growling t rex GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

I just wanted to point out that Sed has the same arm length as Ryan Kalil, who was a 3 time All-Pro and 5 time Pro Bowler, and was drafted by a Panthers team that employed Brandon Beane in its personnel department.

I'm not saying Sed will be Ryan Kalil, but the short arms don't need to mean that his career is doomed before it begins. 

I believe there was a Tweet to the effect that the entire pre-draft process is what dropped this guy. Just tested poorly across the board, and when combined with his short arms, it's the reason he dropped. But that when you put on the tape, you see a BALLER. You don't start several years at Georgia without being able to play some ball. He had to handle some serious D-linemen in his time there. Dane Brugler had a 2nd/3rd round grade on him, as did others.

Maybe it's just the usual "Bills fan crush on a late round guy" phenomenon at play, but I have weirdly good feelings about both Sed and Javon Soloman. They might be my favorite picks of the whole Bills draft class.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just wanted to point out that Sed has the same arm length as Ryan Kalil, who was a 3 time All-Pro and 5 time Pro Bowler, and was drafted by a Panthers team that employed Brandon Beane in its personnel department.

I'm not saying Sed will be Ryan Kalil, but the short arms don't need to mean that his career is doomed before it begins. 

I believe there was a Tweet to the effect that the entire pre-draft process is what dropped this guy. Just tested poorly across the board, and when combined with his short arms, it's the reason he dropped. But that when you put on the tape, you see a BALLER. You don't start several years at Georgia without being able to play some ball. He had to handle some serious D-linemen in his time there. Dane Brugler had a 2nd/3rd round grade on him, as did others.

Maybe it's just the usual "Bills fan crush on a late round guy" phenomenon at play, but I have weirdly good feelings about both Sed and Javon Soloman. They might be my favorite picks of the whole Bills draft class.

I believe they're saying that his arm length makes him only suited to playing center, which Kalil was.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I believe they're saying that his arm length makes him only suited to playing center, which Kalil was.

Right, but it's not just that his arm length limits him to center. It's that his arm length is also shorter than ideal even for that position.

It's listed among his weaknesses in nearly every scouting report.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right, but it's not just that his arm length limits him to center. It's that his arm length is also shorter than ideal even for that position.

He is the backup center.  If McGovern is a lesser center than guard this gives them the ability to move him back.  

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

He is the backup center.  If McGovern is a lesser center than guard this gives them the ability to move him back.  

Right. I understand that. I'm just saying that I like him enough that I think by year two you'll be able to remove "backup" from that sentence. I think he's the future starter. I don't think you draft a guy who's potentially only a center at the pro level to JUST be a backup there. The Bills prefer their interior backups to have positional versatility. And I know Kromer said he believes Sed can do that and they'll cross-train him and all that, but...

I'm just saying: I like the prospect. I think he's the future Bills starting center. I'm just not how far into the future that'll be, but I wouldn't guess much past 2025.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right. I understand that. I'm just saying that I like him enough that I think by year two you'll be able to remove "backup" from that sentence. I think he's the future starter. I don't think you draft a guy who's potentially only a center at the pro level to JUST be a backup there. The Bills prefer their interior backups to have positional versatility. And I know Kromer said he believes Sed can do that and they'll cross-train him and all that, but...

I'm just saying: I like the prospect. I think he's the future Bills starting center. I'm just not how far into the future that'll be, but I wouldn't guess much past 2025.

Agree.  McGovern has a short leash.  

On 4/29/2024 at 2:17 PM, Doc said:

Play him at C.  Don't make it complicated.  

OR, make it extremely complicated 

Move McGovern to C

Move Dawkins to LG

Move ... I don't know, somebody else to LT ...

Anyway, you get the point, just move everybody. Git er done TBD!

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

I didn't hear that.  And I get why arm length would be important for an OT but not a center.

But as you said Kalil had the same arm length.  And Creed Humphrey's arms are just 3/8" longer. 

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

OR, make it extremely complicated 

Move McGovern to C

Move Dawkins to LG

Move ... I don't know, somebody else to LT ...

Anyway, you get the point, just move everybody. Git er done TBD!

Eh, the only real move at present is McGovern to C.  Edwards started 40 straight games at LG for the Rams, including their championship season in 2021.

19 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Move McGovern back to Left guard in a year

The more you look at the roster, the more you realize that next year is when it'll all come into focus. So much is in flux now, with a lot of new names coming in. The present roster could be special, but it's going to take time to gel. Kincaid, Shakir, Coleman, Samuels, Cook, Davis, a rock-solid line (finally), great linebackers, a good D-line, and a pretty good secondary. And of course a superstar quarterback. Looks like a great team. 

Just two more major needs: a second safety and a viable deep threat at WR. Then it's Super Bowl time, baby. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 1:15 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

Chris may come up with the shortcut VPG😎

Big O was calling him SVPG 🙃on the podcast w/Fina and Joe Miller. 

Go Bills!!

On 4/29/2024 at 6:24 AM, Billzgobowlin said:

Any thoughts on why this guy lasted till the 5th?  Strong Center with 2 national championships.  Let's face it Georgia really doesn't have many players fly under the radar.

He suffers from narcolepsy.*

(* it could be true, you don’t know)

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

Eh, the only real move at present is McGovern to C.  Edwards started 40 straight games at LG for the Rams, including their championship season in 2021.

Edwards was always a decent starter he only didn’t get a bigger contract is that in 2022 he got hurt. But I love Edwards more as a 6th linemen in a jumbo package and the first guard off the bench in case of injury with some RT flexibility.

I think Van Pran takes the starting center spot and McGovern takes the LG spot. Which solidifies the bench as the bench now has Edwards back on it, Collins a solid vet option if healthy, Van Denmark a capable swing tackle and decent developmental options in Anderson and Grabel 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Edwards was always a decent starter he only didn’t get a bigger contract is that in 2022 he got hurt. But I love Edwards more as a 6th linemen in a jumbo package and the first guard off the bench in case of injury with some RT flexibility.

I think Van Pran takes the starting center spot and McGovern takes the LG spot. Which solidifies the bench as the bench now has Edwards back on it, Collins a solid vet option if healthy, Van Denmark a capable swing tackle and decent developmental options in Anderson and Grabel 

Van Pran-Gran winning the center spot would be great.  Let's hope it happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Van Pran-Gran winning the center spot would be great.  Let's hope it happens.

I think Van Pran will win the center spot but the “Plan B” of McGovern at Center and Edwards at LG (which is actually probably the teams plan A so to speak) is not a bad option.