Rd 5, Pick 141: C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Sounds like the only downside is that he's a pure center, no versatility at all. But in the 5th round that's fine. I won't be shocked if he wins the starting job and McGovern kicks back to LG. He is not a raw player, has a lot of experience and plays a position that is pretty easy to transition to in the NFL.

It's pretty much all due to arm-length. Short arms are actually not bad for a center but you need longer arms at Guard and even longer at T. Kromer thinks he can cross-train at G and he knows more than I ever will so I'm pretty happy with this pick. If he can start and do well at C we immediately upgrade LG as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I was waiting for when they picked one of the guys with an interesting name. Coleman, Bishop, Carter, Davis, all pretty standard and then bam, Van-Pran Granger! 

Wham Bam Thank you Ma'am!

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is why I like this idea. If he needs a year to get up to speed and learn we have the spot covered. McGovern can hold it down for a bit. If he ends up starting now, McGovern can slide back to LG and it improves both positions.

I won't predict when SVPG will become the starter but competition is a hugely important ingredient to success.

16 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Im shocked we picked him when he clearly is responsible for killing 33 there.

Cochrane and Bailey have passed on but I think Dershowitz is still around.

16 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Surely not the Cushenberry’s of Sussex.

Lord Cushenberry wouldn’t have it. 

I'm told Lady Egmont was quite offended by this selection.

11 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills are listing him as a C/G

Could he compete with Edwards at LG and groom at Center?

There's no way he won't be getting practice reps at one of the guard positions.

9 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Can I pre-order his jersey?

Good thinking!  No telling how long it might take from the seamstress.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Torrence and McD would beg to differ

Torrence was a 2nd rd pick and was immediately seen as an upgrade to what we had at the position. The Bills are saying they are going with McGovern at C. While I hope they are going the Torrence route as I want Van-Pran in there as quickly as possible, for the time being I’m going to believe that McD will do what he has said he’ll do and start McGovern. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, mrags said:

Torrence was a 2nd rd pick and was immediately seen as an upgrade to what we had at the position. The Bills are saying they are going with McGovern at C. While I hope they are going the Torrence route as I want Van-Pran in there as quickly as possible, for the time being I’m going to believe that McD will do what he has said he’ll do and start McGovern. 

Yeah, I doubt he wants a rookie C in front of Josh with just a 2nd year RG next to him.  Develop him to take over next year, unless McGovern proves to be a stud at C.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I doubt he wants a rookie C in front of Josh with just a 2nd year RG next to him.  Develop him to take over next year, unless McGovern proves to be a stud at C.

I think the plan is to have him learn for the year, maybe even at LG (doubtful) or take over if any injuries arise. 

But I do believe he will be given a chance and if he knocks it out of the park he stays there. And I think this is definitely possible. 

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

If Van Pran starts for the Bills it will be at C.  He played C at UGA and is excellent at the shotgun snap.  If Edwards falters or the McGovern at C experiment fails, the Bills will move McGovern to G, Edwards to the bench and Van Pran to center.

I doubt that the McGovern isn't going to fail at center.  It isn't an experiment.   He's the center.  Whether the rookie plays isn't about McGovern.  If Van Pran can win the job from McGovern, then McGovern will move over.  

Kromer surely wants Van Pran to be able to play Guard in an emergency, but the reason a very good Center was available in RD5 is because he was literally built to play Center and not much else. 

If he’s unable to beat out McGovern and send him back to LG, it would be interesting to see if he’s Gameday Active with his lack of position flex.   He’s making the 53, but if he doesn’t win the spot, you’re likely not activating a depth OL who can only really play one position. 

It’s likely Sedrick either earns the starting OC job in training camp, or he doesn’t make the 53 and they hope to sign him to the PS.  He’s just not an OG.  Not nearly big/physical enough.  I would suspect that he gets every chance to win that staring OC job, as this was clearly a pick directly from Kromer.

15 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

One pundit said that he was the best shotgun snapper he had ever seen - for what that is worth.

Really? How is he at long snapper? That would really be cool to eliminate the position and add someone to say....WR.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Can we just get another WR please ? 

No!

🤣

2 hours ago, mrags said:

very fair points, I was just referring to the stereotype that McD is very reluctant to play rookies.

After a slow start in camp, Torrence won the RG job outright and had a great rookie season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Going back and reading some of the replies on this thread, now I'm not sure if he really is a great shotgun snapper. Is he? And if he is there really isn't that much difference to long snapping. This is actually a sneaky good signing if true. We carry a long snapper on this team and that is literally all he does. If this kid can long snap it allows us to get rid of long snapper and add another player to the 53.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s likely Sedrick either earns the starting OC job in training camp, or he doesn’t make the 53 and they hope to sign him to the PS.  He’s just not an OG.  Not nearly big/physical enough.  I would suspect that he gets every chance to win that staring OC job, as this was clearly a pick directly from Kromer.

Van Pran is a top 5 center in this draft. 

He fell to RD5 because of his lack of position flex. 

If we cut him, he’s not making the PS, and that would be an absolute joke of a draft pick. 

More likely if he doesn’t win the starting spot, he makes the 53 as the inactive OL until he is ready and/or is needed at C. 

• Agree 1

OK. After much digging I did find a quote.

“I think he’s probably a center only,” ESPN’s Field Yates said. “He’s an outstanding shotgun snapper a terrific player in that regard, which is an underrated quality. How many times have you seen a quarterback lean down and grab a football that was snapped at their ankles. That can totally disrupt the flow of a play.

Here's the link:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/nfl-dawgs/sedrick-van-pran-granger-buffalo-bills-2024-nfl-draft/YM3MTB6JPJEJTN5UEMXY5V6JEU/

Maybe we have a competition at long snapper in camp. Now I'm intrigued.

So in my opinion, your starting center does not have to be versatile. He can be a center only guy. However, your backup center cannot be a center only guy, he should really have position flexibility. 

Let’s say McGovern starts at center and Edwards at LG and lets say Edwards gets hurt…this regime is not going to want to move their starting center over to guard and stick Van Pran in there in the middle of a game. That just becomes a messy move. If it becomes a long term injury, you can make that switch during the week. 

Van Pran either needs to win the center job, or needs to prove he can do enough at guard to get us out of a game. I do not think he has a chance to start at LG. 

Cross training him makes a ton of sense in that regard, but this is a polished center who I do think has a chance to start right away at center. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2