2024 NFL Draft - Day 2 Debrief

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's fair but if they plan on using him down on fade routes and as a big Red Zone target, that wouldn't be too important since he would be going up to get it like he was back playing basketball and boxing out the DB.

That’s fine for a secondary piece. The Bills were lacking a number 1 & number 2 WR. They have some nice role players in Shakir and Samuel. Coleman feels a lot more like a role player than a guy at the top of the depth chart (where he is now). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Gunner, I loved reading your analysis as usual. I would like to throw something out there. I don’t think Beane was looking for someone to be “the guy.”  I think he was looking for a different kind of receiver than we had in the roster. In Coleman, we got just that. 

6 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Along with the Bears and Philly, I’ve liked what Pittsburgh has done. Thus far the Bills draft feels meh for me thus far. Hopeful Beane is aggressive in round four and goes and gets the players they like. Braelon Edwards, RB, Wisconsin would be a nice youthful power back to add to the offense. Still need to look at WR, IOL, CB and P today.

Yea the Bears have had a great draft. They have only had 3 picks obviously but might have a QB1 a WR1 and a LT from them.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure. I am not saying for a minute Keon can't play. Of course he can. But I think someone else said it above he is a complimentary piece rather than a feature piece. To me if we had drafted him a year ago when we had a bona fide 1 and we were asking him to be an upgrade on Gabe I'd be very happy with that. That is what I think he is. I just worry we don't have a #1. 

As a fan of the Coleman pick, this is absolutely true right now. Field Yates saying he thinks Coleman can be our #1 WR immediately is nuts to me.

He'll probably never be a great separator, but I think he can be good enough in time to be a good NFL player. We're getting Coleman so early in his developmental curve; he just began focusing solely on football two years ago and he's already strong enough that when he gets the leverage he needs, he can separate pretty easily. It's all about coaching him up to teach him how to create that leverage on a more consistent basis. The unfortunate thing is he struggled dealing with press coverage in college and it sounds like we intend to stick him out there as the X WR so he's going to need a lot of work on that very quickly.

But when it comes to gambling on relatively raw prospects, this is the exact type of archetype I like to go for. 2nd youngest WR in the class, one of the youngest breakout ages, early in this developmental curve, lots of physical tools to work with, high motor, and a few ways he can contribute immediately that nobody else on the roster can really do.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ll tell you ONE thing. Mcbeane BETTER be right. They directly passed and traded on worthy and leggette. So I don’t care about “fit” and “scheme” and all that BS. So Coleman BETTER be better than those two guys.

What’s concerning: Josh Allen seemed to pick Coleman ? Uhhhhh - i don’t want my qb involved tbh 

once again I’m sick of the premium mcbeane places on “captain” and “character.” We ARE not winning in the playoffs . We NEED impact players. 

still don’t have impact players. This is a gross draft so far . Def rebuild. 

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fine for a secondary piece. The Bills were lacking a number 1 & number 2 WR. They have some nice role players in Shakir and Samuel. Coleman feels a lot more like a role player than a guy at the top of the depth chart (where he is now). 

Shakir is going to be much more than a role player. The advanced metrics on him are spectacular and are screaming to give him the ball more.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Shakir is going to be much more than a role player. The advanced metrics on him are spectacular and are screaming to give him the ball more.

Their actions imply that they think he can fill the void left by the departure of Diggs. That's a heavy lift, unless they bring a veteran in to mitigate the risk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Their actions imply that they think he can fill the void left by the departure of Diggs. That's a heavy lift, unless they bring a veteran in to mitigate the risk.

I think Samuel will fill that role not Shakir 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I hope so. At this point, he’s a slot receiver that was quite impactful on low usage. He also wasn’t the focus of anyone’s defense. He won’t fly under the radar anymore. Gabe was quite impactful on low usage over his first couple of years. The Bills then bumped him up the depth chart and he didn’t continue to progress. I’m not saying that will or won’t happen with Shakir. It’s just a cautionary tale that he may not produce at the same level with more volume/attention. I think that “quality role player” is more than fair for where he is right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he is the replacement for Harty, not Diggs or Davis. He's a higher end Swiss army knife.

lol Samuel isn’t the replacement for Harty.  Harty barely played offense.  Samuel is going to get a lot of targets 

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The one thing that stands out is that Coleman reached the top speed of any WR in the last 2 years in the gauntlet drill at 20.36 mph. 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That isn't a surprise because he looks at his fastest to me ball in hand dodging traffic. My worry is not about how he timed or tested. It is about the lack of separation outside on the film. 

I am not a fan of the Coleman pick.  The WR draftee was, I thought, intended to be about explosive plays and stretching the field.  Coleman doesn’t do either of those things.  

That said, thanks Turk for the in game speed info.  This stat is what separated Nacua last year in the NFL and maybe that’s where the explosive plays will come from.  I also like the fact he does catch TDs.  The speed stats makes me feel better about the pick, but I still worry, as Gunner, does about the lack of separation in his route running.  

I’m hopeful for a 2nd WR in the 5th rd today.  Tez Walker has decent size and good speed.  I would mind the Bills taking a flyer on him. 

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

lol Samuel isn’t the replacement for Harty.  Harty barely played offense.  Samuel is going to get a lot of targets 

So happy you find it risible. It's the question of what role they play in the offense. Harty was a bust, and they dropped him and added Samuel.

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think Samuel will fill that role not Shakir 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he is the replacement for Harty, not Diggs or Davis. He's a higher end Swiss army knife.

My brother is convinced that the Bills are sort of evolving the passing game towards the 49ers scheme. Curtis Samuel is basically a poor man’s Deebo Samuel. He will be used to do a variety of things but isn’t a high volume target that Diggs was. Samuel is absolutely filling more of a Harty/McKenzie role than a Diggs role. He’s just a much better player than those 2. 

The biggest problem at the moment with copying the 49ers is that they have a guy that the Bills don’t. Ayiuk average 18 YPC last year!! For perspective, Tyreek Hill has never averaged more than 17 YPC. Ayiuk is an elite WR that commands attention and gets down the field. It would be like copying the Chiefs offense without having a tight end.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My brother is convinced that the Bills are sort of evolving the passing game towards the 49ers scheme. Curtis Samuel is basically a poor man’s Deebo Samuel. He will be used to do a variety of things but isn’t a high volume target that Diggs was. 

The biggest problem at the moment with copying the 49ers is that they have a guy that the Bills don’t. Ayiuk average 18 YPC last year!! For perspective, Tyreek Hill has never averaged more than 17 YPC. Ayiuk is an elite WR that commands attention and gets down the field. It would be like copying the Chiefs offense without having a tight end.

RIght. If you add Aiyuk to our WR room, I like it a whole lot more.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, balln said:

I’ll tell you ONE thing. Mcbeane BETTER be right. They directly passed and traded on worthy and leggette. So I don’t care about “fit” and “scheme” and all that BS. So Coleman BETTER be better than those two guys.

What’s concerning: Josh Allen seemed to pick Coleman ? Uhhhhh - i don’t want my qb involved tbh 

once again I’m sick of the premium mcbeane places on “captain” and “character.” We ARE not winning in the playoffs . We NEED impact players. 

still don’t have impact players. This is a gross draft so far . Def rebuild. 

It will be absolutely fair to compare Coleman to Worthy and Leggette over the next few years…guys Beane passed on at the same position. And if Worthy turns out to be a serious weapon that helps the Chiefs eliminate us again…heaven help us.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t love the Coleman pick either. He feels like more of a role player than “the guy.” The Bills seem to be replicating the 49ers passing game but without the field stretcher in Ayiuk (at least he isn’t a Bill yet). Franklin and Baker are guys that I like moving forward. Jacob Cowing is another guy that I would like a little later if Franklin and Baker are gone. 

Samuel is absolutely a guy who can take the top off. The Bills needed a guy to win on the boundary and I'm not convinced Coleman is it but the Bills seem to view him more favorably because Process and letting Eiche... I mean Allen, be the GM. A safety drafted in the 2nd needs to perform like a CB drafted in the 1st (not Elam) to be considered a good value. I like the player. Similarly for Carter, feels like the Bills are overvaluing the locker room over the actual skills.

If the Bills had taken the AZ trade down they did to go to 35 (for 43 and 79) and gotten Coleman, took Suamataia or Rosengarten at 60, then Bishop at 79 and Carter, the day could be considered a raging success. As it stands I think Beane locked in on his guys and did only a mediocre job fitting need to value.

Elsewhere I was impressed with the way everyone Philly needed fell right to them. The Comanches did a nice job mining value. Baltimore was quietly efficient as usual and I liked the Steelers drafting an entire OL it seemed and great value with Roman Wilson. It was odd watching the Raiders make not a single WTF?-pick.

Atlanta with Penix and Rube Ohohohohohoho on a trade up?? Thought Tampa had the most equivalent Day 2 to the Bills in the sense of the picks could all be greeted with a "yeah, but..."

For Beane who spoke on and on about a need to get more explosive, he drafted some Shriner cars instead of top fuel machines.

Edited by Ralonzo

I like alot of this analysis - but the “lacks separation” thing is a knock you can apply to every draft eligible receiver when talking about moving to the NFL. Worthy runs a helluva forty time and is bound to separate in a straight line or track oval - but may not always catch the ball which is pretty important for a receiver. For all the separation skills that Malik Nabers seems to possess - he didn’t get much separation against the two FSU defenders that were day 2 draft picks this year. When healthy Keon was a different dude on the field vs. the competition. He was simply at another level. He started the season as impressively as anyone I can remember and I was at the game against LSU. He was the best receiver on both sides of the ball - INCLUDING both LSU receivers drafted in round 1. He was plenty quick in that game regardless of forty time.  His other first half of the season games were plenty impressive too, as FSU probably doesn’t beat Clemson without him. He gets hurt in the Wake Forest game and was clearly not the same player . That is my knock on him - hope he can stay healthy with all the soft tissue type injuries (also had those at Mich State). In my opinion, he already is an upgrade from Gabe Davis. Anyone thinking he (or any college prospect) upgrades from loss of Steph Diggs this year is fooling themselves. Noone (even Harrison Jr.) would’ve done that - at least not in 2024 season. I think Bills will have a better offense in 2024 than 2023. For those that love to B word - relax and let this play out. You just might like the player Coleman turns into.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the glaring lack of a true #1 on the roster, I’d love to know if Beane is content rolling into the season with the current WR group. Makes me wonder if he’s looking at a potential trade after the draft for a more proven WR or kicking the tires on anyone left in FA.

IMO, he needs to be aggressive today in the 4th round. 

Edited by TFBillsfan

One of my sneaky favorite things about Coleman is that at 6'3" and 210+ lbs FSU decided to make him their punt returner. That's crazy to me. How many punt returners at the collegiate and NFL level are over 6'2" and 200lbs +? I don't envision the Bills asking Coleman to return punts but just the fact that he has and did do it I think shows the guy has some natural athletic ability beyond just being a tall and big bodied WR. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1