Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

You lose wr1 and wr2, and starting C - and you go slow WR, S, back up DT.  Nice!!!

it’s kinda criminal that they are content just letting Josh carry the offense without trying to make it exceptional.  So we’ll be the 20s version of the 80s Browns, 80-90s Dolphins and 90s Chiefs at best - good enough to compete but never good enough to be even the best in the conference. The overemphasis on D in an offensive league when you have a gem at QB is baffling. 

Edited by Ayjent
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

By the way as I calculate my 7 round mock I had Dewayne Carter going 99th so he was a 4 pick reach imo lol

Thank god I was waiting for your amateur draft rankings to know how to feel.  Maybe he could start, oh wait we’ve got Ed Oliver.   We’ve spent so much draft capital and cap space on DL over the years and it never has materialized into anything when it matters in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

You lose wr1 and wr2, and starting C - and you go slow WR, S, back up DT.  Nice!!!

Coleman is fine if that’s who Josh wanted as a Higgins type. Heck, I’m even a little ok with bishop because he’s a good player, albeit it’s a position I’d never draft first 2 days unless they were just insane value because safety is not a premium position that gets paid the big money and i believe early rounds you go high premium positions line WR, both lines and corner. BUT to go back to back defense in a lackluster dline draft and take a DT when you have 2 take the top off WRs available still in Franklin and Walker is just nonsense. WR is still a big need, we have no one reliable that’s a vertical threat. The pick screams McDermott as usual. Plenty of teams double dipped at positions of less need than us (lions and eagles both took back to back corners). I trust Beane for the most part and maybe I’m overreacting but I’m just so over McDermott and his control to make his glorious D that never shows up in the playoffs better while giving Josh as little as possible to keep him content. Rant over. Go Bills and hopefully we trade up for Franklin or Walker 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

1. Anyone thinking that the 95th pick in the draft is supposed to be a year 1 starter is taking crazy pills. The 1st and 2nd round are for starters, the 3rd round and beyond are for depth and developmental players. At least that's how it works for good teams, which the Bills are. The only way the 95th pick in a shallow draft is starting for you is if you're a bad team, which the Bills aren't.

2. DT3T was a need. Leadership was a need. Dewayne Carter appears to tick both boxes.

3. I would've preferred an offensive player. I liked Troy Franklin. Obviously, I know nothing. Or at least I should say that NFL teams clearly knowing something that I don't. There's obviously a reason that a guy many of us would have been okay with in the 2nd round is still on the board at the start of the 4th. So yeah, in a vacuum, it's irritating when your team doesn't take a guy you like that seems like a screaming value when he's still on the board late in the 3rd round, but...WR is a fairly premium position, so there must be a REASON that Franklin is still on the board.

4. Clearly WR is a deep position this year, and I'm hoping that the Bills take one in the 4th round. Either that or that they trade for a veteran. Coleman-Samuel-Shakir-Hollins is not a very inspiring depth chart in my opinion. One more legit dude needed.

Overall for day two: I didn't like the Coleman pick (I understand it, but I don't love the player), I quite liked the Bishop pick, and the Carter pick makes sense to me as a logical selection at a needed position. More help is needed on offense, and I hope they find some either with their remaining picks or via free agency. Not my favorite draft class ever, but I'm not out on a ledge or anything.

You seem to have gotten more Logical as the day progressed 😛 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Taking DT 4 over a WR with speed is…..

not my favorite but not totally impractical 

it’s the third round and knock on wood they added a heavily involved rotational piece and a big body. If it helps solve the annual over pay of mediocre big guys we can throw those funds at vets in other roles 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Coleman is fine if that’s who Josh wanted as a Higgins type. Heck, I’m even a little ok with bishop because he’s a good player, albeit it’s a position I’d never draft first 2 days unless they were just insane value because safety is not a premium position that gets paid the big money and i believe early rounds you go high premium positions line WR, both lines and corner. BUT to go back to back defense in a lackluster dline draft and take a DT when you have 2 take the top off WRs available still in Franklin and Walker is just nonsense. WR is still a big need, we have no one reliable that’s a vertical threat. The pick screams McDermott as usual. Plenty of teams double dipped at positions of less need than us (lions and eagles both took back to back corners). I trust Beane for the most part and maybe I’m overreacting but I’m just so over McDermott and his control to make his glorious D that never shows up in the playoffs better while giving Josh as little as possible to keep him content. Rant over. Go Bills and hopefully we trade up for Franklin or Walker 

Coleman may be fine but I don’t think it was the type of WR that opens up the offense.  I knew it wasn’t likely but hoped Bills really focused on Offense with their top picks bc they lost 3 lynchpins, but it is on brand for them to look like they are trending the offense in right direction only to let it unravel.  

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

it’s kinda criminal that they are content just letting Josh carry the offense without trying to make it exceptional.  So we’ll be the 20s version of the 80s Browns, 80-90s Dolphins and 90s Chiefs at best - good enough to compete but never good enough to be even the best in the conference. The overemphasis on D in an offensive league when you have a gem at QB is baffling. 

They did the same with Cam…had to be Superman. 

8 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Out of last 5 years we've used 3 1st and 2 2nd rounders on offense.

2019-C. Ford #38

2020- No one

2021-No one

2022-James Cook #63

2023-Dalton Kincaid #25, O. Torrance  #59

More like 1st rounder and three second rounders.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

ok bud

What franchise are you scouting for again?

This F.O has proven itself to be elite imo

How? Getting into cap trouble? Not having WR weapons? This FO hasn't proven anything yet outside of the luckiest QB pick in history. JA is the only QB who got more accurate after college and is saving their jobs. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

They did the same with Cam…had to be Superman. 

Are you suggesting that people destroyed Cam not Cam destroyed Cam. 

He was ego that did the superman bs.

17 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Are you suggesting that people destroyed Cam not Cam destroyed Cam. 

He was ego that did the superman bs.

That team was built so that he had to run because the line and weapons were bad. They poured a ton of money and capital into their defense that only really shined when playing with leads. The types of beatings he took definitely shortened his window. That being said, I think JA id s much better QB, but building Carolina 2.0 isn't going to get it done. Maybe this Calvin Benjamin will pan out though. 

First pick I’ve been on board with this year. I’ve watched this kid in Durham since his freshman year. Insane motor, great ability to find ways to win. Won’t be an instant pro bowler by any means but a good foundation guy and locker room guy 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 0017 said:

I normally wouldn’t watch a post game interview all the way through, but I enjoyed listening to him speak, I see why this guy was our pick. He’s going to be a foundation type guy for this team, I absolutely love the pick! You can tell this guy has heart and brains, probably the biggest unmeasurable thing in sports. Go Bills! 

Remind me of Harrison Phillips who was also a 3rd rounder. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Maybe cuz we lost our WR 1 and 2 in the same off season

Neither were producing as needed. What falloff do you see with the current group plus a possible 4th-5th steal pick?

42 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How? Getting into cap trouble? Not having WR weapons? This FO hasn't proven anything yet outside of the luckiest QB pick in history. JA is the only QB who got more accurate after college and is saving their jobs. 

You can say that about any QB that pans out. That Brady guy was no. 1 on everyone's board, right?

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Coleman doesn't look slow when you see him play. People don't understand that 40 times and play speed are two different things.

You have guys that run great 40 times that play a lot slower on the field and then you have guys that don't run great 40 times that play a lot faster on the field. Allen didn't run a great 40 time but how many DBs does he run away from in the open field? The dude is moving out there.

Coleman is the latter. 40 times come down to technique quite a bit...if you don't get a good start you can lose .2 seconds right off the bat with no real way to make up the time.

Coleman reached 20.36 mph in the gauntlet drill which was the fastest speed of any of the WRs over the last 2 seasons. That doesn't seem slow to me.

Coleman's 4.61 40-yard dash doesn't necessarily jump off the charts, but in the gauntlet drill at the NFL Combine, Coleman reached a top speed of 20.36 miles per hour – the fastest speed by a receiver over the last two seasons.

"The 40 is no longer the most effective way to determine a player's speed," wrote ESPN’s Marcel Louis-Jacques earlier this year. "The value it once had to teams has diminished in its 80-year existence, as clubs turn toward other means – such as GPS tracking and analytical data – to fully understand how fast a player can move in football specific situations."

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2