Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shakir being very good is a stretch...he had a couple of nice games last year. 

He looks like a guy that can be very good but he has a lot to prove 

I got blasted a while back for suggesting we needed two WRs so Shakir would have legitimate competition for his spot in the offense. 

Just assuming your guys will "take a step" is such poor team management. It's why we're in trouble in the WR room in the first place. There was too much misplaced faith in Davis.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Small DT? Aaron Donald is 2 inches shorter and dominated everybody.  The size factor doesn’t mean much able smaller DT’s can be every bit as disruptive or moreso if they have speed and power.  This kid looks good.  I don’t know why we all think we are experts.  Everybody else passed on this Franklin guy too.  Must be reasons and we have a ton of other needs. 

Strikes me as a career back up, a Tim Settle 2.0. Issac will be a starter. Time will tell. Either of us are experts but we are both free to ponder the football draft nuances on this board.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You do realize that we are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL over the past 4 seasons, our QB is a perennial MVP candidate and averages 5100 yards and 44 TD's over that span right?  

People act like Allen has had no help at all.  Beane traded up for Kincaid last year, we have a young WR in Shakir who just led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target who plays like a mini Deebo, we have a duel threat RB, and signed a quality veteran in Samuel.  Now we just added top prospect in the draft at WR too.  Plus we still have Knox and him combined with Kincaid gives us one of the best TE rooms in the NFL.  

This notion Allen has no weapons is just a gross exaggeration.  

Im telling you now...Allen very well could have his best season of his career this season.  Shakir and Coleman bring some much needed toughness to the offense.  Where was Diggs when the season got late and games got more physical?  Allens INT rate was double throwing to Diggs and Davis than it was throwing to everyone else. 

Allen is going to spread the ball around and now has a guy who can go up and get balls too, which we sorely needed.  We went from drop city to a team made up of guys with great hands and intelligence.  

Because Josh is a great, generational QB. And for all of those numbers you just gave...what have we won? 

Here's a dose of reality...when the decision keeps being made to bring McDermott back...we KNOW we're going to have to score 30-40+ points in big playoff games to offset the massive liability that he and his defense is here. We know McDermott's D is going to give up big points in big games because that's what he does. We know he's going to make poor decisions on top of that. All of that is something #17 has to overcome. Even when he has and gave McD a lead with 13 seconds left...that wasn't enough for him either.

So yes, we do need more weapons for him to be able to do that when it matters most. He has to do more than Mahomes or any other QB to overcome McDermott. This is our reality, it's been proven over and over and over again. 

When you take that into account...Samuel, Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox is not enough unless you're just content with playoffs and losing to KC, which it seems like an inordinate amount of fans are. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I got blasted a while back for suggesting we needed two WRs so Shakir would have legitimate competition for his spot in the offense. 

Just assuming your guys will "take a step" is such poor team management. It's why we're in trouble in the WR room in the first place. There was too much misplaced faith in Davis.

I can not disagree with this take.  And McKenzie, though they did bring in Crowder as competition.

But you know, the draft ain't over, and the season won't start the day after the draft, so...

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

That was my take but he’s still around and we have a bunch of draft capital still. 

I'm starting to wonder just WTF Franklin did though. 

Did he lease a Lambo?   Show 'tude during interviews?  Flunk out at the whiteboard?

Welp, Then

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

How many teams took 2 WRs so far? Cuz ya know double dipping should help teams that have bad WRs like Baltimore and Arizona and Carolina....

Carolina traded for a WR. And picked one higher than we did.

Arizona picked the best WR in the draft at #4 overall.

Good points all around.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shakir being very good is a stretch...he had a couple of nice games last year. 

He looks like a guy that can be very good but he has a lot to prove 

Promising may have been a better word.

I like him, Kincaid, Cook... I'm even coming round to Coleman. Samuel is just about an acceptable number two. But there's a real need to replace Diggs and that meant making a play, either to try and draft one of the big three or going for a veteran. 

I was hopeful heading into tonight that the Bills might be able to use the additional round two picks this year and next, plus maybe a fifth, to make move. Strike out and take a risk to get someone in who can make a mark. Perhaps that's why I'm so peeved now and maybe I'm being unreasonable.

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Because Josh is a great, generational QB. And for all of those numbers you just gave...what have we won? 

Here's a dose of reality...when the decision keeps being made to bring McDermott back...we KNOW we're going to have to score 30-40+ points in big playoff games to offset the massive liability that he and his defense is here. We know McDermott's D is going to give up big points in big games because that's what he does. We know he's going to make poor decisions on top of that. All of that is something #17 has to overcome. Even when he has and gave McD a lead with 13 seconds left...that wasn't enough for him either.

So yes, we do need more weapons for him to be able to do that when it matters most. He has to do more than Mahomes or any other QB to overcome McDermott. This is our reality, it's been proven over and over and over again. 

When you take that into account...Samuel, Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox is not enough unless you're just content with playoffs and losing to KC, which it seems like an inordinate amount of fans are. 

You mean Fraziers defense since McD's first year running the defense didn't do that last year.  

• Dislike 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

I can not disagree with this take.  And McKenzie, though they did bring in Crowder as competition.

But you know, the draft ain't over, and the season won't start the day after the draft, so...

Totally, and I didn't mean to make it sound defeatist. Earlier in this thread I said that there are still good WR candidates on the board right now and we have a lot of capital to move around day 3 if we want to.

I'm fine with the pick. I wanted a WR, but I get why they did what they did. Now if they don't get a WR in the 4th I might start to get very frustrated...

5 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Who says that we are done? Buffalo has enough picks for trade capital.  Maybe Franklin falls to Buffalo or Buffalo moves up to get him. Maybe a trade for Aiyuk or Higgins is on the table.

I would prefer a veteran. Any Receiver left in the draft is no more or less likely to contribute this year than Shorter, Hollins or Isabella.

I think the Bills may draft another WR (hopefully Franklin falls or they make a trade up) but I think they are looking at any WR drafted as depth or a role player. They probably plan on running two TE sets and rolling with Coleman on the outside and Shakir/Samuel splitting the other outside WR reps. 

I am fine with rolling with that provided they add a depth piece as I think relying on Shorter and Hollins is not a good idea as the back two WR’s. Hopefully they can get Franklin as I am not sure why he has fallen so much (maybe there’s a medical out on him).

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Where is another rookie WR going to play. Who are they benching. Allen supposedly asked for Keon Coleman who is going to be a starter here. I think we can all assume Shakir is going to have a much bigger role, Kincaid is going to be the primary weapon in year 2, they signed Curtis Samuel to a 8 million a year so he's playing. Cook has to get his share of receptions and you know that Knox will factor into the passing game at times.

I think they will draft another guy who can play outside on Day 3 for sure in case of injury and has ST's capability as well but that guy isn't going to be getting a ton of run unless its injury related.

So you are guaranteeing Coleman is a starter? 

None of us know if he is going to be any good. But all of us know you nearly double your odds if you take another WR.

How can you defend what hasn't worked? They keep drafting defense early and it hasn't worked.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

So why are you upset we just drafted one of the best red zone targets in the draft?  No disrespect, but I don't get what you are unhappy with then.  

Beane created a major hole at WR by trading Diggs on top of already losing Davis. Then, at least so far, has given a half-assed approach to fill that gaping hole. An unproven vet and a rookie with questionable speed. It would of been nice to see Beane be a little more aggressive trying to find a legit Diggs replacement. 

46 minutes ago, wppete said:

I normally wouldn’t watch a post game interview all the way through, but I enjoyed listening to him speak, I see why this guy was our pick. He’s going to be a foundation type guy for this team, I absolutely love the pick! You can tell this guy has heart and brains, probably the biggest unmeasurable thing in sports. Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Where did I say that was my expectation?

I was more making a point about him than singling you out. My point is still that if we’re so short on leadership and captains that we’re taking guys in the draft and hope they become that were in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean Fraziers defense since McD's first year running the defense didn't do that last year.  

Spare us that nonsense. It has always been McDermott's defense. His defense collapsed last year against Denver, Eagles twice, and again against KC. 

If you are going to defend McDermott then don't lay the blame elsewhere.  

As far this pick goes I am ok with it. DT was a glaring depth and development need. They had two vets in Daquon and Johnson plus Oliver in his prime. They needed a 4th DT to round out the rotation and have to develop behind the older players.

I wanted Franklin but he’s still on the board for some reason and the Bills filled two of their most pressing defensive needs and grabbed a WR at pick 33. A really good night and the Bills are drafting 5 times in the next two rounds so there’s time to add depth at WR, CB, DE, RB and OL.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Where is another rookie WR going to play. Who are they benching. Allen supposedly asked for Keon Coleman who is going to be a starter here. I think we can all assume Shakir is going to have a much bigger role, Kincaid is going to be the primary weapon in year 2, they signed Curtis Samuel to a 8 million a year so he's playing. Cook has to get his share of receptions and you know that Knox will factor into the passing game at times.

I think they will draft another guy who can play outside on Day 3 for sure in case of injury and has ST's capability as well but that guy isn't going to be getting a ton of run unless its injury related.

yea a twitter nobody said that josh wanted him, that's as meanngful as stash on gr saying it, ***** off with that *****.  a day 3 outside guy is the same as saying an outside guy doesn't matter.  in certain offenses, sure.  when you have josh allen, no.  Since you mention the targets we have on the roster, let's break it down.  They're all short yardage/over the middle guys.  guess what good defenses will do?  Oh, hey, what does that do to your rb threat, james cook?  Oh *****, well at least we have a good rotational dt.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So you are guaranteeing Coleman is a starter? 

None of us know if he is going to be any good. But all of us know you nearly double your odds if you take another WR.

How can you defend what hasn't worked? They keep drafting defense early and it hasn't worked.  

Yea Coleman is going to be a starter. I guarantee it unless he gets hurt in training camp or something. They are going to take another WR, I said that in multiple other posts. They will do it tomorrow.

I also don't believe that just going full firepower offense is the way to beat the Chiefs. Every game against the Chiefs is a story in each game.

The first time they played they weren't ready for the moment and got overwhelmed by a better more experienced team despite taking an early lead.

The 2nd game we put up 36 Points on offense and lost the game because our defense couldn't get off the field and coaching blunders

Last years game was a tightly contested battle where we were highly injured and the Chiefs made more big plays than the Bills down the stretch of the game.

Really 2 out of the 3 games was simply the Chiefs came through in the clutch and the Bills didn't. The Bills need to make the plays in the right moments against the Chiefs on offense, defense and special teams. They have failed in all 3 phases in them in their 3 separate playoff outings.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think the two themes of this draft is clearly  what I said early

Tough, gritty, disciplined, leader types and they decided they wanted to get bigger and more physical in this draft.

tough and gritty in a league predicated on speed is a recipe for success, HUZZAH!!!!!

• Eyeroll 2