Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Rounds 2 & 3 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

SDS

6 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I want to believe that but ultimately you can't just yell "process!" at your opponent and win, you have to kick their ass and defeat them.  I want the Bills drafting guys who do that - within the framework of an 11-man rolling ball of anarchy. When guys like that go to the enemy while the football equivalent of [political analogy redacted] get drafted to my fanatically supported team, I'm gonna rage.

i never said anything about process.  Teams need leaders to get through losing streaks, injuries and keeping their poise on the road.

This team has 4 good picks next year to add to what they have.

To me they are missing a real top end Pass rusher, A top end corner and they may have an issue at LG.

Next year they will have cap space and draft power to go get a pass rusher, a top wr or a top corner.  

This is a good team and they have a lot to keep doing to get better.  I think they did today and hope they do tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sometimes you get lucky…

And sometimes you don't: McCaffrey was my crush for 128, and what just sent me over the edge tonight was seeing him go at 100 after a pick I just hated. I see him as someone who can win at all levels, inside or outside, speed and shift and physicality and he goes to effing Harblaugh and the Stupor Chargers 5 picks after Beane takes Captain Intangibles with a premium Day 2 pick.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Anyone have on NFLN radio around 1115?  I was getting in my car and they were talking about someone with no ACL in one knee.  Anyone know who they were talking about?

Payton Wilson

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not good enough. Not making any team sweat

You need to seriously chill out bro.  All these trades, talk of lack of playmakers, etc.

Some of the guys you mentioned to trade for: Higgins, Deebo as example.   These were both day 2 picks.  You could go back and look at alot of past drafts and find Day 2 WRs having a big impact on their team.

Whose to say Coleman doesn't have a 800 yard+ season, 9-10 TDs?  Just because he's not who "you" wanted, but Beane and professionals spend countless hours deliberating.

Kincaid especially, but also Shakir are being counted on to take another step.  Samuel brings versatility, and likely 800+ yards.

We also have Knox and Cook as complementary receiving options.  Likely drafting another WR tomorrow.

If you paid any attention to Beanes recent press conferences (since Diggs trade), he has stated multiple times that we aren't necessarily finding a WR1/alpha type.  We're going with a GB/Steeler type model, multiple guys who can contribute and all have differing skill sets.  

Maybe it works and we're a top offense still, maybe the plan blows up on them.  But any offense led by Josh Allen is going to be very successful, especially if Brady can improve in certain areas.  We're going to be counting on all aspects of offense, more ground game and spreading targets.

We need a complete team to compete in playoffs, not just offense only.  We need to get more stops on defense/impact plays.  We ran out of guys on defense LY, and aging vets. 

It's time we re-stock at multiple spots, and I'd expect our next WR is WR4/5.  Even if you disagree, our top 4 receiving threats are now set between Kincaid/Coleman/Samuel/Shakir

SPECIAL TEAMS!   
Coleman can return punts! Yayy

Bishop can be Siran Neal yayy

Carter is a captain yayyy

Process. Culture.

Rolled in the playoffs

Bed time young one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not good enough. Not making any team sweat

True.

But does,

Rashee Rice

MVS

Mecole Hardman

Sky Moore

Kadarius Toney

Do they make teams sweat? I'm sure you see what I'm getting at.

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

True.

But does,

Rashee Rice

MVS

Mecole Hardman

Sky Moore

Kadarius Toney

Do they make teams sweat? I'm sure you see what I'm getting at.

Greatest TE & Maybe Greatest QB ever

nothing else needed. No one can stop that

Back to Back SB Champs….. 

I don’t see what you’re getting at.  

Edited by Warriorspikes51

• SDS unpinned this topic

they have neither the greatest qb or tight end ever.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

To me they are missing a real top end Pass rusher, A top end corner and they may have an issue at LG.

1) Booker at 95, or Hunt after small trade up from 95. Young guys to develop into that top-end while insulated in a rotational scheme.

B) Then you take Rakestraw at 60 instead of Bishop since it's a premium position and look for Hicks or Mustapha or Taylor-Demerson or Hampton or {insert here} R4. Or maybe Bishop is still there lol.

iii) Still think Anderson will play C with McFreeagent at LG. It'll be the Bills best 5.

Beane had the chance to fill exactly the holes you pointed out, and did not. That DT is a process-reach and i think that should be a term going forward.

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

And sometimes you don't: McCaffrey was my crush for 128, and what just sent me over the edge tonight was seeing him go at 100 after a pick I just hated. I see him as someone who can win at all levels, inside or outside, speed and shift and physicality and he goes to effing Harblaugh and the Stupor Chargers 5 picks after Beane takes Captain Intangibles with a premium Day 2 pick.

I don’t hate Carter at all. 

He’s not Boogie Basham, imo… he has a quick/sudden/violent push.   That alone will be useful in pass rush situations. 

Not saying you’re comparing them, but I’ve seen that around the board and Boogie was a tweener who had zero explosion.   Pick never made any sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Really? Because you said it yourself. Greatest TE & maybe QB. Also, a very good Defense.

True, we need more talent in the WR room

Point being is you're not gonna win championships with just an impressive WR corps.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I don’t hate Carter at all. 

He’s not Boogie Basham, imo… he has a quick/sudden/violent push.   That alone will be useful in pass rush situations. 

Not saying you’re comparing them, but I’ve seen that around the board and Boogie was a tweener who had zero explosion.   Pick never made any sense. 

Hoping like hell you're right. I was extremely wrong about Bernard, I had him as Kelvin Sheppard II except without the size. And what's more his first year validated me, a step too slow, a size too small, every time. Year 2, he goes off. I didn't see it coming. After so many spins around the sun I know there's vastly more things I don't know than things I know, but the things I know are still a burr in the saddle.

I kinda was gunning for the exact scenario Beane found himself in yesterday and today, with respect to trading back out of 28 (from a thread yesterday that's locked now):

"After a million mock drafts where I stayed at 28 and either politely chose the preferred remaining (5th or 6th) WR (usually Mitchell or Coleman back then) or chose an unexpectedly available 1st round prospect at OL or DL just because loud BPA value (usually one of the top OCs, DTs, or DEs)...I started to trade back out of 28, oftentimes more than once. If Franklin is a perfectly acceptable WR target, then he can be picked at the top of the 2nd while also gaining a late day-three, top-100 pick the NFL recently stole. Rosters are built on day two and early day three.

The 2024 1st rd draft trade scorecard is as follows:

Bills give 28, 133, 200, 248 (232 pts)

Bills get 33, 95, 141, 221 (237 pts)"

The trade above is REALLY close to what actually happened innit? Just replace Franklin with the previously mentioned Coleman and boom. That fastest-ever combine gauntlet is no joke. 2024's Puka Nacua. I just kept trading back into the top of the 2nd as draft day approached. Didn't see the organizational value in any other approach over a series of simulations. (Personally I actually wanted Worthy tbh, but not when I was wearing my draft nerd hat. Trading back was the ONLY path to satisfying whole draft results when I considered long term team-building and cap health. Needed that extra day two pick. Had to have it.)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

1) Booker at 95, or Hunt after small trade up from 95. Young guys to develop into that top-end while insulated in a rotational scheme.

B) Then you take Rakestraw at 60 instead of Bishop since it's a premium position and look for Hicks or Mustapha or Taylor-Demerson or Hampton or {insert here} R4. Or maybe Bishop is still there lol.

iii) Still think Anderson will play C with McFreeagent at LG. It'll be the Bills best 5.

Beane had the chance to fill exactly the holes you pointed out, and did not. That DT is a process-reach and i think that should be a term going forward.

Carter was not remotely a reach. If we took him at 60, it would have been a little high. But after all 7 DT's I had rated above him went from Picks 35 to 54 - I thought we'd have to take him at 60 if we wanted him. 

Getting him at 95 was not only not a reach, it was damn lucky given how Round 2 went. If you didn't have Carter on your radar and think he was a reach where we got him - you didn't do enough work on DT or him. He was pretty consistently the guy coming off the board next after Michael Hall Jr. amongst the guys I trust.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not trying to defend BB & McD, but who were the outside WR’s, the Bills should have selected, after they drafted Coleman?

McCaffrey or McMillan. Franklin, Tez, Baker and Rice were and still are options who'll come off the board in the 4th, probably before 128. I liked McCaffrey for X, he's still on the ascent being a recent position switch and just looks the part, his highlights reminded me of McConkey or maybe McLaurin (comparing Mcs to Mcs). After that, guys in the 5th onward who might still be in play to round out the receiver group as a dedicated X are Thrash, Flournoy, J Wilson, C Johnson, Means, maybe Coker.

Clearly the Bills just didn't have Mitchell on their board. I don't know that Coleman is a legit X, if he's Puka Nacua then he's a big slot on a team already with a top-2 best suited to slot/Z and a tight end often deployed that way. That's my concern. Who in the current group threatens the boundary, Shorter?