Bills interested in Deebo Samuel per Mike Giardi

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What rule are you referring to?

It was posted in this very thread, but since I'm guessing you won't scroll up to look at it:

All NFL teams must be salary cap compliant by March 13th.

It is now past March 13th.

The move would make the Bills, well....NOT cap compliant.

Ergo, it would not be possible for the Bills to trade for a WR who's salary exceeds Buffalo's available salary cap space.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

we’re not allowed to do anything per _____ expert TBD poster _______ 

The exact mechanism by which it is literally not possible for the Bills to trade for a WR whose salary cap number exceeds Buffalo's available cap space has been explained several times in this thread. You can flippantly dismiss the reality of the situation by jokingly referring those doing the explaining as "self proclaimed experts" all you want, but you can't change the reality of NFL salary cap rules. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Thank god. 

There are ALWAYS ways to get around the cap if you truly want a player.

It has been done before and it will be done again.

If Beane wants one of those guys and they can work on trade, it will be done. But who knows. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

Thank god. 

@Warriorspikes51 @GoBills808 So do we want to keep doing this for a while longer, or?

And before anyone points out the "nearly" part in that post: It refers to the (incredibly unlikely) possibility of the team we're trading with agreeing to pay the player's salary this year. For various reasons, that's simply not gonna happen.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

The exact mechanism by which it is literally not possible for the Bills to trade for a WR whose salary cap number exceeds Buffalo's available cap space has been explained several times in this thread. You can flippantly dismiss the reality of the situation by jokingly referring those doing the explaining as "self proclaimed experts" all you want, but you can't change the reality of NFL salary cap rules. 

Tangentially related to Deebo, as he's a different circumstance, but Greg Tompsett does think we have levers to pull (we'd have to pull a lot of them) but could get to where we need for Aiyuk without messing with Von's contract.  Involves a bunch of restructures, including restructures of brand new contracts for Dawkins and Johnson. 

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Unless they traded and resigned one of those players.   If they add years to the contract they can then backload it.  

I dont want Deebo but its not impossible. 

No. You cannot legally negotiate a new contract with a player until he is on your roster. You can not legally add him to your roster if doing so puts you over the cap for even a moment. There is no "hey, give us the day to work out a new deal with him once he's on our roster". That's not a thing. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Deebo is a powerhouse.  Would be thrilled picking him up.

He's a beast!!  And versatile.  And seems to break tackles frequently and great YAC.

he’s only broken 900 yards once and has never played a full season. NOPE!!!

1 minute ago, Logic said:

@Warriorspikes51 @GoBills808 So do we want to keep doing this for a while longer, or?

And before anyone points out the "nearly" part in that post: It refers to the (incredibly unlikely) possibility of the team we're trading with agreeing to pay the player's salary this year. For various reasons, that's simply not gonna happen.

“There’s no way we’re paying an extra $3M to have Diggs play elsewhere” energy

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

There are ALWAYS ways to get around the cap if you truly want a player.

It has been done before and it will be done again.

If Beane wants one of those guys and they can work on trade, it will be done. But who knows. 

Sure. In this instance, there is one -- and only one -- way. The team trading the player to us would have to agree to pay that player's salary, or at least enough of it to make the player's cap hit for the Bills less than their available salary cap space.

The 49ers are ALSO quite tight to the cap, with just over $6 million. Anyone think they want get super creative about finding a way to use all of their remaining cap space and hamstringing themselves to the point that they can't afford to sign their draft picks just to pay the salary of a traded-away player to help the Bills out, all in exchange for a 2nd round pick?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Hahah it takes a tweet from Field Yates for everyone to relax about trading for a high priced WR? 

I’ve been saying it non stop since the Diggs deal . It isn’t happening 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think Greg Thompsett showed where we can make it work for Aiyuk.  

Unfortunately since they executed the 5th year option, they are not allowed to convert his salary to bonus.

Although, it is technically possible the 49ers extend him and put low cap hit on 2024, but they'd be eating a lot of $$$s if he was immediately traded.

So Greg is correct that it's possible, but with some extreme/unlikely caveats

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Unless they traded and resigned one of those players.   If they add years to the contract they can then backload it.  

I dont want Deebo but its not impossible. 

I do believe the Bills would have to trade someone, though honestly because of Dead Cap and bonus money paid I'm not even sure that would work to find 15M of cap space

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

“There’s no way we’re paying an extra $3M to have Diggs play elsewhere” energy

Riddle me this: How are the 49ers -- themselves just $6million under the salary cap -- going to eat the amount of Deebo or Aiyuk's cap hit it would take to make this trade possible? Please, by all means, explain it to me.