Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

6 minutes ago, T master said:

I didn't mind him trading out of the first round with the Chiefs although i hope it don't wind up biting the Bills in the butt . The second trade down with the Panthers i kind of wish Beane wouldn't have done that trade & gotten Leggette but now it's to late for that .

I believe tonight Beane will get either McConkey or Mitchell or both seeing as they got 2 second round picks but i do like that he got a third round pick . 

Unless we trade back again, I think there is very little chance both our picks in round 2 are WRs.  BPA at 33 likely isn’t even a WR between DeJean, JPJ, Newton, and some others still on the board.  Doesn’t mean we won’t take one at 33, I’m just highly doubtful we use both on a WR when they can still get a promising WR in rounds 3 and 4 if they want to double dip.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Which is what Beane said.

Not quite what he said. He said it was the deal that made the most sense for the Bills. I actually took it as "we didn't want to go back that far." And I get that. You don't sabotage your own plan just to stop someone else.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Not quite what he said. He said it was the deal that made the most sense for the Bills. I actually took it as "we didn't want to go back that far." And I get that. You don't sabotage your own plan just to stop someone else.

In a follow up question, he said that KC offered the best deal.  

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d like to see the Bills use some of the later picks on vets, to move up or to move into next year’s draft. I don’t want the Bills drafting more than 6 guys. They just don’t have the roster space.

Beane is missing a 5th and 7th rounder in next year's draft.  I'm certain he will look to get them back on Saturday.

It would be great to deal off one of the lower round 5ths to a team not projected to be all that good for their 2025 5th and 7th.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

In a follow up question, he said that KC offered the best deal.  

The best deal might not mean the most compensation, that's my point. I think they had offers for more value but didn't want to move back too far because early 2nd is normally a WR frenzy. 

Dane Brugler's Rounds 2 and 3 mock has us taking:

Ad Mitchell, WR, Texas

Javon Bullard, S, Georgia

Malik Washington, WR, Virginia

I'd live with that for sure.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The best deal might not mean the most compensation, that's my point. I think they had offers for more value but didn't want to move back too far because early 2nd is normally a WR frenzy. 

Well...we'll never know.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

as a mets fan i found it very metsy.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What if one of the other teams calling wanted Worthy? It isn't definitely the case that the only way to keep him from KC was to pick him. And I'm not even that fussed by Worthy particularly. I think he is another WR2 and KC has Rice and Hollywood already that I think fit that criteria (Rice maybe a lower end #1 I suppose, let's see). It isn't about the outcome so much as the process to me. My principle is I'm not doing anything I think might help KC. 

I dunno Gunner.  That seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face" philosophy.  It's fan-think vs. professional-think.  JMO.

The fundamental issue here is really player evaluation.  Either the Bills were correct in their player evaluation of Xavier Worthy (in which case who cares that KC drafted him) or, they were fundamentally mistaken (in which case, who cares how KC managed to draft him, just that they did).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

The bills get taken advantage of by the smarter organizations, KC already duped them once who doesn't expect them to keep duping them every time?  KC is Buffalo's daddy as the kids say and until it isn't true, it's true.

• Agree 1

Just now, BillsfaninCT said:

The bills get taken advantage of by the smarter organizations, KC already duped them once who doesn't expect them to keep duping them every time?  KC is Buffalo's daddy as the kids say and until it isn't true, it's true.

How did KC take advantage of us yesterday?

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How do you not know Worthy still reaches KC if we don't trade with KC?  Would you rather take some draft capital AWAY from KC and they take Worthy...or let KC get to KEEP that extra draft capital and STILL get Worthy?

The only moronic thing here is that you don't seem to understand this fact that KC was getting Worthy regardless and we instead got their 3rd almost exactly replacing the one we used to trade for Rasul vs them still getting Worthy and keeping their 3rd. 

This fan base can be mind blowing on how they over react and don't see the bigger picture to things.  

What's moronic is failing to see how Beane mismanaging the receiver position put us in this position to begin with.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno Gunner.  That seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face" philosophy.  It's fan-think vs. professional-think.  JMO.

The fundamental issue here is really player evaluation.  Either the Bills were correct in their player evaluation of Xavier Worthy (in which case who cares that KC drafted him) or, they were fundamentally mistaken (in which case, who cares how KC managed to draft him, just that they did).

I disagree. I think the Worthy issue is only looking at the outcome. And I'm relatively relaxed about the outcome. It is the principle I question and I don't think that is fanspeak at all. It isn't cut off your nose to spite your face. It is about proper assessment of the risk. Is the risk of helping your biggest single barrier to success become an even bigger barrier to success worth the estimated value of your average 3rd round pick over your average 4th round pick? It being Worthy is kinda by the by to me. When they first traded up I actually thought "this could be a tackle" and I still didn't like it even then. Maybe they'd have got him anyway at #32. Maybe they'd have traded up to 29 or 30 or 31 and got him. Maybe another team would have traded in that kinda space and taken him. There are lots of total unknowns. But that is what you are trying to balance up in the moment. And personally with all that uncertainty I'd be take the more cautious approach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

There’s almost no way that this works out positively. Every TD pass thrown from the NFL’s best QB (who the Bills handed to KC) to the WR that holds the combine 40 record (who the Bills handed to KC) will be an emotional trauma. It will repeatedly churn up that Mahomes trade. 

After a big trade up for one of the top 3 WRs I honestly thought that our next best option was a trade back to acquire another meaningful pick in this year’s draft. But that couldn’t be with KC. This is devastating. 

who tf cares about the 40. the last guy to hold the record was awful. So was the guy before him

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

How did KC take advantage of us yesterday?

if championships is the basis of performance, they got the better receiver than we're going to get because so far the bills haven't won ***** and the chiefs have done a lot of winning the QB we gave them........ and so they took our WR also.    Veach is over there laughing "you think they're dumb enough to do it again?" maybe mcd owes reid some favors or something i don't know but fool me twice.

Edited by BillsfaninCT

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

if championships is the basis of performance, they got the better receiver than we're going to get because so far the bills haven't won ***** and the chiefs have done a lot of winning the QB we gave them........ and so they took our WR also.  

Do you really mean that? According to your logic, because the chiefs have won championships, every one of their moves must be better than every one of ours.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills didn't grade any of the WRs as 1st round. KC disagreed to the point of trading up to get their guy. I suspect all the QBs going so early made their guy available at 28 and they jumped on it.

The ESPN talking heads were puzzled by the Bills move, particularly with KC being the dance partner and both teams needing WR help. But Beane must think he can get 2 WRs in the 2nd that he likes at least as much as Worthy.  Many were/are calling KC the big winner of that trade, but that ultimately won't be decided for some time.  

I personally didn't like it last night, still not crazy about it.  If it wasn't KC, and if the whole Mahomes thing never happened, I might think differently.  But ultimately Beane could be right. Only time will tell.

7 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

if championships is the basis of performance, they got the better receiver than we're going to get because so far the bills haven't won ***** and the chiefs have done a lot of winning the QB we gave them........ and so they took our WR also.    Veach is over there laughing "you think they're dumb enough to do it again?" maybe mcd owes reid some favors or something i don't know but fool me twice.

Most KC fans I saw couldn't believe they traded up for a guy they could have easily gotten at 32.

Your response doesn't make much sense, imo.

• Like (+1) 2