Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

Never forget Coleman's fastest-ever combine gauntlet top speed (and how damned straight and crisp he ran it while snagging fastballs away from his frame). Puka Nacua vibes (owner of the 2nd fastest gauntlet top speed). I was afraid of his contested-catch red flags early in the process. His lack of separation. But even before his sneaky good, under-the-radar combine, I was starting to see something special in his play. Like he's potentially a better prospect than a Q. Johnston or an N'Keal Harry...

A lot of people here were clamoring for trading for Courtland Sutton.

Greg Cosell was on One Bills Live tonight with his Instant Reaction. Brownie asked about the Courtland Sutton comparison that's been out there. Cosell said Coleman is smoother than Sutton and obviously with better hands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm a bills fan 

I have no technical knowledge of professional football, and I wouldn't know the first thing about evaluating talent. 

But I'll read a couple things online, select what I'm looking for, and form a thought based off some mysteriously expert knowledge of things that should only be known by those that actually do it. 

Then I'll post it here:

Horrible pick ((insert puke emoji))

19 minutes ago, OldNMBillsFan said:

I Call BS, You did not join this site until 2021

So I was supposed to join the board in 1969 when I was 3?  I mean seriously, what does when I joined the board have anything to do when I became a Bills fan?

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Serious question; wasn't the biggest issues with our passing game the lack of explosive plays and receivers who could stretch the field?  How exactly does Coleman solve either of those issues?  

It doesn't, but they've managed to talk themselves into believing speed doesn't matter now.

Good, detailed video on Coleman. They bring up a proprietary PFF game speed metric that he scored in the 93rd percentile, so apparently he plays a lot faster than his 40 time suggests? That's what I took from that at least.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brand J said:

Surprised Owens ran a 4.63 at the combine, because he claimed “I can still run a 4.4” when he was in his 40s trying to get back in the league. There’s also a video out there where he runs a 4.38. Not sure how he could get .25 faster than his combine time, that’s a MAJOR difference. 

The training nowadays is vastly superior to 25-30 years ago 

A guy like to who is a workout warrior... It makes sense he can hit a 4.44 forty , even at an older age because it's more about explosion and acceleration 

Not pure top end speed 

With how good of shape he is In.. with modern work out techniques he still has great burst and acceleration in a track setting

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Never forget Coleman's fastest-ever combine gauntlet top speed (and how damned straight and crisp he ran it while snagging fastballs away from his frame). Puka Nacua vibes (owner of the 2nd fastest gauntlet top speed). I was afraid of his contested-catch red flags early in the process. His lack of separation. But even before his sneaky good, under-the-radar combine, I was starting to see something special in his play. Like he's potentially a better prospect than a Q. Johnston or an N'Keal Harry...

Yeah, I watched his gauntlet and it's very impressive how fast he moves in it and how the ball seems to stick in his mitts. All the stuff about separation is worrying,  I won't lie, but I do like his pure catching ability, size and strength, should be a good red zone target who can go up for jump balls against physical dbs 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Serious question; wasn't the biggest issues with our passing game the lack of explosive plays and receivers who could stretch the field?  How exactly does Coleman solve either of those issues?  At least he does catch TDs.

Samuel and Shakir are fast guys.  We also desperately needed an X receiver that can block, catch passes even when not open, be a redzone threat, and has great size.  Not much of those guys were available.

• Agree 2

We desperately need wr help after 456 years of not drafting a wr in the top 3 rounds and we enter the deepest Wr draft in decades.  We trade away a pick to the arch enemy who proceeds to draft the player that consensus would say Buffalo should have drafted.  You then proceed to trade away the again to a team that takes the next best option.  You then choose to draft a WR you probably could have got much later, and draft 2 defensive pieces.  We walk away with only Coleman in the deep wr pool.  Wow