Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

40 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Goofy ass sense of humor, plays golf, has a throw it up and I'll come down with it mentality/style of play, yeah this is 100% Josh's guy.

On the highlight tape - the hurdles LOL.  STOP THAT, BOTH OF YOU!  YOU BOYS STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!

12 hours ago, mannc said:

Mitchell had multiple red flags…otherwise he would not have lasted at long as he did. I’m guessing he was off Beane’s board entirely.

I guess this is where sometimes folks wonder if Beane and McDermott's focus on bringing in high-character fellows holds us back.

The Colts took some risks on high ceiling/big red flag guys in Mitchel and the Edge guy with the neck problems.  No Riskit, No Biscuit.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I'm rather amused at all the people who think Keon Coleman is slow. Dude plays at speed. He had the fastest speed of anyone during the gauntlet drill in the past 2 years at the combine, which reflects actual play speed much more than the 40 does. He was even faster than Puka Nacua last year.

Did anyone actually go and watch his 40? Dude's simply not a track star. He started slow because coming out of his stance, he popped up instead of bursting forward. If he had spent more time on the track with someone who knew what they were doing, and could help him with a better start out of his stance, spending time fixing an issue that in no way actually relates to football, he likely would have shaved AT LEAST 0.1 seconds off, likely more. And no one would be talking about him being slow. But they look at that number, decide he's slow, and ignore everything else, especially his play speed.

He LOOKS slow when he's running because his legs don't seem to be moving as fast as you're used to, but when he's trying to outrun people, his stride lengthens, and with his long legs, every one of his strides eats up distance, and he covers ground at a surprising rate.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

I'm rather amused at all the people who think Keon Coleman is slow. Dude plays at speed. He had the fastest speed of anyone during the gauntlet drill in the past 2 years at the combine, which reflects actual play speed much more than the 40 does. He was even faster than Puka Nacua last year.

Did anyone actually go and watch his 40? Dude's simply not a track star. He started slow because coming out of his stance, he popped up instead of bursting forward. If he had spent more time on the track with someone who knew what they were doing, and could help him with a better start out of his stance, spending time fixing an issue that in no way actually relates to football, he likely would have shaved AT LEAST 0.1 seconds off, likely more. And no one would be talking about him being slow. But they look at that number, decide he's slow, and ignore everything else, especially his play speed.

He LOOKS slow when he's running because his legs don't seem to be moving as fast as you're used to, but when he's trying to outrun people, his stride lengthens, and with his long legs, every one of his strides eats up distance, and he covers ground at a surprising rate.

It's like difference between Josh channeling Mose Schrute in his 40 at the combine vs what he actually does on the football field

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

My favorite part is where he asks the reporter where do you think I got it and the reporter says "Tom Izzo?" - the initial incredulousness on his face is gold - then he doubles down after "Nah.  Macy's" -  "What do you mean?"

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think the Bills need more speed outside at the receiver position. for that reason, I'm feeling a little disappointed.  I hope the Bills don't end up paying a price for that lack of speed.  

Samuel should be able to get down there pretty quickly. He’s a pro, and plug and play. Fingers crossed he stays healthy. 

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

that would be awesome. TO can run a 4.4 though. Maybe Keon could slightly increase his speed with training

Some people just don't run well until they're getting chased.

18 minutes ago, stevewin said:

My favorite part is where he asks the reporter where do you think I got it and the reporter says "Tom Izzo?" - the initial incredulousness on his face is gold - then he doubles down after "Nah.  Macy's" -  "What do you mean?"

If he likes winter clearance wait till he discovers Kohl's.

14 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Just watched his presser. Nothing not to like there. Actually, I loved it. Lucid dude. Quick thinker, quick talker. Handled the “big shoes to fill” question brilliantly. 

I LOVE YOU BEANE!!!! 

You can see why he clicked with Josh. He has that playful kid like demeanor to him. Super confident. Sort of a breath of fresh air to be honest. I don't recall a lot of Bills like him over the years.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

A Coleman Comparison

Keon Coleman (Combine) 6'3", 213, 321/8 arm, 9 3/8 hand, 4.61 40, 1.54 10, 38 vertical (drafted 33rd in 2024)

Tee Higgins (Pro day) 6'4", 216, 34 1/8 Arm, 9.25 hand; 4.54 40, 1.66 10, 31 Vertical (drafted 33rd in 2020)

Michael Pittman (Combine) 6'4", 223, 32.5 arm, 9.25 hand, 4.52, 1.51 10, 36.5 vertical (drafted 34th in 2020)

I would say Higgins and Pittman are pretty good comparisons to Coleman.  Hopefully he'll be as effective in the NFL. 

As a rookie for Cinn, Higgins had 67 catches on 108 targets for 908 and 6 TDs.   In the next 3 years (Tee was hurt much of this past season) he had about 2750 yards on 230 catches 18 TDS.

Pittman had 40 catches on 61 targets as a rookie for 503 yards and a TD.  In the 3 years since he has had over 3100 yards on nearly 300 catches with 14 TDS.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

You can see why he clicked with Josh. He has that playful kid like demeanor to him. Super confident. Sort of a breath of fresh air to be honest. I don't recall a lot of Bills like him over the years.  

Agreed. No more timid scaredy cats. Coleman is a very impressive looking human being for a 20 year old. Jesus. He seems very serious about his craft and winning. I’m going full homer here but I see that crazy focus, and cut the BS glare in his eyes. 

I like the personalities we are putting on the field. Dawson and Brown, Torrence, are demonstratively badasses. Coleman toughens up the WR group. It’s okay that Kincaid is a Cinderella type because Knox knocks. This new RB is supposed to be a mean man. Bernard obviously, the new safety,  Crazy Ed Oliver. Daquan. 

Can someone with a line to Beane get him to produce a brawler punter. That’d be huge. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

Right.  Josh Allen ran a 4.76.  Ask any of the DLmen or LB who've chased him around the back field or any of the LB or DB who've chased him down the field if they think he plays faster than that.

I've noticed that - Coleman looks slow and kind of lumbering when he runs and then you notice all the guys scurrying after him .  So we'll see what we'll see when he has 11 guys with NFL speed chasing him.

Article on 40 yd dash usefulness:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39632786/xavier-worthy-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash-becoming-obsolete

All of this is remarkable, considering the drill has all but lost its utility to front office personnel and data analysts around the league in the modern era.

The 40 is no longer the most effective way to determine a player's speed. The value it once had to teams has diminished in its 80-year existence, as clubs turn toward other means -- such as GPS tracking and analytical data -- to fully understand how fast a player can move in football specific situations.

It quotes one GM, Brandon Beane:

ULTIMATELY, TEAMS VALUE football specific information more than a breakneck 40 time.

"It's play speed, more for us. What am I watching when I'm at a game live?" Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane said. "Do you feel that guy's speed jump off when you're on the field? You can see it on tape, the guys that have it. I've seen guys that are 4.4, but they don't play 4.4, they play 4.5 because they're thinking too much or they just don't have a good feel for the game.

"And then I've seen guys play much faster than they run [in the drill]. They didn't train for it very well, but they play fast, they process and they're really good players. So again, I'm looking more at what do they look like in their pads playing the game, understanding all the concepts more than just, what is that true 40-yard time."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I like the personalities we are putting on the field. Dawson and Brown, Torrence, are demonstratively badasses. Coleman toughens up the WR group. It’s okay that Kincaid is a Cinderella type because Knox knocks. This new RB is supposed to be a mean man. Bernard obviously, the new safety,  Crazy Ed Oliver. Daquan. 

Lee Smith. Tommy Doyle. Tommy Sweeney. When he gets full run you'll see that Alec Anderson is the IOL version of Spencer Brown (who is legitimately hilarious)

One other note about Keon.

Coleman's 4.61 40-yard dash doesn't necessarily jump off the charts, but in the gauntlet drill at the NFL Combine, Coleman reached a top speed of 20.36 miles per hour – the fastest speed by a receiver over the last two seasons.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/buffalo-bills-select-fsu-wr-keon-coleman-with-no-33-overall-pick-2024-nfl-draft

The player 2nd on the list is Puca Nacua who hit 20.06.  He seems to do ok last season despite running 4.57 at his pro day.  Puka is 6'2 210 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Agreed. No more timid scaredy cats. Coleman is a very impressive looking human being for a 20 year old. Jesus. He seems very serious about his craft and winning. I’m going full homer here but I see that crazy focus, and cut the BS glare in his eyes. 

Can someone with a line to Beane get him to produce a brawler punter. That’d be huge. 

There's got to be some frustration from how his college season ended. Team manages to on an incredible run only to lose their starting QB with a couple games left, they still pull off a perfect regular season record but have to go against Georgia with the backup QB.

But here's the real kicker despite being undefeated your team doesn't get invited to the college football playoff, so essentially a bunch of the likely high picks on the team don't play and FSU gets stomped at the end of their undefeated season.

Edited by Warcodered

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

A Coleman Comparison

Keon Coleman (Combine) 6'3", 213, 321/8 arm, 9 3/8 hand, 4.61 40, 1.54 10, 38 vertical (drafted 33rd in 2024)

Tee Higgins (Pro day) 6'4", 216, 34 1/8 Arm, 9.25 hand; 4.54 40, 1.66 10, 31 Vertical (drafted 33rd in 2020)

Michael Pittman (Combine) 6'4", 223, 32.5 arm, 9.25 hand, 4.52, 1.51 10, 36.5 vertical (drafted 34th in 2020)

I would say Higgins and Pittman are pretty good comparisons to Coleman.  Hopefully he'll be as effective in the NFL. 

As a rookie for Cinn, Higgins had 67 catches on 108 targets for 908 and 6 TDs.   In the next 3 years (Tee was hurt much of this past season) he has had about 2750 yards on 230 catches 18 TDS.

Pittman had 40 catches on 61 targets as a rookie for 503 yards and a TD.  In the 3 years since he has had over 3100 yards on nearly 300 catches with 14 TDS.

The time to yardage ratio in speed is interesting to me.

Tee Higgins for example ran a 4.52 in the 40. Keon Coleman ran a 4.61. Yet when it came to the 10 yard split - Coleman ran it in 1.54 while Higgins ran it in 1.66.

Subsequently, everyone's favorite WR Troy Franklin beat them both in the 40 by a good percentage at 4.41. But getting up to that top speed takes him longer than it does Coleman as he ran his 10 yard in 1.61.

Some guys reach their top speed faster than others. Coleman while lacking in long end speed, he reaches that top speed quicker than both of them - which makes up for a lot, getting off the line quicker.

While he ran a slow 40 - he was the fastest Gauntlet and ran it EXTREMELY smooth:

Everyone's focusing on the 40. But there's much more to the story than that. His play speed is very good.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1