TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - Completed!

Virgil

With the 29th pick, The Detroit Lions select Troy Fautanu, G/T, Washington

Ready-made brawler without an ounce of finesse in his game. Fautanu has starting experience at tackle and guard and is well-coached.

“He comes from a good program and he’s a really hard-nosed player who can take coaching. Love the makeup.”- NFC national scout

@Allen2Moulds and the Ravens are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Ravens (Allen2Moulds) are on the clock

@Virgil Obviously you made the right move with the trade up because Thomas was going to go to the Steelers at 20, or to another team in a trade up…and Worthy and McConkey are also gone. So it would have been Franklin/Leggette/Coleman etc, or another trade down scenario. Nice work. 

It was also a win-win because I took the guy I likely would have taken at 19 at 28. 

Out of the 3 mock draft outcomes for Buffalo, this one is my favorite. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

25 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

With the 29th pick, The Detroit Lions select Troy Fautanu, G/T, Washington

Ready-made brawler without an ounce of finesse in his game. Fautanu has starting experience at tackle and guard and is well-coached.

“He comes from a good program and he’s a really hard-nosed player who can take coaching. Love the makeup.”- NFC national scout

@Allen2Moulds and the Ravens are on the clock.

Rich get richer. Detroit is in a good place as an organization. They have staying power.

Goff has emerged as a top QB too.

• Agree 1

With the 30th overall pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Baltimore Ravens select 6'8" behemoth tackle out of Oklahoma, Tyler Guyton.

Guyton is a very long athlete with quick feet. He already excells at pass pro, and although not where we want him to be as a run blocker, we feel that with experience and good catching, he has the chance to become one of the better tackles in the league.

@QLBillsFan and the SF 49ers, are on the clock.

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Final 3 picks resume tomorrow morning at 9am.  

@Allen2Moulds@QLBillsFan@section122

Sorry Virgil, ai was in the middle of posting when I saw this 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

@Virgil Obviously you made the right move with the trade up because Thomas was going to go to the Steelers at 20, or to another team in a trade up…and Worthy and McConkey are also gone. So it would have been Franklin/Leggette/Coleman etc, or another trade down scenario. Nice work. 

It was also a win-win because I took the guy I likely would have taken at 19 at 28. 

Out of the 3 mock draft outcomes for Buffalo, this one is my favorite. 

The Commanders had been attempting to move up since 16 to take Thomas. Kept missing out in the deals. The Bills jumped me for the guy I wanted all along. Was offering both 2nds next year to move up along with 40. Missed out on the deals. 

inatead of getting Thomas I did the next best thing. Took the best all around route runner and best speed guy in the draft. And spent about the same as I was planning on spending with Thomas. I thought about Franklin in one of the spots but nothing separated him from the others to me. He doesn’t have the speed of Worthy as far as being a mismatch on O, and doesn’t have the route running and ability to get open like McConkey to me. I thought teamed up with McClauren it worked nicely. If this draft continues to other rounds I would be spending a whole bunch on DL, OL in the next few picks. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mrags said:

The Commanders had been attempting to move up since 16 to take Thomas. Kept missing out in the deals. The Bills jumped me for the guy I wanted all along. Was offering both 2nds next year to move up along with 40. Missed out on the deals. 

inatead of getting Thomas I did the next best thing. Took the best all around route runner and best speed guy in the draft. And spent about the same as I was planning on spending with Thomas. I thought about Franklin in one of the spots but nothing separated him from the others to me. He doesn’t have the speed of Worthy as far as being a mismatch on O, and doesn’t have the route running and ability to get open like McConkey to me. I thought teamed up with McClauren it worked nicely. If this draft continues to other rounds I would be spending a whole bunch on DL, OL in the next few picks. 

Washington should absolutely come out of this draft as the big winners.  Anything less is a failure.  

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Washington should absolutely come out of this draft as the big winners.  Anything less is a failure.  

I’d be furious if I were a redskins fan.  Now I’d have 3 stud WRs (and a very good WR4-5’s) with no QB to throw to them….who has no OL to block for him and no pass rush to get the D off the field.  One year at a time I guess.  

I’ld probably feel the same way when the skins draft Daniels over Maye tomorrow night, but drafting 2 WRs and neglecting the OL and DL is reckless imo.  Especially with Troy Fautanu still on the board after already taking a WR 

all comes down to your opinion of the QBs. I wanted Josh Rosen. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d be furious if I were a redskins fan.  Now I’d have 3 stud WRs (and a very good WR4-5’s) with no QB to throw to them….who has no OL to block for him and no pass rush to get the D off the field.  One year at a time I guess.  

I’ld probably feel the same way when the skins draft Daniels over Maye tomorrow night, but drafting 2 WRs and neglecting the OL and DL is reckless imo.  

Im not talking about what mrags is doing - I’m just speculating - they have all the capital they need and couldn’t possibly be in a better spot to pull off an Aiyuk trade if they want to.  

Or Higgins. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not gonna lie. This is how I felt today. 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ld probably feel the same way when the skins draft Daniels over Maye tomorrow night, but drafting 2 WRs and neglecting the OL and DL is reckless imo.  

Might not be wrong. I have admitted in the past that I haven’t done a lot of work on the QBs. As a Bills fan we haven’t had a need to watch them for a while. Fact is, I could have had Pennix if I wanted him, that’s who the Raiders took, no?

I have weapons for the foreseeable future, and I still have 3 more picks in the next 37 picks and another 6 to back that up to move up more if needed. I also walk away with an extra 1st rounder next year which I’m pretty happy about. 

I’ll get 2-3 contributors out of the OL/DL in the rest of this draft (had it moved on) that I’d feel fine about. And if my QB didn’t show signs of progression throughout the season I wouldn’t hesitate to package him along with my 2 first rounders next year to move up for whoever is the next big thing. The Commanders will be ok. 

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Im not talking about what mrags is doing - I’m just speculating - they have all the capital they need and couldn’t possibly be in a better spot to pull off an Aiyuk trade if they want to.  

Or Higgins. 

Oh, I was talking about how great I am 

Edited by mrags
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Might not be wrong. I have admitted in the past that I haven’t done a lot of work on the QBs. As a Bills fan we haven’t had a need to watch them for a while. Fact is, I could have had Pennix if I wanted him, that’s who the Raiders took, no?

I have weapons for the foreseeable future, and I still have 3 more picks in the next 37 picks and another 6 to back that up to move up more if needed. I also walk away with an extra 1st rounder next year which I’m pretty happy about. 

I’ll get 2-3 contributors out of the OL/DL in the rest of this draft (had it moved on) that I’d feel fine about. And if my QB didn’t show signs of progression throughout the season I wouldn’t hesitate to package him along with my 2 first rounders next year to move up for whoever is the next big thing. The Commanders will be ok. 

I do like how you attacked this draft for sure.

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Nah, they’d just be hiring a new HC and drafting another QB in 2-3 years while never making the playoffs  😉 

like I said-  just a matter of opinion on the QB.  I like Maye and think passing on him will be a mistake.  I hope the pats pass on him or trade back if Wash takes Jayden

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The 49ers (QLBillsFan) are on the clock
38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Nah, they’d just be hiring a new HC and drafting another QB in 2-3 years while never making the playoffs  😉 

like I said-  just a matter of opinion on the QB.  I like Maye and think passing on him will be a mistake.  I hope the pats pass on him or trade back if Wash takes Jayden

Well. I’m the GM so I make the rules here. Like I said, if I don’t like what JJ shows me, I’ll make moves next year and with the ammo I have I could easily get back into the top few picks to do it. 

question, I know you like Maye, but had I taken Pennix, Worthy, McConkey, would you feel any better about it? 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mrags said:

Well. I’m the GM so I make the rules here. Like I said, if I don’t like what JJ shows me, I’ll make moves next year and with the ammo I have I could easily get back into the top few picks to do it. 

question, I know you like Maye, but had I taken Pennix, Worthy, McConkey, would you feel any better about it? 

No- for a few reasons:

I just think they’re going to blow their draft if they draft another QB other than Maye.  I also don’t think a QB needy team should ever trade away the ability to draft the best QB available in order to take a lesser QB.  

On top of that, I don’t like passing on Fashanu twice (to draft Wrs both times) when you already spent a 1st on Dotson 2 years ago and paid Mclaurin.  So much invested in one position (a position dependent on a good QB) while the OL and DL are barren wastelands of talent.  

if you think JJ = Maye (or Daniels) it’s an unbelievably good trade….and that’s certainly possible.  I just don’t believe that to be true.  I’m not a JJ believer, but I see why teams would draft him later in rd 1.  I love Mayes potential.

With the 31st pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Graham Barton, C-G Duke. Kansas City @section122 is on the clock. 
GM John Lynch gets no trade offers for BA. Several factors including his statement of wantingto keep the WR long term, the ASB huge deal at $30m and the high quality of WRs in this draft factor in.
The first round rush on OT’s with no first round grades remaining push the value down to the 2nd or 3rd round along with S with DeJean also gone. Barton brings great flexibility to the OL where he player both LT and C at Duke. Jon Feliciano had a good year and the aging Williams remains a pro bowler LT. But the rest of the line is average at best. Barton moves to C-G and immediately starts. The 49ers take the best player on their board at a position of need. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Chiefs (section122) are on the clock
2 hours ago, NewEra said:

No- for a few reasons:

I just think they’re going to blow their draft if they draft another QB other than Maye.  I also don’t think a QB needy team should ever trade away the ability to draft the best QB available in order to take a lesser QB.  

On top of that, I don’t like passing on Fashanu twice (to draft Wrs both times) when you already spent a 1st on Dotson 2 years ago and paid Mclaurin.  So much invested in one position (a position dependent on a good QB) while the OL and DL are barren wastelands of talent.  

if you think JJ = Maye (or Daniels) it’s an unbelievably good trade….and that’s certainly possible.  I just don’t believe that to be true.  I’m not a JJ believer, but I see why teams would draft him later in rd 1.  I love Mayes potential.

Well. Dotson hasn’t really shown anything special. We spent a 1st rounder on him but it’s been kind of a wasted pick at this point. 

We will throw multiple picks at the OL/DL in the next few rounds and have some real competition there. 

im not positive that JJ is the real answer, but I wasn’t positive Maye was either. And because of that I was able to extra picks for additional help that my team needs and will need. 6 picks in the top 76 will make the Commanders better in the long run. And if JJ is the answer, and he plays very well, next year we will be drafting 2 stud OL/DL in the first rd to assist him. If JJ isn’t the answer, we will likely be picking very early in the draft next year and have the extra 1st rounder to get to any QB we like. This isn’t a 1 year we’re going to be contenders, this is the long play at acquiring talent and building on that. 

With the last and final pick of round 1 at 32 the KC Chiefs select Nate Wiggins CB Clemson. 

He will slip right in and replace L'Jarius Sneed. Although Newton is rated higher, I think him playing the same position as Chris Jones leads me to my pick.

As the best man-coverage cornerback in this draft class, Wiggins is a perfect fit for Kansas City. It’s true: he doesn’t have the size that most Chiefs cornerbacks have — but neither did Trent McDuffie. While McDuffie has more weight and density, Wiggins is longer — and should profile better as an outside cornerback. And like McDuffie, Wiggins’s film shows an unexpected level of physicality and strength.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/3/21/24104248/chiefs-draft-clemson-nate-wiggins-man-coverage#:~:text=As the best man-coverage,better as an outside cornerback.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Well. Dotson hasn’t really shown anything special. We spent a 1st rounder on him but it’s been kind of a wasted pick at this point. 

We will throw multiple picks at the OL/DL in the next few rounds and have some real competition there. 

im not positive that JJ is the real answer, but I wasn’t positive Maye was either. And because of that I was able to extra picks for additional help that my team needs and will need. 6 picks in the top 76 will make the Commanders better in the long run. And if JJ is the answer, and he plays very well, next year we will be drafting 2 stud OL/DL in the first rd to assist him. If JJ isn’t the answer, we will likely be picking very early in the draft next year and have the extra 1st rounder to get to any QB we like. This isn’t a 1 year we’re going to be contenders, this is the long play at acquiring talent and building on that. 

I hear ya on all of that.  Although I do think Dotson could still be a solid WR3.  Not sure if his lack of production is solely based on his talent.  

Other than passing on Fautanu for another WR, it all comes down to believing in Maye or not.  You don’t believe, so the trade makes sense.  I do, so it doesn’t to me.  You got a good haul of picks though.  

Edited by NewEra

Just now, NewEra said:

I hear ya on all of that.  Although I do think Dotson could still be a solid WR3.  Not sure if his lack of production is solely based on his talent.  

mall comes down to believing in Maye or not.  You don’t, so the trade makes sense.  I do, so it doesn’t 

Yeah I had higher hopes for Dotson as well and believe if he was on a team like Buffalo he would be much more highly regarded. Imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - Completed!

That's a wrap folks!

Thank you to everyone who participated in each of the mocks, it was great.  Happy to get all 3 done with time to spare.  

Enjoy the real draft!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

That's a wrap folks!

Thank you to everyone who participated in each of the mocks, it was great.  Happy to get all 3 done with time to spare.  

Enjoy the real draft!

Great job, as always. Thanks for running this, @Virgil! You earn every penny @SDS is paying you!

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's what Scott told me when he raised my TBD subscription rate to $15/month! He better be paying you!

You’re only paying $15? He told me $25

• Haha (+1) 2

On 4/22/2024 at 9:37 AM, Virgil said:

19-   LA Rams (875) - MrEpsYtown *Traded* Bills - TSW Poll - Brian Thomas Jr, WR, LSU

20-   Pittsburgh (850) - Big Blitz *Traded* Cardinals - GunnerBill - Quinyon Mitchell, DB, Toledo

21-   Miami (800) - Alphadawg7 -  Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

22-   Philadelphia (780) - stinky finger - Terrion Arnold, DB, Alabama

23-    Minnesota (760) - H2o - Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

24-   Dallas (740) - Might Rather - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon

25-   Green Bay (720) - Virgil - Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa

26-   Tampa Bay (700) - RyanC883 *Traded* Washington - mrags - Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

27-   Arizona (680) - GunnerBill *Traded* Pittsburgh - Big Blitz *Traded* Washington - mrags - Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

28-   Buffalo (660) - TSW Poll *Traded* Rams - MrEpsYtown - Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn St

29-   Detroit (640) - frostbitmic - Troy Fautanu, OL, Washington

30-   Baltimore (620) - Allen2Moulds - Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma

31-   San Francisco (600) - QLBillsFan - Graham Barton, IOL, Duke

32-   Kansas City (590) - section122 - Nate Wiggins, DB, Clemson

Trades:

The Broncos are trading 2024 #12, #76, #121, #136, #147, 2025 #1, 2025 #2 to the Commanders for 2024 #2

The Commanders are trading #12, #100, and #121 to the Bears for #9

The Bills are trading #28, #163, and 2025 2nd Rounder (From Vikings) to the Rams for #19

I just wanna say I really like this trade for the Bills.  I think it's fair value for both parties

If we're going to trade up, this is the sort of trade up I'd like to see.

And I don't know much about Brian Thomas Jr but I like his draft profile.

Virgil, once again, a big salute for all the work you put in year after year to do these. 

SALute!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

That's a wrap folks!

Enjoy the real draft!

And what did we learn?

A trade down into the 2nd: not ideal

Stay put at 28: ok

Slight trade up to get top value: even better

That sound about right?

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And what did we learn?

A trade down into the 2nd: not ideal

Stay put at 28: ok

Slight trade up to get top value: even better

That sound about right?

Honestly, I was fine with all 3.  The trade back didn't both me and I liked both guys we walked away with, plus the extra 3rd.  In all scenarios, the receivers available at 28 were decent enough.  If anything, I'd maybe argue the trade up wasn't worth it, unless you really love Thomas

• Like (+1) 2