Lance Zierlein: Bills should draft 2 WR in the first 3 rounds

3 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

It looks like 60 isn’t ideal for wr unless a tier 3 guy slips to there which is possible but not likely (Legette, Franklin, Coleman, Polk). 60 is also too early for the 4th tier, Walker, baker, Florida guy, Michigan guy 

but, 60 does look like a really good spot for a DT or DE

Idk I think all the DTs I like are most likely gone, but a dark horse for me would be IOL. The guard from Kentucky comes to mind.

6 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

It looks like 60 isn’t ideal for wr unless a tier 3 guy slips to there which is possible but not likely (Legette, Franklin, Coleman, Polk). 60 is also too early for the 4th tier, Walker, baker, Florida guy, Michigan guy 

but, 60 does look like a really good spot for a DT or DE

And Mcbeane wants /needs both of those at some point. Earlier

Get the best WR you can and then take what falls.

I am getting more on board with trading next years second to lock down a WR who will affect the game day one.

Who that is , I wont profess to surmise. But I have my druthers  :)

17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

And Mcbeane wants /needs both of those at some point. Earlier

Get the best WR you can and then take what falls.

I am getting more on board with trading next years second to lock down a WR who will affect the game day one.

Who that is , I wont profess to surmise. But I have my druthers  :)

Agreed - my dream senario is Thomas jr (small trade up in rd 1) then pass at 40 (if he makes it there??) using pick 60 and a 2nd next year. You’d have two 2024 difference makers. Fill in the holes with 128, 133 and the other 6 picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yeah 60 is a bad spot for pretty much all our need positions except safety and although not a huge need IOL. 

28 isn’t that appealing either if the sole aim is WR.  Assuming that the smoke around Mitchell as not taking coaching well is true, they won’t take him.  They can find a good complementary WR there, but probably not a guy who is the “go to”.  I don’t understand the apparent interest in Troy Franklin, but at least he is a deep threat.  I am a little leery of Legette, but I think I would prefer him over Franklin.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:45 PM, Virgil said:

Can someone please walk me through this desire two use to high picks on a wide receiver?  We currently have 4 pass catchers we are comfortable with, and opportunities at other positions.  I am fully on board with receiver in the first two rounds, but only the one.  Who is this second receiver going to replace on the field.   1st rounder, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox. You could also argue Shorter gets a crack.  

I’d much rather see us try to get someone that can push for the FS, RG, HB2, and DL depth than a 6th pass catcher 

Totally agree Virg.  We need Verse, Latu or Chops to pressure Mahomey. We’re not getting elite WR at 28, but we can get Legette or Coleman in 2nd.  I see Shakir, Samuels and Shorter getting 500+ each.

19 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I would love to get Mitchell at 28 and Ladd at 40 (trade up with 60 and a 2025 2nd). 

with no trades, Ladd at 28 and see who’s left at 60. Walker certainly will be, as will Baker, but maybe Legette, Franklin or Polk slides to 60. 

either of these senarios would give us a better wr group than any in recent memory. Out other needs (DE, S, DT, OL) can be filled with out multiple 4th, 5th and 6th round picks 

I'm no pro but been following draft for over 25yrs . I don't know why the hype for Baker to me he's a late 3rd or 4th Rd pk. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:27 PM, SCBills said:

This, obviously, makes all the sense in the world unless Beane has inside knowledge of WR’s shaking free post 6/1 with Tre’s $$ freeing up.

Its maddening to see some of our social media savvy Bills commentators pretend like this shouldn’t be the case. 

We all thought we needed an early round investment WR before we traded Diggs.  Now we’ve lost both our outside guys and unless one believes Shakir can consistently win out there, are left with literally Mack Hollins and Justin Shorter.. ideally our WR5 and WR6. 

We need two legitimate outside WR’s.. or at least guys who can win outside.. to just have an offense that makes any sense. 

We do have two TEs who can play inside and outside and also a RB who can catch the ball from anywhere on the field.  The guys who were most productive last season were Cook, Kincaid and Shakir and they are still forming the core of your group

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

We do have two TEs who can play inside and outside and also a RB who can catch the ball from anywhere on the field.  The guys who were most productive last season were Cook, Kincaid and Shakir and they are still forming the core of your group

None of that is remotely akin to what a boundary receiver means to a fully functioning offense, or a replacement for what a vertical threat WR means. The Bills need two, and they are going to invest an early pick, and possibly draft capital in a trade to fill the void. 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:04 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Drafting two WR with first three picks is perfectly fine with me. Or using one of the picks to aquire a guy in a trade is fine as well. 

Get an edge with the other pick and a safety early on day 3. 

I'd be fine if they traded multiple day 3 picks to get back into the third round. 

There is probably only 4-5 roster spots up for grabs at this point. 6 if you add another punter.  2 WR, Edge, S, CB  and P. You can trade all the other picks away becuase they either aren't making the team or you can find a LB or CB in UDFA to play Teams. 

Excuse me? Did you not notice all the guys under contract let go and the free agents that signed elsewhere?  

There are only 28 players left from last season.  There are a lot of holes to fill.

20 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Excuse me? Did you not notice all the guys under contract let go and the free agents that signed elsewhere?  

There are only 28 players left from last season.  There are a lot of holes to fill.

That’s why I think a modest trade down into early second picking up some extra mid round picks might be the smart play if there is a willing partner. If a team covets a QB Penix is a prime target at 28 and they can still get Legette or McConkey in the early 2nd.  

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Bills have 49 guys under contract now. 48 really when you consider they have two punters on the team.

They lost starters at safety x 2, wr x2, edge, and center. Every other starter returned and they get Milano back from injury. They already filled one of the WR spots and 1 safety spot in FA. They filled Center and 1 safety spot internally.  They signed a few special teams level guys and some guys like Collins that will be long shots to make the final 53.

They absolutely need a starter at WR. They need an edge that will play significant snaps and hopefully will be better than AJE. They need a backup RB, a rotational DT, and a safety #3. I don't care much about the position but they also need a punter returner. They probably will add another WR or a CB that has some return ability late in the draft. 

Also they will have a little more FA money after June 1st for a couple more depth guys. 

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2024 at 1:45 PM, Virgil said:

Can someone please walk me through this desire two use to high picks on a wide receiver?  

I can't.  In a year where there is a deep WR pool and a need to fill out the roster with more young players, the desire to spend 2025 1st round value for 2nd round return this year is strong in many. WR is being thought of like QB.  The concerns at IOL, edge, and safety can't be ignored.

• Like (+1) 1