Media Day at OBD (Beane, McDermott, Josh & more)

Process

19 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Exactly this^. I listen to joe marinos podcast and a lot of his talks are about BB trading back.

Just seems to be a waste of time talking about it a lot, as history has shown time after time he is probably going to trade up a few spots to get one of his first round graded players.

In 2022, Beane did trade back twice, from 57 to 60 and then 60 to 63, before drafting James Cook

So it's not as though he's never traded back.

38 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I like Beane .. But I think by his standards he has made a few bad calls over the past 2 years … perhaps he is feeling a bit of heat .. or it’s just the demands he puts on himself ..

I think that is what it is.  It's the business side of things.   He had to say goodbye to a lot of players that he specifically brought in to build a roster that could win a Superbowl.   Last year he built a team with a great deal of depth.  Draft picks were poached by other teams...and are starters that couldn't make the Bills team last year.   He stretched the Cap to its maximum in the process.  Then with all of the injuries, that depth was tested...and the Bills fell short once more.  So...this year he had to pay the piper and release players that I believe he truly loved and appreciated.  He needs to retool the roster with a draft class that is lacking in a number of areas.  And the league moved the goalpost for compensatory picks, leaving the Bills without a 3rd round pick in a draft where he really was counting on one.  He has a big task ahead and he's a perfectionist when it comes to his work.  He does not want to let the team, the owner, the coaching staff or the fans down.  So...the strain is there.

22 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

2022 draft the move definitely would have been to trade back and take two day 2 swings at CB rather than trade up and force it for Elam (and still take Benford in 6th!)

Could have gone Cam Taylor Britt with the trade back 2nd rounder, kept the 4th and taken Tariq Woolen, and taken Benford as a CB with potential to move over to safety. We'd be rich in CB's right now...

This is about as loaded of a WR draft as that draft was at CB, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to trade back a little and take two on day 2 and another sleeper value on day 3 (Jalen Coker type)

Hind sight is 20-20.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Did you watch Josh's interview by any chance?

He was asked about losing so many captains and what guys he thought would step up and be looked to as the next leaders

He said he thinks guys who work hard and specifically go the extra bit are the ones who other guys naturally follow.  He specifically called out Dion Dawkins and Spencer Brown as two examples.

When someone asked him what it takes to be a leader for the team the last thing he said was, "Someone who doesn't care who is scoring or getting the ball, just as long as we are winning."

I love him for saying that!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

For sure. But you can learn from history. It doesn't typically repeat itself, but it often rhymes

I agree.  Britt and Woolen certainly played well even as rookies.  The jury still isn't out on Elam though.  I think with the changes in the Bills secondary, Elam will get a real chance this year to prove his worth.  

19 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

When someone asked him what it takes to be a leader for the team the last thing he said was, "Someone who doesn't care who is scoring or getting the ball, just as long as we are winning."

I also thought it was interesting that when the media asked him about whether it amounted to playing with a "second team", he specifically mentioned that he's been with Micah and Po "since I've been here, right?" and that losing them was going to hurt as far as being able to come in and talk to them not just about football but about life.  Further in, asked about transitioning from Mitch Morse at C josh said "I love Mitch with every ounce of my being, he's one of the greatest dudes in the entire world, I truly mean that, and I think if you talk with anyone else they'd say the same.  A lot of wisdom that he had, I wish him nothing but the best in Jacksonville.  I got to spend a little bit of time with him the last couple of weeks, gonna miss him for sure." Near the end, when asked about Micah's charity softball tournament he said the same thing about Hyde that he was "one of the premier humans on this planet; his heart is always in the right place" and "he's meant so much to me and my career here, just being someone I could lean on, someone I could talk to, someone I could vent to, I hope he would say the same about me and I cherish our friendship."

1) I thought it was interesting - Tre' White has been here longer than Josh as well, but he didn't mention him in the same way

2) Josh came across as well-prepared to be asked about Diggs, but the things he did say - about "my lasting memory of Stef will be the receiver who helped me become the QB that I am today, and I'll always thank him for that" - didn't come across with nearly the same genuineness or intensity as what he said about Morse or Hyde or Po.

For the "Josh doesn't work in the offseason" crowd, at about 6:30 in Josh talks about how he's "gotten some PT work the last couple months, making sure I'm staying on top of that and making sure my body is in the best shape it can be"  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I'm talking about In the first round

I understand! 

My point is that it shows Beane is willing to trade back if the circumstances are right.   He said he had a great trade-back he really liked on tap if it hadn't worked out to get Dalton Kincaid.  

Clearly he has a track record of trading up in the 1st round - I spelled it all out here.   TL;DR in the last 5 years, he's traded up 2x, stood pat 2x, and swapped for a player (Diggs) once.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I also thought it was interesting that when the media asked him about whether it amounted to playing with a "second team", he specifically mentioned that he's been with Micah and Po "since I've been here, right?" and that losing them was going to hurt as far as being able to come in and talk to them not just about football but about life.  Further in, asked about transitioning from Mitch Morse at C josh said "I love Mitch with every ounce of my being, he's one of the greatest dudes in the entire world, I truly mean that, and I think if you talk with anyone else they'd say the same.  A lot of wisdom that he had, I wish him nothing but the best in Jacksonville.  I got to spend a little bit of time with him the last couple of weeks, gonna miss him for sure." Near the end, when asked about Micah's charity softball tournament he said the same thing about Hyde that he was "one of the premier humans on this planet; his heart is always in the right place" and "he's meant so much to me and my career here, just being someone I could lean on, someone I could talk to, someone I could vent to, I hope he would say the same about me and I cherish our friendship."

1) I thought it was interesting - Tre' White has been here longer than Josh as well, but he didn't mention him in the same way

2) Josh came across as well-prepared to be asked about Diggs, but the things he did say - about "my lasting memory of Stef will be the receiver who helped me become the QB that I am today, and I'll always thank him for that" - didn't come across with nearly the same genuineness or intensity as what he said about Morse or Hyde or Po.

For the "Josh doesn't work in the offseason" crowd, at about 6:30 in Josh talks about how he's "gotten some PT work the last couple months, making sure I'm staying on top of that and making sure my body is in the best shape it can be"  

It was really a solid interview.  Josh is such a genuine guy.  He gives credit where credit is due and clearly has an affection for his team mates.  At the same time, he mentioned that he trusts Beane with bringing in the best players for the team and acknowledges his coaches...particularly Brady...for what he is learning.  Class and humility all the way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I understand! 

My point is that it shows Beane is willing to trade back if the circumstances are right.   He said he had a great trade-back he really liked on tap if it hadn't worked out to get Dalton Kincaid.  

Clearly he has a track record of trading up in the 1st round - I spelled it all out here.   TL;DR in the last 5 years, he's traded up 2x, stood pat 2x, and swapped for a player (Diggs) once.

Im hoping he trades down this year..partly because I agree it’s a myth that he won’t do it … so would be good to put that to bed 

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I understand! 

Fair points.

i guess until I see it, I won't put too much realistic thought into it.

But you raise fair points 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

To me it seems like Beane isn’t his normal self this offseason. Seems a little down.

LOL.  I would think Brandon Beane would look forward to a pre-draft media session with all the enthusiasm a gentleman brings to his annual prostate exam.

He knew he was going to get barbequed about trading away Diggs, and really, what can he say?  "We might trade up, or we might trade back, or we might stand pat.  I cant tell you."  "We don't expect to trade the pick we got for Diggs, but I can't tell you we won't"  

It's like the Tolkein quote "Go not to the Elves for council, for they will say both No and Yes".  I expected to see Beane's ears elongate up and grow pointy as he spoke.

He's also very careful about what he says.  "I haven't called".  That doesn't exclude discussions during the Combine or Sr Bowl or NFL Meetings, does it? 

I'd bet Beane knows very well what it would take to move up into the top 10 slots, despite not calling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I also thought it was telling that when asked if he’d spoken to Stef since the move, he discussed a one text/one response exchange, which, even though he described it as cordial, one can’t help but think if they were still tight it would’ve been at least an actual phone call(s) 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Our ESPN reporter Alaina Getzenbirg piece on Josh's presser

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39970133/bills-josh-allen-thanks-departed-stefon-diggs-hard-work

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I also thought it was telling that when asked if he’d spoken to Stef since the move, he discussed a one text/one response exchange, which, even though he described it as cordial, one can’t help but think if they were still tight it would’ve been at least an actual phone call(s) 🤷🏼‍♂️

I dunno.  My kid, who is a bit younger than Josh and Stef, seems to very rarely make actual phone calls and prefer to do everything by text or DM

So I wouldn't read too much into "text vs phone call", but I think it's been pretty clear for some time, for other reasons, that they haven't been tight.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Process said:

Did the details for Collins contract ever get released? I know it was up to $6M, which is certainly not backup money. 

Yeah, it must be $6M only with unpublicized incentives.  Salary is $1.21M, $1.5M cap hit, but fully guaranteed.  It's basically backup money.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lael-collins-17403/

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

2022 draft the move definitely would have been to trade back and take two day 2 swings at CB rather than trade up and force it for Elam (and still take Benford in 6th!)

Could have gone Cam Taylor Britt with the trade back 2nd rounder, kept the 4th and taken Tariq Woolen, and taken Benford as a CB with potential to move over to safety. We'd be rich in CB's right now...

This is about as loaded of a WR draft as that draft was at CB, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to trade back a little and take two on day 2 and another sleeper value on day 3 (Jalen Coker type)

Looking at a draft board in retrospect and saying 'This is what they should have done...' is about as fruitless as moaning about the girls you didn't ask out in high school.

22 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Now is the time for big game hunting.   I'd give it a 60% chance we get one of the top 4 WR's 

There are 3 top receivers and then everyone else. Getting someone in the top 4 isn't worth a trade up if you're getting the 4th guy.