NFL draft rumors 2024

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This would remove Mitchell from the Bills board I believe.

If they take him off the board for this they are complete fools.

He's a young guy who is likely still learning to control his blood sugar. He'll have access to top of the line world class dieticians and medical staff. So every great once in a while his sugar may get low and he has a bad morning. If a professional coaching staff can't handle and regulate that that's pretty pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He's a young guy who is likely still learning to control his blood sugar. He'll have access to top of the line world class dieticians and medical staff. So every great once in a while his sugar may get low and he has a bad morning. If a professional coaching staff can't handle and regulate that that's pretty pathetic.

What if he has a crash in the 4th quarter of a critical game though and suddenly you can't use your top weapon on a potential game winning drive? It's that more than anything else that would make me fidgety about drafting someone with type 1 diabetes in the first round. Yes, you can have the best dieticians, you can come up with plans, you can try and manage but in a sport where you then have to go 3 and a half hours on a Sunday and monitor and control constantly in that time.... I dunno. Would concern me. Wouldn't take him off the board but would likely make me drop him a bit if I was a GM.  

• Agree 5

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What if he has a crash in the 4th quarter of a critical game though and suddenly you can't use your top weapon on a potential game winning drive? It's that more than anything else that would make me fidgety about drafting someone with type 1 diabetes in the first round. Yes, you can have the best dieticians, you can come up with plans, you can try and manage but in a sport where you then have to go 3 and a half hours on a Sunday and monitor and control constantly in that time.... I dunno. Would concern me. Wouldn't take him off the board but would likely make me drop him a bit if I was a GM.  

And what if we draft someone else and they get dehydrated? Get a migraine? Sudden onset diarrhea? Stuff happens.

Wonder how nervous the Ravens are about that happening with Mark Andrews during a critical spot in a game. It's manageable. Yeah, there's extra steps but I would expect a professional medical staff would be out in front of it instead of being reactionary. If as a team you have to take a kid with this talent off your board or drop them way down then it's maybe time to reevaluate how good of a staff you employ.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If I am buying a million dollar super car I am not going to excuse the factor of it having just 1 defect.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And what if we draft someone else and they get dehydrated? Get a migraine? Sudden onset diarrhea? Stuff happens.

Wonder how nervous the Ravens are about that happening with Mark Andrews during a critical spot in a game. It's manageable. Yeah, there's extra steps but I would expect a professional medical staff would be out in front of it instead of being reactionary. If as a team you have to take a kid with this talent off your board or drop them way down then it's maybe time to reevaluate how good of a staff you employ.

Some trainer is going to have the job of making sure he eats a banana or orange after every quarter and drinks a smoothie at halftime. He may drop a bit, but not far. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

If I am buying a million dollar super car I am not going to excuse the factor of it having just 1 defect.

Being this isn't a car but a human being, literally every player being drafted has some kind of defect or flaw. Just because it hasn't made the draft gossip list yet doesn't mean it's not there or known in the draft room. The key is finding a guy with the flaw you can manage. Type 1 is very manageable.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Some trainer is going to have the job of making sure he eats a banana or orange after every quarter and drinks a smoothie at halftime. He may drop a bit, but not far. 

Exactly. It's manageable. Just have to see what works for his body. To me this reeks of one of those "concerns" on a guy leading up to the draft that we see every year. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Something has to give right? I can’t see the Bills depending on a 2nd round WR prospect to replace Diggs, which is what we’ll draft at 28.

It’s really fascinating to me. 

I think if they stick at #28, Beane ought to take McConkey. Then trade up in the second to secure Legette, presuming he doesn't sneak into the first round. McConkey is a top 5 or 6 WR, imo, and I think he can be a volume WR his first year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agreed. And after this report I would talk to a damn good labor lawyer. Him dropping because of this could be an ADA suit.

You can't discriminate based on a disability.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think if they stick at #28, Beane ought to take McConkey. Then trade up in the second to secure Legette, presuming he doesn't sneak into the first round. McConkey is a top 5 or 6 WR, imo, and I think he can be a volume WR his first year.

If Ladd McConkey goes to KC, it's gonna be hell for anyone's defense.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Murphy isn't bigger though. He is shorter, lighter and has the same length arms as Newton (both just under 33"). They are slightly different shapes, Newton's weight is distributed a bit more evenly whereas Murphy has a thick lower half and I know some teams care about that but they are both technically undersized.... although actually you look at the 3Ts getting drafted early in NFL drafts these days.... I mean they are all kinda in this size range.

He’s not lighter when it comes to playing weight. Murphy played at 308 and Newton at 295. Just because Newton packed on nearly 20 pounds for the draft process doesn’t mean they play at the same size. I highly doubt the Illinois website would me undersell Newtons weight like they do height for skill players 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree with this. Question is how far up can they get?...and what would it take?

4 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I agree with this. Question is how far up can they get?...and what would it take?

I think you'd have to count on spending a 2025 second. I think that could get you around pick #40.

Edited by Dr. Who

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you'd have to count on spending a 2025 second. I think that could get you around pick #40.

I have a hard time seeing him making it to 40. I struggle with the question of would it be better to get the big guy first and maybe then try for a Wilson or Pearsall? I think it would be a miracle to get Ladd and Legette.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I have a hard time seeing him making it to 40. I struggle with the question of would it be better to get the big guy first and maybe then try for a Wilson or Pearsall? I think it would be a miracle to get Ladd and Legette.

I think McConkey is significantly better than Wilson, and better than Pearsall. My feeling is you could make an argument for Mitchell and certainly for Thomas, but you'd have to trade up for him. If the stipulation is you start by staying at #28, I like McConkey, then try to get the big fella WR in the second. Maybe it costs you more than the second, if you need to get above #40 for Legette. Someone like Walker would be my fallback if I miss out on Legette. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Being this isn't a car but a human being, literally every player being drafted has some kind of defect or flaw. Just because it hasn't made the draft gossip list yet doesn't mean it's not there or known in the draft room. The key is finding a guy with the flaw you can manage. Type 1 is very manageable.

Exactly. It's manageable. Just have to see what works for his body. To me this reeks of one of those "concerns" on a guy leading up to the draft that we see every year. 

it's a business. he is no different than a sports car.

and these players go through tons of reviews to find every defect. it is one thing to draft a player with poor wingspan. it's a boneheaded move to buy a player who is facing a lifelong struggle and likely to impact his career.

you can say i am crude, crass, lack empathy... but would you want a 5' QB playing? would you be cool with a 340# QB? would you like your kicker to be missing an arm? what about a linebacker who had their colon removed?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This would remove Mitchell from the Bills board I believe.

I don’t know if it would definitely remove him from our board but it’s certainly interesting.

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

it's a business. he is no different than a sports car.

and these players go through tons of reviews to find every defect. it is one thing to draft a player with poor wingspan. it's a boneheaded move to buy a player who is facing a lifelong struggle and likely to impact his career.

you can say i am crude, crass, lack empathy... but would you want a 5' QB playing? would you be cool with a 340# QB? would you like your kicker to be missing an arm? what about a linebacker who had their colon removed?

Comparing someone with Type 1 diabetes to the extremes that you list... including being an amputee... doesn't make you crude, crass or lack empathy. It makes you seem rather ignorant in the management of diabetes. Not all disability is the same.

But to further answer your question...that 5' or 340lb QB...what's their tape look like? That kicker that has 1 arm...how's his leg and what effect has having 1 arm had on his ability to put the ball through the uprights? Do you have any context for any of your far fetched hairbrained scenarios....or are you just flat out saying that anyone that doesn't have A1 medicals and isn't typical is less than? 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Trade up to 17. 

(Projected trade: Bills trade picks Nos. 28, 133, 144 and a 2025 second-rounder to the Jaguars for No. 17.)

We land:

1st: WR Brian Thomas Jr

2nd: S Cole Bishop

4th: WR Javon Baker

A safety in the 2nd is too high.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Comparing someone with Type 1 diabetes to the extremes that you list... including being an amputee... doesn't make you crude, crass or lack empathy. It makes you seem rather ignorant in the management of diabetes. Not all disability is the same.

But to further answer your question...that 5' or 340lb QB...what's their tape look like? That kicker that has 1 arm...how's his leg and what effect has having 1 arm had on his ability to put the ball through the uprights? Do you have any context for any of your far fetched hairbrained scenarios....or are you just flat out saying that anyone that doesn't have A1 medicals and isn't typical is less than? 

the further answers to those questions are simple. no one would draft those players in the first round. maybe not the first 3.

i've been called ignorant many times, which is weird because i'm really smart.