Karen Carpenter - Reborn

Draconator

That brings me right back to Casey Middle and the “dance” in the gym. That was the sound of the times. 

EDIT: Oh, and they killed it! Well done! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

If your eyes were closed you would not know that was a cover.  I am not a huge fan of the original - nice song but - meh - to me.  However, as covers go, that one nails it.

Say no more

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If your eyes were closed you would not know that was a cover.  I am not a huge fan of the original - nice song but - meh - to me.  However, as covers go, that one nails it.

I thought the same and actually closed my eyes to test the theory. It passed.

16 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I thought the same and actually closed my eyes to test the theory. It passed.

on that token- I’ve never thought of “close my eyes and think it was the original” as actually being a good cover 

I mean, cool for a bar band, right? But in an artistic sense it’s so much cooler when someone successfully walks the tightrope of bringing new life to a familiar work. Funny enough, that’s also the fast track to a bad cover too.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

on that token- I’ve never thought of “close my eyes and think it was the original” as actually being a good cover 

I mean, cool for a bar band, right? But in an artistic sense it’s so much cooler when someone successfully walks the tightrope of bringing new life to a familiar work. Funny enough, that’s also the fast track to a bad cover too.

I've found that for the most part, I prefer a cover song when I've heard it before the original. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I'm cool with both. In this case the vocals are so true to the original from decades ago that I'm blown away. Not sure if the singer is a 'Karen Carpenter' tribute singer or a singer that nailed a tribute to her. I suspect the latter but could be wrong.

Completely agree on pros/cons of  'bringing new life' to covers.  To each their own, my wife isn't a fan but I think this is great:

49 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm cool with both. In this case the vocals are so true to the original from decades ago that I'm blown away. Not sure if the singer is a 'Karen Carpenter' tribute singer or a singer that nailed a tribute to her. I suspect the latter but could be wrong.

Completely agree on pros/cons of  'bringing new life' to covers.  To each their own, my wife isn't a fan but I think this is great:

The singer has a incredible Karen like voice. There's other songs on her YouTube page that are just as good

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks for posting this, it is awesome. This song was song at my Jr High graduation lol

We must be pretty close to the same age... that would be the really-really old people group!

This was our graduating class song in 1970.

• Like (+1) 1

Projecting forward:

One month:

Boomerang hires the young lady as vocalist.

Three months:

Boomerang and young lady agree to part ways after she refuses to emulate lead vocalist for the Headpins.  You know, the girl who gets her hand caught in the ball return at the bowling alley.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Projecting forward:

One month:

Three months:

Boomerang and young lady agree to part ways after she refuses to emulate lead vocalist for the Headpins.  You know, the girl who gets her hand caught in the ball return at the bowling alley.

The Headpins are a legit Canadian band

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

The Headpins are a legit Canadian band

I am unsure of which lead vocalist (Denise McCann, or her replacement Darby Mills) sang 'Wrecking Ball', but the poor woman sounded as if she was stuck in a subway train's doors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 8:28 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Projecting forward:

One month:

Three months:

Blotto! Haven't heard that band's name decades! They were popular  around Albany around 1980. "I Wanna Be a Lifeguard" was their hit. Actually saw it once on  MTV in 1980. That was their logo.

29 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Blotto! Haven't heard that band's name decades! They were popular  around Albany around 1980. "I Wanna Be a Lifeguard" was their hit. Actually saw it once on  MTV in 1980. That was their logo.

I recall the group stopping by WZIR FM's morning show (I think 🤔).  Jim Nowicki I believe was the morning show host, with George Prentice as the news director.  Jim died a few years back, George is still in radio at Boise State, Idaho.

• 2 weeks later...