Brandon Beane Addresses Media - NFL Annual Meeting

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

He plays outside and a lot project him to the slot because of his route running. That comment was very interesting and describes a guy like a McConkey or a Worthy way more than guys like Legette 

Yet, Legette is the type monster athlete Josh has never had at receiver. Josh already has good, quick route runners. The one type of guy he doesn't have is the jump ball winner. The icing on the cake is that Legette has legit top end speed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yet, Legette is the type monster athlete Josh has never had at receiver. Josh already has good, quick route runners. The one type of guy he doesn't have is the jump ball winner. The icing on the cake is that Legette has legit top end speed.

He also has a ton of flaws in his game as well and will be pushing 24 when hes in the NFL his rookie season. If he was a guy who was 21 I would be more game for him but he's not. There are so many people here who are going to be highly disappointed when the Bills pass on him at 28.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He plays outside and a lot project him to the slot because of his route running. That comment was very interesting and describes a guy like a McConkey or a Worthy way more than guys like Legette 

This is fundamentally incorrect.

Legette had 141 snaps out of the Slot last season and is also used in motion.

Versatility doesn't mean we're specifically looking for a tweener. In versatility, he's discussing the ability, if they so choose, to be able to be lined up wherever they choose on any given play.

Further speaking to the comment of versatility, he also said it can't be something that creates "offset". With Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir, and Dalton Kincaid - we are LOADED at the Slot/Tweener role. 

A primarily Outside WR can still have versatility. And Xavier Legette does have that.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He also has a ton of flaws in his game as well and will be pushing 24 when hes in the NFL his rookie season. If he was a guy who was 21 I would be more game for him but he's not. There are so many people here who are going to be highly disappointed when the Bills pass on him at 28.

He stayed an extra year in College because he never got an opportunity before Year 5 at South Carolina. When he was given his opportunity, he more than flourished.

As such, he just turned 23 - instead of the standard Senior Age of 22. He won't turn 24 until 2025. This is massively overblown.

If this is such a big issue, wouldn't Ladd McConkey being only 10 months younger be a problem?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Will be interesting to see how the Tre situation plays out.  I thought having him and Rasul both back was a possibility, as there are many ways to skin a cat.  This would be an interesting twist.

At this point I think Benford is better than Tre White 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

So, you're saying he could play for the Bills for 10 years. Oh no.

4 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Are WRs really versatile at 6’0” 185lbs? I absolutely love watching his highlight clips! 

Isn’t that what Samuel, Shakir and Diggs basically are?

I love Ladd the player.  As a GA fan he and Bowers drove teams crazy.  He has speed, good hands, knows how to get open and was lined up anywhere.  He was amazing at finding seams in the defense and then blowing by the DB or LB for 40 yards.  Ladd has a habit of making DB’s look foolish, as he did at the  Senior Bowl.

All that said, I still want ex-Dawg Adonai Mitchell.  He just knows how to make big time plays.  He’s kind of a bigger faster version of Ladd. 

His comment about a WR prospect needing to be smart and versatile is actually what I specifically did NOT want to hear. It could be a whole lot of nothing, of course, because they tend to value those traits at EVERY position, and it's a GM soundbite during smoke season, BUT...I've been hoping the offensive scheme moves away from the known density and complexity of Daboll's option-heavy route concepts, in favor of at least slightly simplified, more defined pre-snap plays. 

The E-P passing system reminds me in some ways of Sexy-Rexy's variable, complicated, check-heavy defensive playbook. IF you have experienced players who are both gifted physically AND with mental processing, then you can have an answer to almost anything your opponent does. But it requires serious preparation and communication and on-field, real-time synchronicity. Rookies (and slower processing prospects) don't often slot right into this type of system. 

The more the offense asked of Gabe Davis, for example, the more he struggled. Beasley, Brown, and Diggs, on the other hand, synced up with Josh consistently. I recall Emmanuel Sanders having uneven results (despite some notable successes) during his tenure. More recently, Harty had early trouble getting on the same page with his QB. McKenzie displayed similar troubles when defenses ran more complicated zone concepts. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He stayed an extra year in College because he never got an opportunity before Year 5 at South Carolina. When he was given his opportunity, he more than flourished.

As such, he just turned 23 - instead of the standard Senior Age of 22. He won't turn 24 until 2025. This is massively overblown.

If this is such a big issue, wouldn't Ladd McConkey being only 10 months younger be a problem?

January 2025. If he was so good why didn’t he get the chance for 4 years. This is my problem with some people. Okay he flourished one year. Why didn’t he get an opportunity supposedly for 4 years before that. Work ethic? Guys better than him? So im supposed to then believe a guy who couldn’t flourish or get on the field or however you want to put it is the 28th best player in a tremendously deep WR draft 

34 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

So, you're saying he could play for the Bills for 10 years. Oh no.

No a raw WR prospect at 24 is not a good thing. You expect a 24 year old prospect to be a polished player by now. If he was 21 or 22 I wouldn’t have a problem. Let’s say he takes 2 years to get up to NFL speed due to his rawness. He’s now 26 and has 3 years left. Great we get fantastic production for 3 years then he’s going to seek a huge deal at 29 years old. It will likely be his only big contract and we don’t know if he’ll break down at 31 or 34 like you say but your going to either take that risk and pay him a ton or lose him 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Didn't that veteran QB we saw in first game of season due that? They needed to sign his posse and he only played for part of one game but he did it.

No, that QB ended up getting more total money.

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Legette had more yards from the slot than McConkey in 2023. He VERY much meets the versatile can line up in different spots criteria.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

His WR description is Ladd McConkey straight up.

McConkey is a gadget player, we don't need any more of those......we've got Cook, Kincaid and Knox that can open up the middle. We need guys that can stretch the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Legette had more yards from the slot than McConkey in 2023. He VERY much meets the versatile can line up in different spots criteria.

Now do 2022 and 2021 for me.  It’s amazing how brainwashed people on here are for a one year wonder who’s old who couldn’t get on the field for 4 years and everyone wants him as our first round pick. 

Kincaid was old but he was a very polished player who could come in and contribute right away. The fact people think this guy is going to come in at X and play right away is completely asinine. He didn’t play in college for 4 years at South Carolina were not talking Ohio Stare here. His former college teammate Juice Wells is a better player. 

I get it you love him and you have some respect around here so others follow. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Now do 2022 and 2021 for me.  It’s amazing how brainwashed people on here are for a one year wonder who’s old who couldn’t get on the field for 4 years and everyone wants him as our first round pick. 

Kincaid was old but he was a very polished player who could come in and contribute right away. The fact people think this guy is going to come in at X and play right away is completely asinine. He didn’t play in college for 4 years at South Carolina were not talking Ohio Stare here. His former college teammate Juice Wells is a better player. 

I get it you love him and you have some respect around here so others follow. 

I have said repeatedly that the one year production and the breakout age are legit concerns. I have never shied from that. And have never sought to argue with anyone making that point.

But the 2023 tape is also legit. I'd be willing to take the risk on that basis. But I understand the people for whom that risk is too rich. 

The point I was disputing was that he isn't versatile. He is. It is why I have him a tick ahead of Brian Thomas Jnr on my board. You can do more with Legette.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have said repeatedly that the one year production and the breakout age are legit concerns. I have never shied from that. And have never sought to argue with anyone making that point.

But the 2023 tape is also legit. I'd be willing to take the risk on that basis. But I understand the people for whom that risk is too rich. 

The point I was disputing was that he isn't versatile. He is. It is why I have him a tick ahead of Brian Thomas Jnr on my board. You can do more with Legette.

And I’m not. The only reason why he became the guy at SC was because Wells got hurt this year. You’re not versatile if you’re not on the field. I don’t believe he’s a prospect that will instantly crack the WR rotation. For all his good traits he has just as many bad traits. 

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Worthy is NOT versatile. He is a John Ross 2.0 and scares the hell out of me. He is 5'11 165 pounds. He will be a jet sweep guy/ gadget guy exclusively. WR's like him do not succeed in the NFL. 

McConkey is fine because he can run routes, catch across the middle, etc but I don't want him early. He is the same build as Diggs basically. We NEED a big bodied receiver.