Brandon Beane Addresses Media - NFL Annual Meeting

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Until a defender jams him in the first 5 yards off his route and he doesn't run the route  as intended and misses the timing of the pass. 

That defender better make contact or its a big play.   

5 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Worthy is NOT versatile. He is a John Ross 2.0 and scares the hell out of me. He is 5'11 165 pounds. He will be a jet sweep guy/ gadget guy exclusively. WR's like him do not succeed in the NFL. 

image.thumb.png.124e2864b03792760810396589dbad0f.png

image.thumb.png.6766c597fd9db5ac3aa04dbfeeb33112.png

I don't think it's fair to say that Xaxier Worthy is John Ross 2.0.

The first set of stats is Ross, the second is Worthy.

For one thing, John Ross broke out as a fourth year Junior, doing not much of note until then. Worthy broke out as a freshman, posting 981 yards and 12 TDs.

As for the size and the notion that players like him can't hold up in the NFL:

Xavier Worthy is 5'11" 165 lbs.
Devonta Smith is 6'0" 170 lbs and has done quite well for himself in the NFL.
Darnell Mooney is 5'11" 174 lbs and has posted a 1,000 yard receiving season in the NFL and just signed a decent FA deal to be a WR2 for Atlanta.

It's not unreasonable to think that Worthy can add 5 lbs of muscle in an NFL strength and conditioning program. 

If you don't like Worthy as a prospect, that's fine, but I think that calling him "John Ross 2.0" or blaming his size is faulty reasoning.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

For one thing, John Ross broke out as a fourth year Junior, doing not much of note until then. Worthy broke out as a freshman, posting 981 yards and 12 TDs.

Darnell Mooney is 5'11" 174 lbs and has posted a 1,000 yard receiving season in the NFL and just signed a decent FA deal to be a WR2 for Atlanta.

It's not unreasonable to think that Worthy can add 5 lbs of muscle in an NFL strength and conditioning program. 

If you don't like Worthy as a prospect, that's fine, but I think that calling him "John Ross 2.0" or blaming his size is faulty reasoning.

This plus there is speculation he was only down to 165 to try to get the 40 record.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

Ok sorry, John Ross was more productive his senior year by miles than Worthy.

You named 2 other guys who are “good” receivers. That’s not the norm. If you think the Bills need another gadget guy that runs fast, that’s your take. I don’t think we do and we don’t. We need a real WR who can run routes, be physical at the line with CBs from KC and have an expanded route tree. Not a guy that’s cool because he’s fast. 

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Ok sorry, John Ross was more productive his senior year by miles than Worthy.

You named 2 other guys who are “good” receivers. That’s not the norm. If you think the Bills need another gadget guy that runs fast, that’s your take. I don’t think we do and we don’t. We need a real WR who can run routes, be physical at the line with CBs from KC and have an expanded route tree. Not a guy that’s cool because he’s fast. 

The comments you're making indicate to me that you have not watched Xavier Worthy play football. If you are calling him a "gadget guy", there's no way you've watched much of him at Texas.

Again, if you don't like Worthy and you want someone more physical, that's perfectly okay, buy when you say things like he's "John Ross 2.0" or a "gadget guy" or "cool because he's fast", it just makes it clear you haven't watched him and/or don't know much about him. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

The comments you're making indicate to me that you have not watched Xavier Worthy play football. If you are calling him a "gadget guy", there's no way you've watched much of him at Texas.

Again, if you don't like Worthy and you want someone more physical, that's perfectly okay, buy when you say things like he's "John Ross 2.0" or a "gadget guy" or "cool because he's fast", it just makes it clear you haven't watched him and/or don't know much about him. 

My brother in christ, I'm referring to him at the next level. I live in Texas, I have been to games to watch him play. 

Guys like that don't succeed in the NFL. 

You're going to tell me he has an advanced route tree? That makes me think you have never watched him play football. 

You think he can beat physical CBs off the line? That makes me think you never watched him play football. 

You think he is going to go over the middle on a 15 yard in and catch a ball while getting hit? That makes me think you never watched him play football. 

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So here's my take and maybe I'm all wrong.  The problem I see with not being able to blow by corners, is in some games, notably playoff games, if the refs aren't calling DH and DPI, corners just muscle and hinder our guys and they can't get open.

A couple years ago, the Bills almost never saw man during the regular season, because Brown could burn man deep (unless there was a lot of uncalled mugging), Diggs could break their ankles, and there was usually a good outlet in Beasley unless they bracketed him.  In 2022, McKenzie could KILL man.  But last year, IIRC the Bills saw a huge amount of man coverage, because we lacked guys who could blow by corners or kill them short.  No one could get open against man.

6th in sc 

We need that element back in our game.

But you're ignoring the fundamental point, which is that almost everyone plays two deep safeties, and they play all kinds of complicated man-zone combinations, all of which are designed to stop the deep ball.  It doesn't really matter if you have John Brown II, because he's going to find himself double covered most of the times he goes deep.   That's what's happened to the league in the days since Brown left.  

It's not like without a deep threat teams are shutting down the Bills' passing game.  They were seventh in yards and 8th in TDs in their passing game.   That's not bad.   They were fourth in total yards and 6th in scoring.    As I noted in an earlier post, the teams that win and were effective in the playoffs don't feature a John-Brown type threat.   Instead, they force the defense to stop the run and the pass from sideline to sideline and from 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and 60 yards downfield, and they do it not by having a classic deep threat.  They do it by stressing the defense with ins, outs, deep crossing patterns, occasional fly patterns when they get the look they want, etc.   They don't do it by splitting a speedster out wide and threatening the defense on every play with the prospect of a fly pattern.  They have receivers who are fast enough to get deep when the offense is running the right patterns against the defense.   

So, what the Bills need at receiver, I think, is a smart receiver, quick, good hands, and good speed.   That's why they got Samuel.   He's fine.   Now, the Bills need a replacement for Diggs in the next year or two, and I'm not suggesting that they're good for now with Samuel.  And more speed is always better than less speed.  But speed isn't the most important criterion for wideouts the way the game is being played now, and the notion that the Bills "need" a guy with great deep speed just isn't correct, in my opinion.  

In some ways, it's comparable to running backs.   In previous eras, people used to think that great speed was essential for someone to be a great running back.  People don't think that any more.  Yes, it's great if you have a running back who can make the cuts, break the tackles, catch passes out of the backfield AND has great speed, but if he can do all the other things without having great speed, people are fine with that.   Nobody is saying McCaffrey isn't great because he doesn't have break away speed, and no one was troubled by the fact that Thurman couldn't outrun the fastest defenders.   

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Calais Campbell or Teair Tart perhaps? 

Clowney?  Another Vet Edge rusher in June?

Clowney would be interesting. He fits the tall DEs that we favor and at 31 he's got less tread on his tire than Campbell. 

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

My brother in christ, I'm referring to him at the next level. I live in Texas, I have been to games to watch him play. 

Guys like that don't succeed in the NFL. 

You're going to tell me he has an advanced route tree? That makes me think you have never watched him play football. 

You think he can beat physical CBs off the line? That makes me think you never watched him play football. 

You think he is going to go over the middle on a 15 yard in and catch a ball while getting hit? That makes me think you never watched him play football. 

I don’t live in Texas, but I have eyes, and he definitely has a diverse route tree, is a skilled route runner, and plays tougher and bigger than his size. 

Guys like him do succeed in the NFL and are named, for example, Davonte Smith, DeSean Jackson, Zay Flowers, John Brown, Tyreek Hill, Will Fuller, Antonio Brown, Cole Beasley, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Darnell Mooney, etc.

If we take Worthy and try to turn into a contested catch slot guy, then that would be on the OBD suits.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I don’t live in Texas, but I have eyes, and he definitely has a diverse route tree, is a skilled route runner, and plays tougher and bigger than his size. 

Guys like him do succeed in the NFL and are named, for example, Davonte Smith, DeSean Jackson, Zay Flowers, John Brown, Tyreek Hill, Will Fuller, Antonio Brown, Cole Beasley, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Darnell Mooney, etc.

If we take Worthy and try to turn into a contested catch slot guy, then that would be on the OBD suits.

Worthy is not the fella I want, but I'd hate to see him go to the Chiefs or an AFC East team. If I hate that idea, he must be pretty good.

My preference is a big X type, and if not, I am partial to McConkey, who I think is going to be really good, but I am also biased in that assessment.

If they go with Worthy, I will be excited to see him stretch the field, and thinking we still better get a big X early day 3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Worthy is not the fella I want, but I'd hate to see him go to the Chiefs or an AFC East team. If I hate that idea, he must be pretty good.

My preference is a big X type, and if not, I am partial to McConkey, who I think is going to be really good, but I am also biased in that assessment.

If they go with Worthy, I will be excited to see him stretch the field, and thinking we still better get a big X early day 3.

Worthy is my favorite in the second tier, but I would be happy with McConkey, Thomas Jr., or Mitchell at 28, too. 

Agreed if it is Worthy or McConkey, then I hope they double dip and try for Gabe 2.0 in round 4 or 5.

• Like (+1) 1