PSL Pricing/Seat Selection Discussion

49 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

To make sure I’m clear, a PSL becomes a personal asset, correct?  So if one decides to spend the money, it is sellable someday, if one also chooses?  And the value could potentially increase?

It’s an asset that would require the holder to buy season tickets every season. That’s a big caveat. Look around and see how many are on the market for more than what they originally sold for. Not many people choose to sell their PSLs during good times. A glut of available PSLs would happen during a prolonged bad run though.

edited to add: I’ll guarantee that the team will charge a fee for and/or take a cut of any PSL transfer transactions 

Edited by BarleyNY

Just now, BarleyNY said:

It’s an asset that would require the holder to buy season tickets every season. That’s a big caveat. Look around and see how many are on the market for more than what they originally sold for. Not many people choose to sell their PSLs during good times. A glut of available PSLs would happen during a prolonged bad run though.

So if I want a good deal on a PSL, wait until they suck again…

• Like (+1) 1

Terry Pegula deserves a highway bill board like Ralph Wilson days when he refused to fire someone. Because of the sky high PSL prices and the Buffalo Sabres playoff drought. Save Bills Mafia seats in the new Buffalo Bills stadium with lower PSL prices along with more seating flexibility and save NHL hockey in Buffalo. Fire Don Granato and Kevyn Adams should be the new Highway billboard sign. It’s well past the giving Terry Pegula passes time put the Highway billboard up to embarrass Terry Pegula in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Just Jack said:

Late Feb 2029, after our third SB win, and before Josh announces his retirement. 

Only playing for 11 years? I feel jipped. And guys like Brady and Rogers never retire 

Just now, mrags said:

Only playing for 11 years? I feel jipped. And guys like Brady and Rogers never retire 

Well, those guys are the extreme, one likes to follow a very healthy lifestyle, and the other likes to sit in the dark.  Josh is just a normal player.  

On 3/25/2024 at 7:09 PM, buffblue said:

They were discussing the PSL issue on WGR this morning and (for what it's worth) said that the absolute highest price (club or otherwise) for the Vikings was 9k. That was back in 2018 with a building that is probably going to be considered far superior to our new digs.

I know building costs are insane now but that was a mere 6 years ago when the Vikings palace checked in at 1.1 billion. Still a bit shocking that ANY seats could be in the 20-50k range for a stadium in Buffalo that is not exactly going to be the Taj Mahal. 

$50k gets you the right to buy a seat right on uncle Terry's lap.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4th&long said:

Pagulas are known to overplay their hand. It’s their business model. They are going to be embarrassed. This isn’t LA.

Terry sold his natural gas holdings at peak market and netted billions.  Royal Shell, a fairly sophisticated buyer, paid close to $5 billion for those interests.  A little over 2 years later Shell took a $2 billion impairment on those assets.  10 years later they divested all of it for $550 million.  Depletion is a thing but I don't think thats the whole story.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

After all the pros, all the cons, all the explanations, all the reasons, at the end of the day there will be some people who end up taking out 10 year loans at 10%, to be able to then buy tickets to go to a football game.  I am not disparaging these people, everyone has the right to make their own economic decisions.  I am saddened that such a situation has become normalized.

There will be some who do ( I would not ), but I’m not saddened by it. Folks can decide for themselves what they are willing to pay for entertainment, such as attending professional sports events.  That includes how to pay for it, and perhaps that type of loan will work for them. 

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

So if I want a good deal on a PSL, wait until they suck again…

Buy low, sell high. 

The high PSL price for premium seats is to be expected.  We’ll have to see what more “normal” sears will be but I doubt they’ll be so extreme as to price folks out.

I grew up in Tonawanda and am well aware that WNY is historically and proudly blue collar.  And while I understand folks yelling about these PSLs, here’s what I see when I visit.  When I come back, the restaurant parking lots are full.  Strip mall parking lots are full.  I’ve been to Bandit games and the place is packed.  So from what I can see, there is disposable income in the area, and folks will decide whether they want to use that disposable income on the Bills.

My guess is many will.  Maybe you’ll split one with a friend.  And no doubt there will be a larger secondary market for seats for individual games.  But Bills fans will fill the new place, no question.

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

There will be some who do ( I would not ), but I’m not saddened by it. Folks can decide for themselves what they are willing to pay for entertainment, such as attending professional sports events.  That includes how to pay for it, and perhaps that type of loan will work for them. 

For example, Steve Martin and Martin Short tour came through my city last year and the wife and I definitely would have gone seen them, but tickets were very expensive.  The very last row in the upper balcony, which is about the farthest from the stage you can get and always cheapest, was still over $80/seat.  We opted not to go.  Where we would normally sit was over $150/seat.  And these are direct from the venue prices, not the secondary market.  

Edited by Just Jack

38 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

For example, Steve Martin and Martin Short tour came through my city last year and the wife and I definitely would have gone seen them, but tickets were very expensive.  The very last row in the upper balcony, which is about the farthest from the stage you can get and always cheapest, was still over $80/seat.  We opted not to go.  Where we would normally sit was over $150/seat.  And these are direct from the venue prices, not the secondary market.  

That's the other caveat in all of this....EVERYTHING is insanely expensive right now.  So many people are struggling to afford their monthly groceries etc. that it makes it just about impossible to justify paying through the roof to go to a football game.  It would be one thing if these prices were going into effect a decade ago but everything is so overpriced right now it makes it easy to cut out going to things like concerts and football games.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's a good deal?  

🤔

Haha right.  The pricing of the PSLs ultimately highlights a free market economy.  If you want to buy a good product, you’re going to pay more.  You want a discount, then you’ll need to wait until the product isn’t as good.

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Haha right.  The pricing of the PSLs ultimately highlights a free market economy.  If you want to buy a good product, you’re going to pay more.  You want a discount, then you’ll need to wait until the product isn’t as good.

Yeah, indeed.  Just being light-hearted of course.

Seriously though, everyone's different, but for me, I'm not all that big on going to games where I know we're going to obliterate some hapless team.  I prefer the bigger games, like most people.  But I'm not willing to pay much for the crappy ones just to "see the team," especially in crap weather. 

For me, overpaying to see one or two games live is significantly less expensive than getting seasons, and then I have a choice closer to game time.  If the weather going to suck I can watch it on TV. 

I used to have STs, but living out of town I got tired of eating them for games that no one wanted to go to when I didn't go, which was most games.  That's when it hit me that it would cost me less to significantly overpay for the game or two I really wanted to see and ditch the stress and time commitment to selling the others.  

The major league sports business models have also gotten out of hand in the last decade or two.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, indeed.  Just being light-hearted of course.

Seriously though, everyone's different, but for me, I'm not all that big on going to games where I know we're going to obliterate some hapless team.  I prefer the bigger games, like most people.  But I'm not willing to pay much for the crappy ones just to "see the team," especially in crap weather. 

For me, overpaying to see one or two games live is significantly less expensive than getting seasons, and then I have a choice closer to game time.  If the weather going to suck I can watch it on TV. 

I used to have STs, but living out of town I got tired of eating them for games that no one wanted to go to when I didn't go, which was most games.  That's when it hit me that it would cost me less to significantly overpay for the game or two I really wanted to see and ditch the stress and time commitment to selling the others.  

The major league sports business models have also gotten out of hand in the last decade or two.  

Yup I remember when being a sports fan was blue collar entertainment but it has drastically shifted to being an Elitist hobby.  All while the actual product has gone downhill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1