Does Josh Allen still work as hard in the offseason?

49 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Actually this thread was inspired by seeing Mahomes working out already with his new WR Brown.

It’s so crazy that they’re already doing that. Rashee Rice was also working out with them. Would love to see Allen, Samuel, and Diggs get together like that outside of team events. But not everyone has that drive in them. Mahomes is clearly on another level when it comes to being driven for success and it shows on the field. 

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, 90sBills said:

The fact that their qb has already met and worked out with their newly signed receiver just weeks after winning yet another Superbowl does say something about their culture and mentality. 

The point is: we don't know if our newly signed receiver has or has not met with our QB.  What we know is, it hasn't shown up on social media.  We also know our QB likes to keep his private life private and talked about deleting his social media (he has a twitter and instagram but they look like they're in the hands of an agent and just re-post other people's stuff and advertising committments).

IIRC, Dalton Kincaid mentioned during one interview early in last season "working with Josh" after the draft last off season, but nothing was posted on SM or said at the time (so it must not have happened) and we have people here posting about how Josh never meets with receivers off season.

We also don't know the scope of the abovementioned and pictured workout - weeks?  days?  a day?  lifting?  throwing?  But hey, it's a picture on social media so it must be a Big Thing showing Big Things.  Yes, it shows they have a good culture and mentality.   Good for them.

4 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It’s so crazy that they’re already doing that. Rashee Rice was also working out with them. Would love to see Allen, Samuel, and Diggs get together like that outside of team events. But not everyone has that drive in them. Mahomes is clearly on another level when it comes to being driven for success and it shows on the field. 

But again - the absence of stuff on social media doesn't mean the absence of stuff.  People in this day and age seem to get confused about that.  You don't know whether Allen met or plans to meet with Samuel or anyone else. but this post of yours drips with assuming they didn't or won't.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know. But I really hope he works hard this offseason. I feel like Josh being dialled in is the difference between this team being in a lot of one score games and us winning more comfortably. 

It is pretty clear that last season, our offense wasn't good enough at times and certainly in our opening game against the Jets Josh played pretty poorly.

So whatever went into that, needs to get fixed, and Josh needs to start the season dialed in.  I have my ideas what that is, but I don't know for sure.

Just now, Beck Water said:

The point is: we don't know if our newly signed receiver has or has not met with our QB.  What we know is, it hasn't shown up on social media.  We also know our QB likes to keep his private life private and talked about deleting his social media (he has a twitter and instagram but they look like they're in the hands of an agent and just re-post other people's stuff and advertising committments).

IIRC, Dalton Kincaid mentioned during one interview early in last season "working with Josh" after the draft last off season, but nothing was posted on SM or said at the time (so it must not have happened) and we have people here posting about how Josh never meets with receivers off season.

We also don't know the scope of the abovementioned and pictured workout - weeks?  days?  a day?  lifting?  throwing?  But hey, it's a picture on social media so it must be a Big Thing showing Big Things.  Yes, it shows they have a good culture and mentality.   Good for them.

But again - the absence of stuff on social media doesn't mean the absence of stuff.  People in this day and age seem to get confused about that.

You really think if something like that would happened without the Bills social media team being on top of it in this day and age?

Mahomes holds annual offseason camps to work with his receivers…current and newly added. He even works with draft prospects that would want to participate. Like I said not everyone is driven like this and it’s ok. But it’s clear he is driven to be the best and it shows on the field. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ask yourself what McDermott does to be a better HC? He is the sole reason Allen is not a SuperBowl champion. 

Allen is the only reason the Bills are competitive. 

Replace McDermott with any HC and this team still wins the division. 

How would "asking ourselves" provide this information?  Does the person you're speaking to actually know Sean McDermott?  Do you?

We have as little idea about what McDermott does in the off-season to be a better HC, as we do about the details of Allen's off-season work other than that he was seen in Paris with Hailee Steinfeld one day (he was photographed and it was posted on social media, so it happened).

I'm not on Team Keep McDermott, but the bit about "replace with any other HC and the team still wins the division" is pretty clearly baloney.

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Let me start by saying I come in peace! Just having a conversation here. I know this is kind of a negative Josh post.

What do you think? Does it matter to you if he doesn’t train or work on his game as much as he use to?

You have no proof about your accusation. Why stir the pot when there is nothing to show? Good lord the backhanded ways “fans” try to tear down the best Quarterback to ever play for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Westside said:

You have no proof about your accusation. Why stir the pot when there is nothing to show? Good lord the backhanded ways “fans” try to tear down the best Quarterback to ever play for the Bills. 

It's the bat signal for all the skeptic so-called Bills fans to get in a circle and.....off!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

You really think if something like that would happened without the Bills social media team being on top of it in this day and age?

The Bills social media team?  Of course they wouldn't be on top of it.  Do you think it's the Chiefs social media team putting out that photo of Mahomes in the gym with Rice and Brown?  Hint: It is not.

The NFL/NFLPA CBA has strict rules about off-season coach and team contact with players.  Having the Bills social media team "on top of it" would give the appearance of a team-sanctioned or team-supported or even team-organized workout, which would be a big No No.

If (say) Josh had receivers staying at his house in Cali and working out at a local field, but told them all "I like to keep my off-season private, no Instagrams please" do you think they'd post anyway?  Or would they respect him?

19 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Mahomes holds annual offseason camps to work with his receivers…current and newly added. He even works with draft prospects that would want to participate. Like I said not everyone is driven like this and it’s ok. But it’s clear he is driven to be the best and it shows on the field. 

How do you know Mahomes holds "annual offseason camps"?  How long are these camps?  Where and when are they?  Let's hear the details since you're informed.

While you're at it, Allen had a UCL tear mid-season last year.  What were his medical advisors directions for his off-season workouts?  He had a shoulder sprain mid season this year.  What were his medical team's directions for his off season this year?  Tell us about that.

I'm not saying Mahomes hasn't or won't hold sessions with his receivers or isn't 'driven', but "holding annual camps" from a single photo in a gym and maybe a mention of some guys working out with him last off season seems like a creation. 

And truthfully, the KC offense started the season rather out-of-sync and finished 15th in points scored.  They had 8 games decided by 7 points or less, 4 of which they lost, and were carried in many games by their kick-ass #2 defense.   The Bills, for all the complaining here, finished 6th in offense.  The difference is: KC put it all together and won the games when it counts, offense and defense.

Just maybe ........ an off season "receiver camp" (or workout) doesn't move the needle too much on how aligned the QB and receiver actually are during the start of the season? 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It is pretty clear that last season, our offense wasn't good enough at times and certainly in our opening game against the Jets Josh played pretty poorly.

So whatever went into that, needs to get fixed, and Josh needs to start the season dialed in.  I have my ideas what that is, but I don't know for sure.

I suspect it is more than one thing. But there we go. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

No saying or even considering anything bad about Allen. If he ever leaves you are then allowed to say it’s because he was not dedicated to winning. 

You know, there's a lot of room between saying or considering something bad about Allen - which, I actually do, up thread here? and just Making ***** Up, which seems to be what a lot of people are doing in this thread, based on.....wait, let me see....absolutely no factual knowledge or information.

No one knows the level of hard work a player puts in except him.  You don't get to Allen's level without working hard.  Pure talent doesn't get you by in the NFL, maybe for a moment but eventually the game gets too hard.  

He may not have the legendary work dedication like Jerry Rice or Kobe Bryant but Allen is doing enough to be a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I suspect it is more than one thing. But there we go. 

I suspect you're right.  The difference, to me, is that people can analyze what our offense was doing or not doing from actual film of actual games, and analyze Allen's actual performance in games - the throws he took, or didn't take - and come up with fact-based ideas of what needs to get fixed both with the offense and with Allen's game as a pro-QB.  Which, I'll say it, as good as it was, could be better.  We could have conversations about that.

But this whole nit-picking thread "does Josh still work as hard in the off-season" based on little information about how the man actually spends his off-season is crap.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

You know, there's a lot of room between saying or considering something bad about Allen - which, I actually do, up thread here? and just Making ***** Up, which seems to be what a lot of people are doing in this thread, based on.....wait, let me see....absolutely no factual knowledge or information.

Not sure if you’re referring to my original post but Josh is the one that says he doesn’t do much in the offseason the last couple years. And that he uses camp to get in shape. But he feels that helps him prevent soft tissue injuries. He also said his strength coach with the Bills will hate that he said that.

He also doesn’t throw much in the offseason anymore and doesn’t work with Palmer much anymore. Just kind of chills.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No one knows the level of hard work a player puts in except him.  You don't get to Allen's level without working hard.  Pure talent doesn't get you by in the NFL, maybe for a moment but eventually the game gets too hard.  

He may not have the legendary work dedication like Jerry Rice or Kobe Bryant but Allen is doing enough to be a winner.

He does enough to be a winner most of the time, the question is, what, if anything, does he need to do different or more to be a champion?

I don't know the answer to that but 1) neither does anyone else here 2) an off season workout photo op or throwing session may or may not be what he needs.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Curt Cousins is not good and comes up short but he works probably harder than anyone in the league and is maximizing his potential, otherwise he might not even be in the league.

Conversely, Josh Allen thinks he's good enough and doesn't workout, doesn't watch film, these are his own words. Kyle Allen asked him his plans for the offseason on his podcast. It wasn't to get better and work on being the best QB and winning a championship. He said his plan was to play at every single PGA major golf course. What an absolute slap in the face to Bills fans. This guy wants to be Tiger Woods not Tom Brady. And we all know that he is now immersed into the Hollywood scene and all of those industry parties and such so that will be a whole thing as well.

Not so bold prediction: Josh Allen has already peaked and the Bills will never win a Superbowl. He has other interests and he is happy just showing up on Sundays and seeing what happens.

Hope you are wrong, but do have a slight fear you are right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How would "asking ourselves" provide this information?  Does the person you're speaking to actually know Sean McDermott?  Do you?

We have as little idea about what McDermott does in the off-season to be a better HC, as we do about the details of Allen's off-season work other than that he was seen in Paris with Hailee Steinfeld one day (he was photographed and it was posted on social media, so it happened).

I'm not on Team Keep McDermott, but the bit about "replace with any other HC and the team still wins the division" is pretty clearly baloney.

Agree none of us know what Allen of McD does to prepare. It's preposterous to speculate. However the whole point of this thread is to attack our franchise QB. It's ludicrous. I criticize Allen for his INTs but to somehow criticize his work ethic or his intensity is insane. It's just as ludicrous to be critical of McDermott's desire to win. 

Judge them on the results on the field and nothing else.

Allen is the best QB this franchise has ever had.

The defense lead by our HC has collapsed against Houston and KC twice and barely survived beating a 3rd sting Miami QB. That is on McDermott. 

And yes with this roster and Allen any of the other 31 coaches in the league would win the division and several of them would have won a SuperBowl by now.