Casey Toohill signed

IBTG81

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Someone posted a video from Cover 1 earlier in the thread showing all his sacks from last year. Honestly none of the sacks look like it was because of his own ability. It was all bad/unaware QBs drifting into him for no apparent reason. So I guess that means he can set his edge which is fine, but as far as working into the pocket and creating a sack I didn't see any of that.

Sounds like he is probably the Shaq replacement, right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Someone posted a video from Cover 1 earlier in the thread showing all his sacks from last year. Honestly none of the sacks look like it was because of his own ability. It was all bad/unaware QBs drifting into him for no apparent reason. So I guess that means he can set his edge which is fine, but as far as working into the pocket and creating a sack I didn't see any of that.

The thing is, this guy was starting the back half of the season for Washington after they..... traded away both their starting DE.

So that was really his first opportunity to play extended snaps.

I actually thought he had discipline to maintain gap integrity and defended the run better than I was expecting from his draft scouting report.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know very little about him, not a guy I have ever really noticed on film. Not that I watched a ton of the Commanders last year. Interestingly his production (5 sacks, 8 pressures, 6 TFLs) seems to have been disproportionately in the games where he was rotating in as a backup rather than his 8 starts after the Young / Sweat trade. 

4 sacks, 5 pressures and 3 TFLs as a rotational end; 1 sack, 3 pressures, 3 TFL as a starter.  

That's not a big surprise to me.  For one thing, when a guy is rotating in, he can let 'er rip; he doesn't have to maintain that level for the whole game.

For another, after the starters were traded off, it was backups both sides and IIRC they had at least one backup starting on DL as well.  It helps with sacks if the QB is scared of the guy on the other side or feeling pressure up the middle.

Anyway as a rotational/backup piece, signed for probably a vet minimum contract with a bit of a signing bonus, I like him better than I thought 

A difference maker on game day, not very likely

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Contract details are in. Vet minimum with ZERO guarantees. Beane the wizard at it again.

If anyone dislikes this deal, given the numbers, you don't know ball.

Slight overpay

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Contract details are in. Vet minimum with ZERO guarantees. Beane the wizard at it again.

If anyone dislikes this deal, given the numbers, you don't know ball.

The way I look at this is he is a camp body who can be a serviceable back end of the rotation DE. I think the Bills usually carry 5-6 DE's (for some reason they list Von as an OLB but I am counting him as a DE for obvious reasons) so right now you are looking at three locks to make the roster/rotation in Groot, AJE and Von. So there's 2-3 spots up for grabs with Toohill and Kingsley Johnathan currently in the fold. I suspect they will draft at least one DE in the early or mid-rounds and maybe if the value is right they take a second DE in the draft later. So Toohill being in a competition for the last 2-3 DE rotation spots with Kingsley Johnathan, a rookie or two plus UDFA's and maybe another "camp vet" sounds like a good way to flesh out those last few spots at DE. I also love the option to cut him if he gets beaten out and take no penalty.