The 60's Music... or Crazy Purple Things

When it all comes down to it, the 60's are absolutely my favorite decade for modern pop and everything music.  Except for the occasional stale stuff, everything was so original.  There were no boundaries, the 50's were escaped, and absolutely nothing was defined.  

The claws of business would keep trying to entrench, but for a brief, shining, moment... they didn't know what the ***** to do, and the music was all over the place. 

I took an uber ride to the airport recently and Modest Mouse's 'Dashboard' came on.  Ryan said it was a great classic, and I said... classic?  ***** I remember when it was brand new...

Point being, nothing is a classic- it all dropped for the first time at some point. I love to imagine how a song sounded as a listener the moment that needle first hit the vinyl on the radio station... when nothing like it had ever been discovered before.  The 60's are just amazing for that, like no other decade.  

Looking forward to your finest psychedelic Kenny Rogers memories, pale rabbits, soundtracks  and maybe a Perry Como gem.  

Cheers

• Like (+1) 1

I have backstory to go with this clip which is why I chose this particular song . My best true recollections of the 60's involved me being beaten up by my big sister Kathy for little sister crimes. But said MEAN (lol)  big sister was in a sports contest run at our high school called Sports Nite. Girls in teams of girls  "Blue and white" team. It included  a number of contests including best promo posters relating to the theme, basketball, dance. contest  That is where "Purple Haze" came from. My sisters team year 1968 I believe chose this song, and created a dance routine based off of it which included white mini skirts and choreography with black lights. It was AWESOME.

"scuse me while I kiss the sky* **guitar wail~~~~~~~~~~

VIVID memory. I was ten when this happened 1968

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

It was dancing to this song that I discovered that Bride the First (in her pre-bride days) did a dance that oddly resembled a chicken.

"That ain't dancing, Sally!"

I wasn't much better.  All I did was a free form body shake that included a Ukrainian Hopak stage dance, the 'Cossack Dance'.
Also remarkable that the song qualifies Steppenwolf as an official 'Canadian content' band for the CRTC's music police, due to band members being Canadian as well as the group recording some of their material in Canada. 🙄

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

An 18 year old Ed King is big on composing this song. 5 years later his friend Ronnie says join my band. Ed writes one of the greatest guitar intros of all time,  together they do Sweet Home Alabama and many other Lynyrd Skynyrd hits

https://youtu.be/m9pf9BL38BY?si=pG1waKUh4RL2NJ6o

On 3/18/2024 at 4:52 AM, Pete said:

1967-1972 and 1989-1994 are the two greatest musical periods in history IMO

Both were excellent periods. The early 90's were great and stayed that way through much, though not all of the decade. In 89, Jerry Garcia was sober, or at least close to it. The Dead concerts in Philly, Buffalo, and the Meadowlands were superb.

A case could be made that 1967-1972 changed the entire musical scene. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Also remarkable that the song qualifies Steppenwolf as an official 'Canadian content' band for the CRTC's music police, due to band members being Canadian as well as the group recording some of their material in Canada. 🙄

Steppenwolf's front man, John Kay, is actually German by birth. He and I have the same first name (which English speakers usually cannot pronounce) and we grew up in the same city in Germany, Hannover.

23 minutes ago, DrW said:

Steppenwolf's front man, John Kay, is actually German by birth. He and I have the same first name (which English speakers usually cannot pronounce) and we grew up in the same city in Germany, Hannover.

So you're really Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitzweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?!  I am impressed!

I think I will still call you DrW. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

I wasn't born 'til 71, but Electric Ladyland remains a favorite.  Some say that it's an album that was born of a days-long party in the studio, and I kinda believe it.  Still, I hear something new each time I listen to it.

One of the stores (Twin Fair, probably) had the record bin mislabeled as Electric Landlady.

We got a big kick out of that.

• Haha (+1) 1