The 60's Music... or Crazy Purple Things

On 3/28/2024 at 6:31 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

Time for me to put in a plug for my favorite podcast ever:

https://500songs.com/

A ridiculously ambitious project of one guy, Andrew Hickey. Even if you thought you knew the history or rock music front-to-back you'll learn things.

For example, I never knew about his guy till I heard one of his paid bonus (1 buck a month!) episodes: Jackson C. Frank, from Buffalo, a survivor of the horrific Cheektowaga school fire (something else I never knew about even though it was not that long before my time).

The Cleveland Hill school fire happened 70 yers ago this Easter. 15 kids were killed. Resulted in requiring emergency exits in classrooms and regular fire drills,

Haven't quite scratched the Graham Gouldman itch. He wrote 3 seminal hits for the Yardbirds: Evil Hearted You, Heart Full Of Soul and this one:

And one that might have been, but Jeff Beck took it solo:

One of the great groups of the early 1960s ... the Drifters (1962)

and how different popular music sounded just a few years later ... the Byrds (1967)

On 3/23/2024 at 2:47 PM, muppy said:

1969 seems to ring my bells quite a bit in this thread. 

This was actually the first song I thought of to be the first song of this thread- it's absolutely gorgeous.  After consulting my bandnamometer, I had to go with either The Electric Prunes or Strawberry Alarm Clock.  

Funny part 2... or is it trippy - I came to this thread because I've had The Yardbirds swirling around.... and Ralonzo's got them front and center.  

On 3/30/2024 at 3:41 PM, Ralonzo said:

Haven't quite scratched the Graham Gouldman itch. He wrote 3 seminal hits for the Yardbirds: Evil Hearted You, Heart Full Of Soul and this one:

And one that might have been, but Jeff Beck took it solo:

Rolonzo, if you like Jeff Beck (God rest his soul) Buy the Jeff Beck  "Truth" disk from the album he produced back in 1969. Rod Stewart

did the vocals with Ron Wood on bass. The album was given to me from a guy that roomed next to me in 1971 when I was in the the

Air Force. I played Led Zepplin so much, he thought that I'd like Jeff Beck as well. Boy, was he right!!   Check out the Truth album, if you

haven't done it already.        Rest in peace, Jeff!           (PS: the song "Beck's Bolero" really rocks!!)

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 4:06 AM, muppy said:

Somewhere around 1990 I got to see Roger McGuinn guest artist at a Tom Petty show at the Pacific Amphitheater.

The show was already fantastic, then the 'special guest star' shows up onstage... McGuinn with Petty!!

He's got his 12 string Rickenbacker and they bust this one out, straight out of the gate

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I just read an article in the paper about how the Woodstock Museum is currently working on a project where they are traveling around and meeting face to face with people who attended Woodstock to compile an oral history catalog on first hand experiences.  It's important they do this now because that population is starting to age out and they want to separate facts v.s. myths while they still can.  Pretty cool stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/3/2024 at 4:25 AM, BillsPride12 said:

I just read an article in the paper about how the Woodstock Museum is currently working on a project where they are traveling around and meeting face to face with people who attended Woodstock to compile an oral history catalog on first hand experiences.  It's important they do this now because that population is starting to age out and they want to separate facts v.s. myths while they still can.  Pretty cool stuff.

I don't trust Mark Zuckerberg, and commerce in general, to not completely screw this up (and copyright the screwed up experience), but one of these days there's going to be a Woodstock Experience Simulator.