The 60's Music... or Crazy Purple Things

ahh yes the naked  11 year old album cover picture.  I had a Y camp counselor call me "Blind Faith"once  at that same age. It wasn't until I got home and found out what that meant I was creeped Out.  I resembled her . SMH

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, muppy said:

ahh yes the naked  12 year old album cover picture.  I had a Y camp counselor call me "Blind Faith"once  at that same age. It wasn't until I got home and found out what that meant I was creeped Out.  I resembled her . SMH

Yeah if that album cover's an issue don't check out the Scorpions catalog with Uli Jon Roth...

The Who are coming up often and rightly so. This is the one track ever written for the band not penned by the band themselves. It was written by Townshend's pal/roadie/chauffeur/hanger-on Speedy Keen, kicking off the 1967 (!!!) Sell-Out album.

And here's the tie-in on your 1969 theme: Speedy would eventually join a band put together by Townshend (who played bass on the track under the pseudonym Bijou Drains) and have this monster #1 chart hit - something the Who never got close to, incidentally.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

George Harrison visited Haight-Ashbury once. He was disgusted with all the waste products  walking around there. I  lived in the Bay area close to 20 years, Hasn't changed, just spread to the whole city.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

My God, what a great thread!!!!    I went through high school in the 60's and these songs I remember dearly.

It was a "fast" decade because so many things were changing  & the rock music was at the head of those changes.

Rebellion was the thing. I grew up in Western NY so naturally, I'm a Bills fan. But, for my senior year in baseball,

I painted my spikes white as a tribute to the rebellious Joe Namath.        Go Bills!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/23/2024 at 9:29 PM, Ralonzo said:

Yeah if that album cover's an issue don't check out the Scorpions catalog with Uli Jon Roth...

The Who are coming up often and rightly so. This is the one track ever written for the band not penned by the band themselves. It was written by Townshend's pal/roadie/chauffeur/hanger-on Speedy Keen, kicking off the 1967 (!!!) Sell-Out album.

And here's the tie-in on your 1969 theme: Speedy would eventually join a band put together by Townshend (who played bass on the track under the pseudonym Bijou Drains) and have this monster #1 chart hit - something the Who never got close to, incidentally.

sometimes a certain song will come up from nowhere and it be so vivid an emotional response it's shocking. "Something In The Air" which you just posted right after a Who post made me tear up.  . Thank you for the gift. beautiful sweet sounding song from back in the day fits my mood . I love how music can minister to us sometimes. that's a great backstory too. 

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:29 PM, Ralonzo said:

Andy "Thunderclap" Newman's piano solo is what carries "Something In The Air" for me. Here is a live version. Newman looks as if he is from a different generation than the others, although he was only 27 when the clip was recorded.

Their follow-up single, "Accidents", was also a success in he UK. The lyrics are much darker.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Time for me to put in a plug for my favorite podcast ever:

https://500songs.com/

A ridiculously ambitious project of one guy, Andrew Hickey. Even if you thought you knew the history or rock music front-to-back you'll learn things.

For example, I never knew about his guy till I heard one of his paid bonus (1 buck a month!) episodes: Jackson C. Frank, from Buffalo, a survivor of the horrific Cheektowaga school fire (something else I never knew about even though it was not that long before my time).

• Like (+1) 2

my daughter who is a classically trained singer shares with me that in this song Janis *splits* her voice into 2 octaves in one musical phrase. That alone is remarkable.

• Like (+1) 1