Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I too would rather go after a younger safety (maybe not Simmons who is 30) to fill that hole on the back end rather than go after Armstead. I think that McD has not proven he can find unheralded safety talent and plug them in for good production.

McD has had the combo of Po and Hyde since 2017. Since McD got here he’s only had one year when he had to plug in for either long term and that was 2022 when Hyde was out for the year. That year they ended up going with Hamlin who was not that great (certainly not bad but played like a decent backup safety). Really the only unheralded guy McD has found at safety has been Po who was signed in 2017, Hyde was a fairly big FA acquisition.

At corner McD has proven he can find players all over the draft and free agency. Dane Jackson and Benford were 6th rounders who played well, Levi Wallace looked competent as a UDFA and T Johnson one of the better slot corners in the league was a 4th round pick. 

So while I think McD is great in the secondary overall I still don’t like the idea of having to spend a higher draft choice to play next to Rapp or going with Rapp and a mid round pick there. I much rather would find a younger safety in the 26-27 age range that is more proven to anchor one spot for the next few years and then draft a safety in the mid rounds to compete with Rapp.

Couldn’t agree more

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

It would be nice to have if we were a team with cap space, but we aren't. Taylor Rapp is our only starting safety and I don't even like him that much. Why are we spending money on rotational players when there is a gaping hole at S?

Because this draft is full of safties and you can get them in round 2 or 3 and they will still produce behind Rapp.

If we could snag Armstead we would be setup for the draft to move up in round 1 and snag a WR hotshot mo fo!

Just now, bills742 said:

well that sucks. JAX is getting STRONG!!!

Texans, Jax and Phins having major strong FA period.

4 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Because this draft is full of safties and you can get them in round 2 or 3 and they will still produce behind Rapp.

If we could snag Armstead we would be setup for the draft to move up in round 1 and snag a WR hotshot mo fo!

well that sucks. JAX is getting STRONG!!!

Texans, Jax and Phins having major strong FA period.

Phins ? I don’t agree lol

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Another tax free pay day.  

These guys aren’t serious.  

—Me when I see guys signing in Florida Tennessee or Vegas.  

Fwiw, the difference here between certain states and other states is only

going to get more drastic as time goes on.

We can act like this isn’t a thing, but it 100% is.

Having an elite QB is the only thing that offsets it. 

Just now, SCBills said:

It absolutely is a thing I agree.  

Which is why in the Allen era you better move heaven and earth to win the whole thing.   

Just now, SCBills said:

when has "having an elite QB" offset anything since Josh has become elite? when we signed Von and his contract crippled this franchise? and STILL had to overpay for him? 

3 minutes ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

Von Miller ruined everything with this franchise in 2022

Maybe when he tore his ACL, not the fact he signed with the team. 

It was a smart swing, unfortunate outcome. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2