Do The Bills Have Enough "Elite" Talent?

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's pretty premature to call McDuffie a top three cornerback in the NFL lol

Plenty of corners have short stints of success and fall off but to be top five you need to get it done for a long time.. he's no prime Gilmore

And people thought the Bills middle linebacker would suck this year only to be in shock and awe about how good our development can actually be

The bills have plenty of talent established and rising to contend

We got destroyed by the injury bug.. and still lost because of wide right

The Gap is not huge

If you read my post, I was putting any all pros as elite as I wanted to bring some objectively to this.

And he was voted 1st team all pro.

Taron isn't elite either in my opinion but I put him in because he was voted 2nd team all pro

• Like (+1) 1

QB check

WR 1 not anymore

TE/WR 2 maybe

EDGE no

DT yes

LB will see with Milano

I'm not as concerned about not having $40M tied up in our starting secondary like we did the last 3 years. It got us bounced early. That money needs to go  chunk  plays, stops and turnovers.

we have 2 yes,  and a bunch of maybe right now.

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

QB check

WR 1 not anymore

TE/WR 2 maybe

EDGE no

DT yes

LB will see with Milano

I'm not as concerned about not having $40M tied up in our starting secondary like we did the last 3 years. It got us bounced early. That money needs to go  chunk  plays, stops and turnovers.

we have 2 yes,  and a bunch of maybe right now.

You think Ed Oliver is a top 3 DT in this league?

Chris Jones, Aaron donald, Maduabuike, Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence?

Probably a few more as well you can debate ahead of Oliver

• Agree 4

It's an interesting post.

I would have Diggs and Cook included in your elites for Buffalo. Douglas is right on the cusp of elite too.

After that, the OP premise is correct with many good players like Dawkins, Kincaid, Oliver, and Douglas. Benford and Bernard look well on their way to being very good just need a bigger sample size. 

Of course we lack an elite HC. 

But though I refuse to call Beane a genius, he probably is a top 5 and therefore elite GM

One last point, an elite QB probably makes up for 5-10 other elite guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

If you read my post, I was putting any all pros as elite as I wanted to bring some objectively to this.

And he was voted 1st team all pro.

Taron isn't elite either in my opinion but I put him in because he was voted 2nd team all pro

I understand that but the bills also have high end talent that isn't all pros either

Ed Oliver was top three for pure defensive tackles in the entire NFL for run stuffing tfl... Top three in sacks 

Purely an animal now in the upper echelon of NFL

Diggs , Got suplexed earlier in the season and was clearly hampered the entire year.. still caught over 105 balls for close to 1200 yards

That would put him 6th in the AFC... Still completely upper echelon while being banged up

Dalton Kincaid broke every bills rookie tight end record... And will probably be a star with Josh Allen

Not to mention James Cook was 3d in the NFL in yards from scrimmage for RBs.. James Cook might not be the best running back in the NFL but he had one of the best seasons

Douglas literally stepped into our defensive back room and played like an All-Pro from day one.. dude was literally a blanket.. he was so locked in it was very nice

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

No.

And Taron isn't "elite" in my opinion. He is top 5 at his limited position, but I have trouble labeling that elite. I know one can make the argument that if you're top 5 at any position, then you're "elite". But I wouldn't call a top 5 long snapper "elite" either.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

So for the bills I got 3 players but technically only 2 last year cause the Milano injury.

-Josh, Milano, Taron. 

Also gotta hope that Milano comes back at 100%.  If he loses much he can be good but not elite again.  We'll see/hope.  

• Agree 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I understand that but the bills also have high end talent that isn't all pros either

Ed Oliver was top three for pure defensive tackles in the entire NFL for run stuffing tfl... Top three in sacks 

Purely an animal now in the upper echelon of NFL

Diggs , Got suplexed earlier in the season and was clearly hampered the entire year.. still caught over 105 balls for close to 1200 yards

That would put him 6th in the AFC... Still completely upper echelon while being banged up

Dalton Kincaid broke every bills rookie tight end record... And will probably be a star with Josh Allen

Not to mention James Cook was second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage.. James Cook might not be the best running back in the NFL but he had one of the best seasons

For sure I don't disagree with you that the bills don't have good to very good players.

Like Oliver, Dawkins, cook, Douglas, bernard fit that bucket, plus even some more probably.

But I still think they lack true game breakers outside of Josh.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

No.

And Taron isn't "elite" in my opinion. He is top 5 at his limited position, but I have trouble labeling that elite. I know one can make the argument that if you're top 5 at any position, then you're "elite". But I wouldn't call a top 5 long snapper "elite" either.

I agree with you. I just put him in based on the criteria I put in as I wanted some objectivity.

I also don't think he's an elite player

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

You think Ed Oliver is a top 3 DT in this league?

Chris Jones, Aaron donald, Maduabuike, Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence?

Probably a few more as well you can debate ahead of Oliver

Strike Oliver then but when he had Daquan next to him he could do damage.

Now we are down to 1 player who is a difference maker and the rest maybes- even bleaker 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No.

Nickel corners play well over 50% of all defensive snaps on almost every team.

Taron was 89% last year. 

His position is hardly limited. 

Nickel is far more important than a 1 tech DT, an off ball LB, or even your safeties.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

For sure I don't disagree with you that the bills don't have good to very good players.

Like Oliver, Dawkins, cook, Douglas, bernard fit that bucket, plus even some more probably.

But I still think they lack true game breakers outside of Josh.

I don't think Snead or McDuffie are game breakers

They are really good cornerbacks.. but they're not deion Sanders... And they're not moving the spread that much

The bills had three All pro defensive backs for years and it doesn't stop elite quarterbacks... Josh still balls out versus Kansas City

I think mahomes and Kelce and Chris Jones are there pure game wreckers... Hall of Fame guys who can take over any game

By and large part cornerbacks do not take over games unless your name is derelle revis or Deion Sanders

Tre White and stephon Gilmore we're both elite level corners in Buffalo that had plenty of detractors because even elite corners get beat pretty reg

Our own Stefan diggs has made All-Pro Ramsey look like a bench warmer at times lol

You need great corners but they don't move the needle much on the spread and they really don't wreck the game

• Disagree 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think Snead or McDuffie are game breakers

They are really good cornerbacks.. but they're not deion Sanders... And they're not moving the spread that much

The bills had three All pro defensive backs for years and it doesn't stop elite quarterbacks... Josh still balls out versus Kansas City

I think mahomes and Kelce and Chris Jones are there pure game wreckers... Hall of Fame guys who can take over any game

By and large part cornerbacks do not take over games unless your name is derelle revis or Deion Sanders

Tre White and stephon Gilmore we're both elite level corners in Buffalo that had plenty of detractors because even elite corners get beat pretty reg

Our own Stefan diggs has made All-Pro Ramsey look like a bench warmer at times lol

You need great corners but they don't move the needle much on the spread and they really don't wreck the game

I don't know though. Those guys are unreal.

Like even in the SB- Purdy kept testing them and it didn't work out at all. And that's with throwing to Aiyuk/samuel, very good receivers.

When he started to go to Jennings, that's where he had success.

I think those guys are game breakers as they dictate matchups, but that's just my opinion 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why ? He plays the hardest position on the defense and does it very well. 

I hear you. He just didn't perform too well in key situations ImO

-Gave up game winning TD to Gesicki

-Set up game winning field goal for Denver after blatant 25 yard PI call.

And let's be honest, he got away with murder when he hauled down Darren Waller in that giants last play.

Thats a lot of key mistakes for an "elite" player in my humble opinion 

• Agree 1