Joe Marino's Locked on Bills Mock Free Agency

53 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cool plan, but Epenesa at 7m/yr? Hard pass. 

Yup lost me at the Epenesa contract. Starting money for a guy that’s barely done anything 

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

Yup lost me at the Epenesa contract. Starting money for a guy that’s barely done anything 

Modern day free agency. Someone will pay him 15. Some team with loads of capspace that thinks he's ready for a larger role and ready to break out. It won't be us.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's a hard position to learn in the NFL.  Plenty of TEs have had their best seasons in their late 20s and early 30s.  Knox is 27 and he's a starting caliber TE.  If we cut him, we'd need to develop or sign another TE.  Dalton Schultz is a comparable player and Houston just signed him for 3 years and $36 million, about what Knox is getting... 

Shuzla is TE1.   Knox is unquestionably TE2.  Not a reasonable comp.

Just now, Chaos said:

Shuzla is TE1.   Knox is unquestionably TE2.  Not a reasonable comp.

That's debatable.  Kincaid is really more of a WR...I'd say they are 1A and 1B.

37 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

First, I listen to Marino's podcast and I enjoy it because he is pragmatic and brings reasonable arguments, he is not always right but his thought process is good.  What Marino said is what would need to happen.  Knox is a restructure, not an extension.  Not sure what you mean by same outcome without extending, guessing you mean restructure but that is what he is proposing for Knox already.  Dawkins is an extension and that is needed to lower his cap number, he is in the last year of his deal..  He already has void money next year so they could add to that but they could extend  him to keep him on the team after this year.  

I hate the Zeke signing, he is done, I would rather keep the 6th or 7th round pick.

Did you watch Zeke last year?  The guy is not done, he looked pretty darn good.  He would be a nice compliment to Cook and he can still catch the ball.   He’s not being asked to carry the load, just be the #2.

27 minutes ago, DJB said:

That’s not CLOSE to starting money for a DE.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Did you watch Zeke last year?  The guy is not done, he looked pretty darn good.  He would be a nice compliment to Cook and he can still catch the ball.   He’s not being asked to carry the load, just be the #2.

That’s not CLOSE to starting money for a DE.

I live in NE so yes I did.  He averaged 3.5 YPC

Just now, Chaos said:

You comment indicates you don't underststand the point of  the discussion. 

I promise I do underststand, I also understand as well. 

It’s a plenty reasonable comp. Schultz is a comparable player to Dawson Knox, their spots on the depth chart are a product of their environment and not their talent. The Bills have two starting caliber TE, Houston has one. 

I’ll ask again, would Dalton Schultz be TE1 here in Buffalo? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Not a fan of Duvernay.  Maybe he's good at PR, but I recall quite a few drops while in Baltimore.  How is he different than Sherfield?

Duvernay may not be an every down player. Right now he’d be a #5 but man is he special with the ball in his hands. I’m still holding out that he can turn into an every down player but even if he’s our returner and gadget guy he’s amazing at both of those roles. Way better than McKenzie or Harty

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, beebe said:

i get that the bills have no choice but to restructure Allen, but he has counted less than 10% against the cap the last few years, including this past year. the depth on the roster wasn't good enough to overcome injuries. now his cap figure is going to be about double what it's been for remaining years on his contract, and that's before taking into account that he deserves a new deal. the bills have to start crushing drafts. endless restructures, void year contracts etc is not sustainable. 

it started this year with bloody Wednesday. We kept running it back with the too old/too expensive old guard chasing a ring and finally had to turn the roster without winning one. next year is Von, Diggs and maybe a restructure at TE with Knox to drop him to TE 2 money. No more money on special teams moving forward as well. it will be almost all youth with an old  captain trying to keep it together

I'm a broken record on this- 13 seconds was our chance and Mc Dermot froze up and blew it. we could have reset the roster after that, we wouldn't have needed to reach for Von and we would be looking at things in a whole different light  right now. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

There is no debate. Kincaid is TE1. 

He’s certainly a better receiver than Knox, but he hasn’t learned to be an effective blocker yet. That limits his usefulness to the slot while Knox can play in-line. Until Kincaid develops as a blocker those two play different positions, even if they’re both labeled TEs. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He’s certainly a better receiver than Knox, but he hasn’t learned to be an effective blocker yet. That limits his usefulness to the slot while Knox can play in-line. Until Kincaid develops as a blocker those two play different positions, even if they’re both labeled TEs. 

Hope this clears things up for the confused.  I am not going to do the research, but I am guessing Knox is the highest paid TE2 in the NFL. 

image.thumb.png.e5adab99a66fe8531b475bc7d7350a6a.png

11 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

No way am I giving epenesa 20 m sorry.

I love his work but he lost a little flcred on talent evaluation with the Bernard and Edmunds takes.

I could see them maybe getting AJE on a 3 yr. 27mil. with a good signing bonus. Wouldn't mind that at all. I'd really be surprised if some team went over the top to pay him for a starting role. I think he's got it in him and would rather it be here.

Then again, I wouldn't mind hearing tomorrow, they got their hands on Bryce Huff.

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hope this clears things up for the confused.  I am not going to do the research, but I am guessing Knox is the highest paid TE2 in the NFL. 

Not really. Actual player usage is what is important - and right now their usage is different. Which player someone labels TE1 is immaterial. That was my point, not that a specific player deserves that label. 

Edited to add: I think the long-term plan is for Kincaid to develop as a blocker and become a do-it-all TE. That will pave the way for the team to move on from Knox. But Kincaid is not there yet. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not really. Actual player usage is what is important - and right now their usage is different. Which player someone labels TE1 is immaterial. That was my point, not that a specific player deserves that label. 

Edited to add: I think the long-term plan is for Kincaid to develop as a blocker and become a do-it-all TE. That will pave the way for the team to move on from Knox. But Kincaid is not there yet. 

I don't get the Knox hate. He spent all of 2022 having to pass pro for a crappy Oline. God forbid Kincaid gets injured.

• Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Talk about lack of understanding. You seem to be the expert lol