Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It’s reloading.

The Bills have 20 of the 22 starters set.

It’s all about depth and Beane can usually pull a rabbit or two out of his hat pertaining to that.

Not worried about the Bills in the least until the divisional round. It is at that point where the waters start to get murky.

Unless Allen goes down, the Bills are ALWAYS a contender. The rest of the team has to catch up to him starting in the divisional round though.

Yes, it's kind of a rolling cap restoration project.  Don't make any big splashes this year; establish a competitive starting team; draft WR and DL with your first two picks; stock the PS and some of the backup positions with remaining draft picks; then do a second cap purge next year with Von and...? Their O will be dynamic enough for Josh to take them to a SB.  If not this year, they will be back in position to make the necessary moves next year.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

With the remaining restructures/extensions, would it be possible cap-wise to sign Curtis Samuel and Justin Simmons? 

I don't know if they will come away with Simmons but have to imagine we will come away with a veteran DT and S once the dust settles.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like there are still some fans who don't understand the situation we're in w/ the cap.  Which is understandable - this is literally the 1st time most of us have had to experience the kind of tight budget that happens when a top tier QB's 2nd contract kicks in.

We don't have the money to sign guys we all want to see signed.  From now on, Beane is going to have to piece together certain areas of the team w/ middle-tier players and bargain hunting.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

I feel like there are still some fans who don't understand the situation we're in w/ the cap.  Which is understandable - this is literally the 1st time most of us have had to experience the kind of tight budget that happens when a top tier QB's 2nd contract kicks in.

We don't have the money to sign guys we all want to see signed.  From now on, Beane is going to have to piece together certain areas of the team w/ middle-tier players and bargain hunting.

I think a lot of us realize that.  It's just frustration that we're falling further behind KC. 

Guys like Jones & Epenesa truly do make a lot of sense as must re-signs, but these are the same types of guys that are NOT moving the needle when we get to the high stakes games.

Re-signing them basically takes us out of the running (it seems) for maybe one guy who does.  But then we're insanely undermanned on the DL, so it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Im not saying you are wrong looking at some of the carry on  going on around here … but what’s there to understand ? They wasted their money on some bad signings ..particularly Miller .. so it means they got to fill their holes with AJ Epenesa for $6m a year instead of Danielle Hunter at $25m a year ..

All the sulking in the world ain’t  going to change that until 2025 .. ( hopefully)  …

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think a lot of us realize that.  It's just frustration that we're falling further behind KC. 

Guys like Jones & Epenesa truly do make a lot of sense as must re-signs, but these are the same types of guys that are NOT moving the needle when we get to the high stakes games.

Re-signing them basically takes us out of the running (it seems) for maybe one guy who does.  But then we're insanely undermanned on the DL, so it is what it is.

For sure.  I think this is something else we all know, but worth repeating - we're going to have to draft very well moving forward if we want to stay in contention.  That's also true of the Chiefs & Bengals.  Beane has been a good drafter, but he'll have to be better now.

It helps that we'll have more picks this year & probably next year too.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Falling behind KC????

How?????

In 2024 if the Bills have a healthy Matt Milano, a healthy Daquan Jones, and a healthiER Von Miller, the D will already be better.  And yes, that's even acknowledging the Safety situation because if there's one thing McDermott always gets right it's Safeties.  Plus Rasul Douglas will be with the team for the whole year.

Our offense is almost entirely the same, with the exception of Morse and Gabe, but I think it's addition by subtraction with Gabe and McGovern fits more into what the Bills are moving towards in offensive philosophy.

We also still have plenty of really valuable free agents out there and the draft is still coming up.

All of this is without accounting for other factors like a full offseason for Brady to implement his offense and potential growth from young players.

R-E-L-A-X... we gooood.

56 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im not saying you are wrong looking at some of the carry on  going on around here … but what’s there to understand ? They wasted their money on some bad signings ..particularly Miller .. so it means they got to fill their holes with AJ Epenesa for $6m a year instead of Danielle Hunter at $25m a year ..

All the sulking in the world ain’t  going to change that until 2025 .. ( hopefully)  …

They fixed the Miller signing already.  And I bet he looks much more like himself next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Things will improve rapidly when Von, Knox & Diggs contracts (dead cap) are reasonable to end. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

We have to be under by now. Any updates? 

We have to be under the cap by today. I'm sure we were. 

However, I don't think it's by much at all. After re-signing Daquan Jones, AJ Epenesa, Taylor Rapp, David Edwards, and Cam Lewis and signing Mitch Trubisky, Nicholas Morrow, Mack Hollins, and Matt Haack - in trying to keep track of the moves we made to get out from under 42+ over and factoring in those moves - I have us "right up on it", as Beane likes to say.

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

However, I don't think it's by much at all. After re-signing Daquan Jones, AJ Epenesa, Taylor Rapp, David Edwards, and Cam Lewis and signing Mitch Trubisky, Nicholas Morrow, Mack Hollins, and Matt Haack - in trying to keep track of the moves we made to get out from under 42+ over and factoring in those moves - I have us "right up on it", as Beane likes to say.

He will now make further restructuring moves as required to create more space for any further signings …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He will now make further restructuring moves as required to create more space for any further signings …

Of course, we pretty much have to. Though the levers we can pull are getting pretty slim. Pretty much a Taron extension and an Oliver re-structure are the ones i'm waiting on. Hopefully they can get an extension done soon. The only others I can really think of are a Martin release that saves about a million, a Milano re-structure, and/or a Diggs re-structure. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah. At this point the only moves I can see that free up enough cap space to sign anyone are a Taron Extension (which will likely be for in season moves) and a Diggs restructure (which would have been quick and easy to do if the team wanted)

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Falling behind KC????

How?????

I wouldn't say we're "falling behind," but the Chiefs definitely have the advantage (again).

-KC as-is was good enough to win the Super Bowl already

-Their biggest needs are tackle & WR, and they've got the money to pursue one while drafting the other.

-Resigned Chris Jones.

-Now have $15.3 million in cap space.

-Just like we expect for our players, it's fair to expect many of their young guys will improve after another season.

Here's some of their recent draft picks that have become starters & will likely improve even more -

Offense:

Rashee Rice WR (2023 2nd round

Wayna Morse LT (2023 3rd round)

Isiah Pacheco RB (2022 7th round)

Creed Humphrey C (2021 2nd round) - 2nd team All Pro, 2 x Pro Bowl

Trey Smith RG (2021 6th round)

Defense:

Trent McDuffie CB (2022 1st round) - 1st team All Pro

George Karlaftis DE (2022 1st round)

Bryan Cook SS (2022 2nd round)

Nick Bolton MLB (2021 2nd round)

Their OL is mostly young draft picks, their defense was #2 in ypg & resigned their best player, and they've got more money to spend. Not only that, they've got that Super Bowl credibility that'll attract players easier like the Pats were able to do. The Bills have less money, older team, key players coming off injuries, and only made it to the divisional round. That's saying nothing about the obvious coaching disadvantage.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I wouldn't say we're "falling behind," but the Chiefs definitely have the advantage (again).

-KC as-is was good enough to win the Super Bowl already

-Their biggest needs are tackle & WR, and they've got the money to pursue one while drafting the other.

-Resigned Chris Jones.

-Now have $15.3 million in cap space.

-Just like we expect for our players, it's fair to expect many of their young guys will improve after another season.

Here's some of their recent draft picks that have become starters & will likely improve even more -

Offense:

Rashee Rice WR (2023 2nd round

Wayna Morse LT (2023 3rd round)

Isiah Pacheco RB (2022 7th round)

Creed Humphrey C (2021 2nd round) - 2nd team All Pro, 2 x Pro Bowl

Trey Smith RG (2021 6th round)

Defense:

Trent McDuffie CB (2022 1st round) - 1st team All Pro

George Karlaftis DE (2022 1st round)

Bryan Cook SS (2022 2nd round)

Nick Bolton MLB (2021 2nd round)

Their OL is mostly young draft picks, their defense was #2 in ypg & resigned their best player, and they've got more money to spend. Not only that, they've got that Super Bowl credibility that'll attract players easier like the Pats were able to do. The Bills have less money, older team, key players coming off injuries, and only made it to the divisional round. That's saying nothing about the obvious coaching disadvantage.

Bottom line they draft a hell of a lot better than us.