Neanderthal Footprints Found in Normandy, France

Tiberius

Pretty cool 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/sep/10/neanderthal-footprints-found-in-france-offer-snapshot-of-their-lives

Scientists have found hundreds of perfectly preserved footprints, providing evidence that Neanderthals walked the Normandy coast in France.

The prints suggest a group of 10-13 individuals, mostly children and adolescents, were on the shoreline 80,000 years ago.

Neanderthals, the closest evolutionary cousins to present-day humans and primates, have long been thought to have lived in social groups, but details have been hard to establish.

The 257 footprints discovered at Le Rozel in western France give a snapshot of how Neanderthals lived and suggest they may have been taller than previously thought.

Jérémy Duveau, a co-author of a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, said the prints were left in muddy soil and quickly preserved by wind-driven sand.

“It was incredible to observe these tracks, which represent moments in the lives of individuals, sometimes very young, who lived 80,000 years ago,” said Duveau, of the French National Museum of Natural History.

The site was discovered by Yves Roupin, an amateur archaeologist, in the 1960s, but it was not until 2012, when it was threatened by wind and tidal erosion, that government-funded excavations started.

Very, very old mixed marriage

DNA test of 90,000-year-old bone reveals human hybrid

Researchers in Germany say they have proof that a pre-historic teenager had parents who were members of two different species of pre-humans. Scientists used DNA from a 90,000-year-old bone fragment found in Siberia. The tests found that while the girl's mother was Neanderthal, her father came from a newly discovered species. Charlie D'Agata reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/dna-test-of-90000-year-old-bone-reveals-human-hybrid/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab4i

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/29/2024 at 6:33 PM, Jukester said:

Mist’ve been some nap you took. That was over 4 years ago.

Here’s a newer one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/bones-tools-cave-could-rewrite-history-humans-neanderthals-europe/

To be fair, there was no date on that article, and one of the headlines of another was about Tuesday's presidential primaries.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

To be fair, there was no date on that article, and one of the headlines of another was about Tuesday's presidential primaries.

Well Neanderthals and presidential primaries are related to each other.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm reading through the thread here and getting an idea for a cool TV series..

Set when there were multiple "human like" species wandering around the Earth.  That's a weird and creepy time in the evolution of man.

With modern CGI and special effects, I bet you could get the various character to look quite convincing.

Imagine if you could go out in the woods today and find 99% human-like creatures...that weren't human!

Weird!

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Set when there were multiple "human like" species wandering around the Earth.  That's a weird and creepy time in the evolution of man.

With modern CGI and special effects, I bet you could get the various character to look quite convincing.

Imagine if you could go out in the woods today and find 99% human-like creatures...that weren't human!

Weird!

I don't know.... I can go outside RIGHT NOW and find a bunch of weirdos who look nothing alike.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Weird!

Subtract 7 or 8 percent off that 99 and you’re basically talking about Canadians.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:30 AM, Nextmanup said:

Weird!

image.png.e80e915233f6d87570fd12463e910696.png

This movie, star Tommy Chong's daughter, does that. I like the movie but its really different