Old school wrestling fans, Ole Anderson has died

Just Jack

I had read Ole Anderson wasn’t doing well health wise. He was a good old school wrestler when pro wrestlers actually could wrestle compared to the gymnastics you see in professional wrestling on television today. Ole Anderson was a brawler style wrestler who gave no quarter or took no quarter as part of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew and then the Four Horsemen. Just a tough wrestler in the Harley Race type of wrestler that we also lost a year ago who was just tough as nails. Harley Race started out in Carnival Wrestling as a teenager. Back then you wrestled 7 days a week sometimes multiple times on Saturday for television tapings. You had to be tough to be a professional wrestler back then. I used to watch NWA Mid Atlantic and Maple Leaf Wrestling, AWA Wrestling, World Class Championship Wrestling out of Dallas, WWF wrestling that wasn’t very good to watch but they had the money capital to buy the wrestlers out of the other territories and NWA Georgia Championship Wrestling 6:05 until 8:05 and they beat the crap out of the wrestlers every week. I prefer Southern Style Wrestling over the WWF/WWE style of wrestling. Southern Wrestling didn’t fool around talking as much they got in the ring and beat the crap out of each other every week there was a par six brawl with all hell breaking loose in the television studio. It was a wonderful professional wrestling era but I realize times change and society is too soft for Harley Race and Ole Anderson wrestling today. Right or wrong it’s just the way it is. At least I have my memories and YouTube to enjoy the old school wrestling matches from back in the day when I was a kid. Rest in peace Ole Anderson you were entertaining and fun to watch weekly for a couple hours to have some fun which is what life is all about enjoying yourself once in a while in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't remember Ole Anderson, may he rest in peace.

I do remember Chief White Owl and the Tomahawk chop

Dominic Denucci and the sleeper hold

Crusher Verdu

Waldo von Erich

The Executioner

Eric the Red, etc

Me and my brothers would laugh our asses off watching the matches as kids, highly entertaining.

I haven't seen a fake wrestling match since the early 70s

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:39 PM, BillsPride12 said:

I was a pretty avid Wrestling fan growing up but I never had a clue until just seeing this tonight that Gorilla Monsoon was from Rochester! 

Yup, we get to claim Gorilla.

Chyna as well, although she never repped us as far as I know. Supposedly went to Penfield High. 

There's been some others that made it, like Roadblock from WCW. 

RIP Luke Harper/Brodie Lee  :( :( :( 

18 minutes ago, Fr. Jerk said:

Yup, we get to claim Gorilla.

Chyna as well, although she never repped us as far as I know. Supposedly went to Penfield High. 

There's been some others that made it, like Roadblock from WCW. 

RIP Luke Harper/Brodie Lee  :( :( :( 

I never knew that about Chyna either until I saw the A&E Biography on her but yeah I don't remember her ever repping the Bills either.  It would be awesome if Gorilla was a Bills fan but I feel like we would have heard something if that were the case.  Lex Luger is an OP Native and is a huge Bills fan.  When you think about timeline Gorilla I'm sure would have been out of the Rochester area way before Bills football was relevant so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have any Bills connections

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I never knew that about Chyna either until I saw the A&E Biography on her but yeah I don't remember her ever repping the Bills either.  It would be awesome if Gorilla was a Bills fan but I feel like we would have heard something if that were the case.  Lex Luger is an OP Native and is a huge Bills fan.  When you think about timeline Gorilla I'm sure would have been out of the Rochester area way before Bills football was relevant so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have any Bills connections

Correction on my part - I meant she never really repped Rochester. As for being fans of the Bills, I don't know. Those were just some wrestlers from the area that made it to the bigger stage. 

Luger is billed as being born in Buffalo but I heard his parents had a store in Rochester (for pianos, I think) and had a big pic of him on one of the walls.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fr. Jerk said:

Correction on my part - I meant she never really repped Rochester. As for being fans of the Bills, I don't know. Those were just some wrestlers from the area that made it to the bigger stage. 

Luger is billed as being born in Buffalo but I heard his parents had a store in Rochester (for pianos, I think) and had a big pic of him on one of the walls.  

I just got done reading his biography.  The parent store was in Buffalo.  I think he said it was near the windshield wiper plant.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Is the Biography worth a read? 

Yes.  I would rate it 7/10.  He is born again Christian, and the latter quarter of the book is a little preachy.  He certainly wouldn't be awarded citizen of the year at any point during his career.  It's worth the read.

• Thank you (+1) 1